“Major disappointment”

Ranked #51 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Montreal, Canada
“Major disappointment”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We booked this hotel for a sports tournament weekend. Usually the best part about a hotel for young teens is the pool... we were extremely disappointed because it was closed for repairs due to structural damage (an indication of how old the hotel is). When I asked why we hadn't been notified of this inconvenience, we were told it just recently happened. However, I've noticed here on TripAdvisor that the pool has been closed for awhile prior to our arrival.
Upon entering our room, we were happy to see that we had a fridge but our happiness was short lived. We opened it and were hit with an awful smell and to see it FULL of mold. Thankfully we were able to open the window to let some fresh air in the room. Maintenance was sent to the room to clean out the fridge.
There is a restaurant on site but it is not affiliated with the hotel and is only accessible by going outside. We had made arrangements to have breakfast vouchers for the entire team but they weren’t available when we arrived as was promised. We were pleased to see that the hotel compensated by organizing a free breakfast the first morning. The second morning, we expected the same thing but the restaurant explained that we should’ve received our vouchers. On went the coats and across to the hotel to be told that vouchers were available at a cost of $7.14 and were limited to as many people as were in each room. Back to the restaurant to announce to the others and then back to the hotel to purchase the vouchers. When we submitted the vouchers to the restaurant staff, we were told that it only provided us with the amount as indicated. Basically, we wasted our time buying a piece of paper when we could’ve just ordered and paid directly at the restaurant. There was absolutely no added value to having a ‘voucher’.
Our second day also met us with a broken toilet, which thankfully maintenance was able to fix fairly quickly.
That same day, when we got back to the hotel at 4 p.m. to relax between games, our room still hadn’t been cleaned. The front desk told us that they would clean it but it would have to be done right away. We refused since we wanted the time in the room and really had nowhere else to go.
The hotel requires major renovations and the administration should consider making it a smoke-free facility. The third floor is a smoking floor and the smell seems to permeate the whole hotel.
Sometimes we can overlook certain things when the price is right but to add insult to injury, we spoke with others who were staying at nicer hotels in the area and were either paying the same price or less for their stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NMacd22
Jocelyn B, General Manager at Travelodge Ottawa East, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

I appreciate the time you took to post a review regarding your recent stay at the Hotel. I am the new General Manager of the hotel and it is only through guest comments such as yours that we can continue to improve our operation. The closure of the pool is recent and it is my understanding that our Sales Manager did provide your group with vouchers to a wave pool in the area. I’m pleased that you and your Team enjoyed the complimentary breakfast on your first morning and I will be working with the owners of the restaurant located on the property to discuss the current voucher system. In future, if you would like your room cleaned earlier in the day, please don’t hesitate to speak with our Front Desk and our Housekeeping Department would be more than pleased to accommodate your request. Once again, thank you for your review and I do hope to host you again in future as our hotel operations improve.

Chris Pierce

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Belleville, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel a few times as it is one of the few places in Ottawa that is a hotel that has a water park inside for the children. I have found the decor to be a little dated but clean and the staff to be very friendly. The last time we stayed their were some Hockey families there and a few of the parents had issues with being quiet and respectful of others late into the hours of the night. The hotel was very accommodating with the issues from noise and gave a very appropriate adjustment to my rate for the night and were very apologetic.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms that are not attached to the pool area on the ground floor. The balcony rooms to t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jocelyn B, Assistant General Manager at Travelodge Ottawa East, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post an excellent review! Our hotel is a great value and our Housekeeping Department strives to provide spotlessly clean rooms. I'm disappointed that other guests disturbed your stay -- once a noise complaint is received guests are given one warning prior to eviction. Thank you once again for providing your feedback, your continued patronage and I look forward to hosting you again in future!

Jocelyn Brunet
Assistant General Manager
mississauga, Ontario
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I had stayed at this hotel this past summer for the Canada Day long weekend. The visit started off on a bad note as the hotel couldn't find our name in the reservation book. It took about 30 min for them to realize they had spelled our last name wrong and that yes in deed we did have a reservation.
The hotel itself was very nice. It is located close to downtown Ottawa and the Parliament Hill which we were going to. The staff was okay, not overly friendy or helpful but okay.
The room was quite big and so was the bathroom. We had lots of space for all of our things. It was clean and well taken care of.
This being the long weekend the hotel was quite busy and had a few younger groups staying there. Upon our return the first night we had noticed that some of these people were walking around the parking lot and toilet papering cars. In fact they were also kicking cars and being quite loud and disturbing. It seems that nobody that worked at the hotel had noticed this and there was no security around. We had to take it upon ourselves to go to the front desk and advise them of what was happening. We were quite afraid that our own car would get damaged.
The front desk told us that they didn't have their on security and they had to call an outside company to come and take care of the situation. This took a little while and in this time there was quite a lot of damage done outside.
Would I stay there again. Probably not. Too bad cause it's a good location and the prices were okay to but the lack of interest in what was happening didn't sit well with me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Rose E, General Manager at Travelodge Ottawa East, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Hello and thank you for the feedback from your stay in July. With a busy bar and restaurant on site, holiday events, can on occasion bring some revelers who tend to go overboard and that is what occurred on Canada Day. I apologies if staff members appeared to be disinterested, there is no real excuse for that type of behavior. We have since contracted a new security company who are excellent in their chosen field.

Travelers are raving about these Ottawa hotels

New Britain, Connecticut
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I went to this hotel on summer vacation. I booked this hotel on the Hotwire. But the hotwire did not noticed the smoking room. I have child, but they gave to me the smoking rooms. I want to move to non-smoking room, but they said to me "WE HAVE ONLY SMOKING ROOMS". And I entered the room, I can smell the stench of cigarettes. We could not sleep there. Finally I moved other hotel (Holiday Inn), and I paid a lot of money. But We could sleep comportly. I think this hotel is really junk.

Room Tip: Holiday Inn is good.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest, I apologies for the error in your booking through the third party site, it does happen from time to time. We were unable to provide you with a non smoking room when you arrived as we were sold out, however I completely understand your frustration. If in the future you wish to ensure the room type is available before you arrive I suggest calling the hotel directly to book or call and confirm before you arrive.
VEENENDAAL
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Booked along our trip and had a coupon. They appently didn't go together So they led us cancel the booking and accepted the coupon.
We got a good room with all the necessities.
the room was clean, beds were good and although the windows were at the parking lot, it was all quiet. Certainly a motel to go back to.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your encouraging words and comments, we are always happy to assist our guests at any time. We are looking forward to seeing you in the future.
Belleville, Canada
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Staff were very helpful , very close to 417 with Mcdonalds , Subway , Swiss Chalet and Tim Hortons all within walking distance . Rooms were small ( including bathroom), very dated and did not offer queen size beds. Our son liked pool and free Wifi with password for his "toys", down side was they did not have or offer hot tub .

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hello and thank you for sharing your stay at the hotel. I'm glad your son enjoyed the salt water pool and the free WIFI however disappointed that the hotel was not everything you were looking for.
Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The location is good for those wishing quick access to the 417. I had a king size bed which was very comfortable but took up most of the room. No problem as long as you don't plan to live in your room during your vacation. The staff was very friendly. The room was quiet, parking adequate and a Tim's next door. I would quite likely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Rose E, General Manager at Travelodge Ottawa East, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for your positive review, it is most welcome.