“Nice hotel, not bad location”

Radisson Hotel Ottawa Parliament Hill
Ranked #44 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Sudbury, Canada
“Nice hotel, not bad location”
Reviewed May 28, 2010

I personally loved the sleep number beds. My husband likes a bed a bit more soft then I do, so it was great to set the bed to our own comfort level. The hotel was in walking distance of everything. The staff were nice and helpful. And the price was decent. Good place to stay if you want a central location for our Nations capital!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 6, 2010

This hotel would be almost perfect if it weren't for their Sleep Number beds. I find them to be the most uncomfortable thing I've ever slept on. The remote control can be inconsistent with the number reading, even the doubles have two chambers so you have to balance the air perfectly, and sometimes they just plain don't work. This really isn't the hotels fault - Radisson Corporate has deemed them a standard in their rooms - but it is, in my opinion, the worst thing to note about this property.

Bed rant aside, this hotel is quite enjoyable. A modern lobby greets you, and I've never seen a line at check-in which means they are efficient at processing guests. A business centre with free computer is off to the right side of the desk.

Also in the lobby is the entrance to the restaurant. The Southern Cross is mainly a Mexican restaurant, with a few regular American entrees. I find the food to be fairly expensive, though portions are large. Lunch is also much cheaper. There are a few other places within one block of the property to eat at - the Glue Pot down the street is open late or the Black Bear pub behind the hotel is also another option.

Rooms are constantly being refreshed at the Radisson. New carpet has appeared in the hallway, and most rooms now have fridges. Bathrooms are regular sized, but with what seems like a larger counter than normal. There is a very small closet in the room beside the door. I would also recommend asking for a room that faces the street - rooms at the back face a dark inner courtyard and are uncomfortably close to the quasi hotel/apartments behind the Radisson.

Amenity wise - internet is provided via hardwire for free in the rooms. I've also heard they are getting wireless soon. Connection is fast, though I find sometimes it logs you out when you are using it and you have to log back in on a main webpage. There is a fitness centre in the basement that is small but practical. Two treadmills and a couple of other machines occupy the room. It's basic but you can get your cardio workout accomplished.

Lastly - this hotel is in central Ottawa but at the non-busy edge of downtown. Therefore you can rest assured that it is quiet and never noisy. A walk to Parliament Hill takes about 7-10 minutes, or you can cross over the bridge into Quebec to see Ottawa from across the river.

Overall - I like staying here, and appreciate the hotel for its friendliness and quiet location. There are tons of places to get food downtown and you are closer to lots of nice walking paths. I just wish they would change the beds.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Belfast
Reviewed April 1, 2010

I stayed here two weeks ago while in Ottawa on business. When i arrived at night by taxis the hotel seemed quite far out of the city, however it is only and 5 or 10 minute walk to the main city.

The hotel rooms are typically Radisson, well serviced and roomy. In addition, internet access. I didnt use the gym in the hotel, as there are plenty of runs around Ottawa available, and quite a number of runners. If you ask the front desk in the hotel they can point you in the right direction.

Overall, good hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Voorburg
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Visited Ottawa for business, employer booked me into this hotel. On the basis of previous reviews on Tripadvisor I was not expecting much, but the hotel exceeded my expectations. The room was good and everything was there, the bed was excellent. Service was friendly. The restaurant on site was good enough. All in all I could not have asked for better. Ottawa was rather dull and very cold.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Canada
Reviewed October 19, 2009

I'm not quite sure how this hotel got bad reviews - my experience was nothing but great!
Right from the initial phone call to inquire about rates I got fantastic service. The hotel is just on the edge of the main downtown core and a very short walk to the bike path and MKC City Whitewater paddling section of the Ottawa River.
I was travelling with my dog and I am pleased to say that it was the most positive experience I've ever had with a "pet friendly" hotel. I'm used to getting a bit of a runaround over staying with a dog - but not here! When they say they are pet friendly, they really mean it.
Check in and checkout was a breeze and upon returning to the hotel on my second night I was welcomed by name by the gentleman behind the desk. Top notch personalized service that didn't go unnoticed.
Ordered room service from the Southern Cross restaurant adjacent to the hotel and I have to say the food was fantastic! Delivered quickly and very, very good.
Overall, a great experience at the Radisson - I will definitely stay with them again the next time I'm in Ottawa!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank wavesandwater
niagara falls.canada
Reviewed October 15, 2009

We arrived at the hotel Radisson Parliament Hill. The check in was couteous and quick. Our room was a bit small and only had one window. It looked a little dark. We had a sleep number bed, We made seceral adjustments to the bed but could not get comfortable. The next morning we moved to another floor that had been redone. The room had two windows so nice and bright. The bed was a regular king(not sleep number) and it was one of the most comfortable hotels beds we have ever slept in. We found the staff including the maids very friendly and helpful. The rooms very very clean and the location was just a bit out of the center or you might say just on the edge of the center. Parking was a nightmare as the undergroud parking area is quite small. All cars have to be backed in. I guess so you will able to get out. A car cannot enter the underground parking if one is exiting. There is a red and green light sytem to let you know. I can appreciate that the way the underground parking area is there is not really much the hotel can do about it. The parking per night was $20.34 I guess that is including tax. Oh and the hotel had a pretty fair restauraut The Southern Cross (TexMex)To sum it up I would stay here again if the hotel had a better location.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple