“Pleasant & friendly Staff. Great room! First Time at a Sheraton!”

Sheraton Ottawa Hotel
Ranked #23 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Pleasant & friendly Staff. Great room! First Time at a Sheraton!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed as SPG member, booked through Starwood website. First time at Sheraton hotel property and was very pleased overall. Upgraded to Club level for the additional amenities and floor. The front desk team here are amazing. Ive never encountered such professional, caring and attentive staff! From check in to check out! Maxine is absolutely amazing. She was able to assist with an issue mentioned later here,
and help assist with possibly future travel. A great agent who takes much pride in her job and apperance. Exceeding expectations! The club floor is gorgeous: There is a hot and cold appetizer offerings in the evening from 5
To 7 pm, and u can relax there until 11 pm and breakfast offered in the morning. I didn't have breakfast but the appetizers were nice for most
Part the hot end options were soggy and not flavourful (breaded scallops and spring roll) there are complimentary drink selections (large amount) and the views from the club lounge are very nice. The entire space was warm and modern. As was the front lobby. As for the room it was very modern,
Decorated with blues and darks. I enjoyed it. The bed is probably one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on. And has head and foot board (sleigh bed) Linens crisp and pillows are great. Bath products are fresh, mandarin and mint and also have a Lufa. Bathroom a little exchausted( the tap was loose and seemed like it would fall off in bathtub, bathtub is very small size too it seems). The room was clean for most part but had some pocket change from previous guest on floor (which was nice to find 30 cents) and there were some previous guests hairs in bathroom. But overall clean, no stains, smelled clean and comfortable. Had a great sleep on this bed!. On 16th floor no street noise. The only real down side was: The room service was terrible. The server was very polite and quick. The food was very bad, no passion or love or care. Ordered a sandwich with three ingredients listed on menu that was missing two of them. Called down to inform and shortly after was brought up the missing parts on side plate to assemble on own and even the missing parts sent to rectify were incorrect yet still. The sandwich didnt taste fresh at all either i couldnt eat it in end. Server said was new cook as excuse to blame him or her yet the server still gave wrong items to me in effort to rectify so it would be equally both their fault to blame...Couldnt believe it. It was
unfortunate, however it was adjusted from bill and was offered a meal at their expense next visit. Didn't use the gym or pool but looked nice. Location is great and there's much around it. Everyone who works here when you see them in the halls, Elevators or public areas are very friendly and professional and seem to take much pride in their work. Always smiling and saying hello or holding door for guests. Besides the food and beverage department glitches, I trully enjoyed the property and I'm looking forward to returning
again. This is a gem in Ottawa!

• Stayed September 2013
SheratonOttawa, General Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Hello CanJAD,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am happy to hear that your overall visit was very pleasant. I will certainly share your gratitude with our entire front desk staff and Maxine in particular. It's wonderful to hear such great feedback. I am also happy that you found our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed to be so comfortable. Please accept our sincere apology for the experience you encountered with your in-room dining. This is definitely not indicative of the level of service, or food quality, we strive to provide our guests. I will share your feedback with our Chef and the entire food and beverage team. Despite this one unfortunate occurrence, it's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you will be back soon. We are looking forward to it.

Rob Roy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

Have stayed at a few Shereton's and have been happy each visit. The staff seem to genuinely enjoy their jobs and as a customer I have always been treated very well by every staff person, every time. I wouldn't say this is a five star hotel, but it is very nice, clean and the beds are great! Of all the hotels I have stayed at, every Shereton has great beds. Always have a great sleep. Their 'green' policy is an interesting choice on check in. Basically, you can forgo daily housekeeping service for in our case a $5 certificate to use in the hotel for each night stay. Not huge, basically got two lattes for our two nights. Not much really, but room service is not a big deal to my wife and I. I have to say, as an SPG member we got an outstanding room rate for our second and third night of our stay. Known as the "Payage" rate, I was so amazed that I did not book it online but called to confirm. It was true and we paid reg rate for the first night and our birth year for the second two nights! That was $45 for each of night two and three. This is not available at all hotels and you have to search for when it is offered, but when it is, what a deal! It is only good from Thurs to Sunday I believe so it is a weekend rate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelMax555
Hello TravelMax555,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It's great to hear how well you were treated by our staff and that our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds were so comfortable. I also want to thank you for your contribution to our "Make A Green Choice" program. Our commitment to protecting our planet is very important and this initiative has been well received by our guests. I am also very happy that you were able to take advantage of such a wonderful promotion such as our on-going "Birth Year" promo.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Great hotel, the staff is exceedingly helpful there. Good location for a short walk to Parliament and a slightly longer walk/short cab to the market (bars, restaurants, club area)

The rooms are nice, your typical Sheraton expectations.

Special thanks to front desk staff (all of them!) and Ian in the club lounge who's friendliness and caring demeanor made our stays here even better

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
SheratonOttawa, General Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Hello James,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I am delighted to hear that our staff treated you with such friendliness and care. It is also great that you found our rooms to be nice and location to be perfect. We truly appreciate you sharing such positive feedback.

Aylmer, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed here Friday/Sat/Sunday over the Labour Day long weekend. Valet parking went well, as did checking in. We were asked if wanted to forego housekeeping in return for loyalty points (which we don't actually collect or use) and because we were tired, we just said yes. BIG ISSUE. We went back to change that choice the same day because we realized we wouldn't be getting any new towels for three days (and we needed them because we obviously shower everyday). None were delivered. We asked two more times at the main desk and never did get any towels. We even asked the cleaning lady in the hallway for them, but none were ever left. We resorted to taking them from the pool area and taking some off a cart in the hallway.

There is buffet on the main floor (you can also order off a menu). It is $18pp and definitely not worth it. There isn't much else to choose from in the vicinity of the hotel, other than a Tim Horton's around the block. We ate at the hotel once (we had a 50% off card b/c a family member works for the hotel company). Make sure if you eat there at breakfast that you go earlier than 1 hour before they close. We had to wait and wait for them to bring more food out and then we had to fight for it as it was the last time they were going to bring food out. The bonus is that orange juice is included in the breakfast buffet and it is very good.

Usually hotels we stay at have a free coffee station. There is a coffee station, but be prepared to pay at least $4 for it and any other small food items. We received a coupon under our door for coffee, so it was free for us. Again, if you're up early, just walk around the block (not even a 5 minute walk) for Tim Hortons.

They did have free green apples on the service desk - they were fresh and very good!

The pool is very warm at over 80oC, but be warned that it is salt water.

It is only a 10 minute walk (at most) to the Parliament buildings. It is in a great location. If you want somewhere to eat/drink, it's best to walk further to the Byward Market area, which is past the Fairmount to the east. The restaurants in the area close to this hotel have poor reviews. If you want something to eat before 4pm, the mall across the street has various food outlets (Subway, Chinese food, Second Cup, etc). There are more on the block south of the hotel, right next to Tim Horton's. Restaurant wise, you'll need to walk/drive to get somewhere decent to eat.

It was a clean hotel. The rooms were updated, but the bathrooms could do with an update (toilet/tub/shower). Check in/out went smoothly. For the regular price, I would say it is super steep, but we got a deal so the price was beyond reasonable for us. I wouldn't pay full price for this hotel.

The AC/Heat unit was sort of messed up. Either the air conditioner was runner or the heater. We tried turning the fan off, but it didn't change the issue, so we were constantly turning up the heat or a/c!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Beth B
Hello Beth B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am sorry we were not able to exceed your expectations in all areas, but I am happy to hear that your arrival experience went well and that our location was convenient for you. I am disappointed to hear about the experience you had with our 'Make A Green Choice' program. Our intention with this new program is not to inconvenience our guests, but to allow them to partake in our green initiatives and contribute to protecting our planet. We are truly sorry you did not get your requested towels and this is not indicative of the service we strive to provide our guests. Thank you for the feedback regarding your dining experience at breakfast, I will certainly share your comments with our Chef.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

TORONTO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Flawless check in , receptionist was nice , provided info about the light & sound show at the parliament, sight seeing coupons and an area map. .the hotel is your typical Sheraton, lifts certainly need an upgrade, rooms very clean and spacious, bathrooms very clean with lots of amenities. The club lounge was the gem of the hotel, thanks to Ian at the club lounge with his pleasant character and professional/ friendly attitude, he is really super friendly and does his job with a heart, he treats every guest as a special guest ...Ian does a great job. My only take on the appetizers menu is for the 3 nights I stayed , the menu has not changed and was basically CURRY flavoured stuff, that was spicy for me and others have commented too and some had left without eating, there must be verities that satisfies every taste and not just one flavour every day
The hotel is a 5 min walk to the Parliament and the Hop on Hop off tour bus and a good 15 walk to the mall and Rideau canal boat tour.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Amek63
SheratonOttawa, General Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Hello Amek63,

Thank you for sharing your comments. I'm so happy to hear about your great experience and how special our staff made you feel. Ian, like many of our superstars, really goes out of his way to ensure that each and every guest has a pleasant and memorable experience in our newly renovated Sheraton Club Lounge. Thank you for the feedback regarding the evening menu, I will share this with our Chef. I will also be sure to forward your gratitude to Ian.

We look forward to your next visit.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed 3 nights at the Sheraton while attending a family wedding in Ottawa. I am a seasoned traveller and have stayed in hotels worldwide for both business and pleasure. Our stay at this hotel was among the finest hotel experiences I have had - ever! We had a flawless check in from the wonderful, helpful reception. The porter who helped us with our bags smiled every time I saw him and was exceptional. The rooms and beds in particular - ah, sheer heaven! One day we forgot to bring our do not disturb sign in and upon returning to our room at 4 saw that it hadn't been done ( our fault). No problem! A maid who happened to be walking down the hall cheerfully made up our room right on the spot. I was not feeling well that weekend - and that is when you appreciate this kind of service ( and those amazing beds and duvets!) the most. Just to top it off I left something in my hotel room and called them when I got back to Toronto. No problem! It was sitting on my doorstep in 2 days. Unbelievable.

I cannot say enough about this hotel. It was fabulous in every way! Than you Sheraton Ottawa for taking such good care of us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nordic5
Hello Nordic5,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are so delighted to hear that you consider your stay to be one of your best ever. What a compliment! I'm happy to hear that our staff was so helpful and accommodating. I will certainly give them your thanks for sending your forgotten items as quickly as they did. Thank you once again, we truly appreciate your great feedback.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel last week. It is a little older, but the location is great.

I thought the staff was exceptional, they are very knowledgable about the local area. The club lounge on the 17th floor had a great breakfast.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
SheratonOttawa, General Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Hello Faye W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I'm pleased to hear how impressed you were with our exceptional and knowledgeable staff. I'm also happy to hear that you experienced our newly renovated Sheraton Club Lounge, and its great breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres offerings. We appreciate you sharing your great feedback.