“Too many drills (and a sander and hammer too)”

Sheraton Ottawa Hotel
Ranked #24 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have been a Starwood Preferred Guest for years. Usually use Sheratons if I get a chance. On Business/Holiday, booked in no mention of renovations, next morning sometime before 7am people started to move furniture around in the room above us. Then still before 7 hammering and drilling and at seven sanding the floor. Complained told it would not happen the next day and was only being done because they were behind schedule.

Starwood Preferred Guests Lounge not available either and the breakfast provided instead was pretty craby (read that as English understatement)

Next day, same performance. Not again. Booked out was very reluctantly gived a slight reduction in the price. No compensation for ruined time off in an otherwise hectic biusiness trip.

Why when you book can they not tell you upfront that there are problems with the hotel rather than burying it in small print deep in the booking form?

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Ottawa Hotel

Reviewed October 18, 2012

There was no valet when we arrived late at night, instead of accepting the car keys we offered her the check in clerk told us to go outside and wait for the valet to return. I asked for a wine glass, she told me to go to the bar and ask there. Not very welcoming and not what I expect from a Sheraton Hotel.

In our room the disappointment continued, we were right by the elevators and the room had 2 beds instead of the king that we booked. The piped music from the elevator lobby was clearly audible in our room. I called "guest services" asking that it be turned off but was told that she had no control over it but she could see if she could find another room that we could sleep in but leave our bags etc in the existing room. I declined the invitation to wander the hotel corridors half dressed in the middle of the night. When we climbed into bed we realized that the 2 beds are not even queens but doubles with barely 10 inches between the bed and the wall.

We have a poor room compounded by a callous attitude... If you are visiting Ottawa stay at the Marriott Residence around the corner instead.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Well I travel a lot for work and for me an hotel room is more then just a place to sleep. I work long hours in my room and usually stay in the hotel when I am not shooting on location. Long hours of editing in a small and filthy room not my cup of tea! So this is why I love to stay at an Starwood hotel, specially this one! The location is great, the staff is friendly and experience, one of the cleanest hotel you can find. Comfy rooms and beds. This is a full service hotel with concierge, porters and valet. I would recommend. They even have fresh water for your pet in the lobby!

Room Tip: Any room! the ice machines are in a quiet room with a door so the rooms will not get the usual distu...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Epicure30
SheratonOttawa, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Hello Epicure30,

Thanks for taking time to share your experiences at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel.

Maybe on your next stay you can get some work done in the Sheraton Link and people watch with a cup of Starbucks at the same time.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Best Regards,
Amanda

Reviewed October 8, 2012

For starters you couldn't get a better location for a business hotel in Ottawa, right in the heart of down town and a couple of blocks walk from everywhere. The hotel itself is a typical Sheraton, so it's predictably average in that regard. The rooms themselves are variable, there has been some refurbishment this year so some are brand new and others are a little faded. The gym and lap pool are good and never crowded and the club floor is fairly decent with nice snacks in the evening. The restaurant has a new chef who does standard traditional dishes well, although as is typical for a hotel the price is not particularly good value.

The thing that sets this Sheraton apart though are the staff, they have an immense capacity for making you feel welcome and somehow effortlessly remember the names and likes/dislikes of dozens of regular visitors. This personal touch is what has me returning every time I visit Ottawa.

Room Tip: Request a King at booking as they have often allocated them all by check-in
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Alex B
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My spouse and I stayed Friday night in Ottawa, Sept 28, after spending several hours at the Ottawa home design and cottage show. We stay at this property a few times per year and this stay was among the best. After dining at a local restaurant Friday evening, we enjoyed a nightcap at Sasha's Bar before retiring for the night. Bartender Ricardo was his normal welcoming self and he fixed our drinks perfectly - gracias! Saturday morning, we thoroughly enjoyed the buffet breakfast at the Carleton Grill and the service of our waitress, Sylvie. The very large selection of cold and hot foods was appreciated, particularly because it featured many very healthy alternatives. We look forward to our next stay in Ottawa at the Sheraton on Albert Street.

Room Tip: Suggest you ask for a room on level 10 or higher to avoid the street noise
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Had to make a last minute trip to Ottawa and found a good deal with the Sheraton. They were very accomodating and I found the overall experience very good. I would certainly stay with them again. All of my meetings and such were within walking distance which was great.
Next time I hope to stay longer and take in the many sites!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
SheratonOttawa, General Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Hello LS,

Thanks for taking time to share your recent experience at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your quick visit, and we look forward to welcoming you once again. Hopefully you'll have the opportunity to explore downtown Ottawa at the same time!

Best Regards,
Rob Roy

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We arrived at the hotel at a very busy time as a lot of families were there like us dropping kids off at university. Check in was speedy and our room was very nice. However, we were invaded by ants and they very quickly moved us the next day to another room. We never ate in the hotel restaurants but the food on the club level was fine, not amazing or anything but sufficient. We parked in the hotel garage and it was fine as was the wifi within the room. Beds were very comfy and slept well. The hotel is walking distance to Sparks St, Parliament and Rideau Centre a great location to set off from.

Room Tip: Check that the room does not have those little ants. We were on the club floor and got access to fr...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family