“Going back in July” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Burlington
“Going back in July”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed last weekend in Ottawa, Ontario. We stayed at the Sheraton Ottawa.
Yes it is an older hotel, but they are currently renovating. We stayed on the 9th floor. View wasn't great but we weren't there for the view from our room.
We were walking distance to the Parliment Buildings and many more attractions; hence the reason we are returning in July. There is a tour on a double decker bus which is an on and off tour which means you can hop on anywhere and get off anywhere and get back on again...(you see what I mean). I can't wait. Even if the weather is crappy we will have a great time!! I will keep everyone posted.
Back to the Sheraton we were greeted in our room with the largest chocolate covered strawberries I have ever seen!! They were delicious too!!! The room was a little dated but huge and very clean. These rooms will also be renovated soon, as they are renovation the business rooms first.

Please do not eliminate this hotel. The location to attractions, restaurants etc is fabulous!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 9th floor. Very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tropical
SheratonOttawa, General Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Hello Tropical,

Thanks for posting comments from your recent stay at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel.

I'm pleased you had the opportunity to experience some of the great things the Nations Capital has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you again this summer.

Rob Roy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton in November 2011 with our 70lb labradoodle. We booked this hotel specifically because we were bringing our dog with us to Ottawa to visit friends and we needed a dog friendly hotel. Everything at the hotel was great. The room was spacious and the front desk lady put us at the end of the hallway so that the noise of other guests wouldn't bother the dog. This hotel is very close to Parliament Hill and a close walk to downtown. We used the valet parking and if we called for our car is was ready in 5 minutes.

Thank you to the Sheraton for being so welcoming to us and our dog. A dog bed and food and water dish was brought to our room within minutes of arriving. The customer service at this hotel was excellent for us. We couldn't ask for better.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy D
Hello Amy D,

Thanks for taking the time to post comments about your experience at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel.

I'm pleased that our team provided excellent customer service, and that our "Love your Dog" program was a hit with your dog.

We look forward to welcoming your family, including your Labrador again in the near future.

United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

Remember how "mid-century" exploded into everything design-hip by the 21st century?....well, perhaps that's the good fortune that might befall this establishment three decades from now when "iconic early eighties" becomes the next hot new thing: stucco popcorn ceilings, herringbone wallpaper, formica-panelled elevators etc. In the mean time, this place is just a sad dated relic, complete with worn carpets, harsh hallway lighting, bathrooms lifted from cheap suburban 80's subdivisions, cheap polyester curtain panels from Sears....and I could go on. Laundry bins on wheels seemed to be permanently parked in the hallways, further reinforcing the late-era soviet feel. Last time I stayed at a hotel like this was the Holiday Inn in Sarajevo- and there one has no choice. Am struck by the more favorable reviews on here- clearly from people that view Days Inn on road-side America to be a high-end experience. For the global business traveler, being stuck in hotels like this is why one aspires to career change or retirement. As a Canadian, I'm both saddened and struck by the general state of dowdy that characterizes the hospitality business across this great land, and why Canadians seem so oblivious to it. On the positive side: (1) staff were both friendly and helpful, (2) pillows were excellent, and (3) a bottle of Pellegrino and plate of fruit were left in the room (club floor)...brand and snack that defy the otherwise beer and chips image of the place. Appeal to hotel management: please put this old relic out of its misery and contract a desperately needed renovation and aesthetic upgrade.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Globetrekker63
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

Concierges are all very friendly, great central location to a lot of historic sites right in downtown

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Amagad
SheratonOttawa, General Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Hello Amagad,

Thank you for posting comments regarding your recent stay at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our central location downtown, which is just a five minute walk to Ottawa's Parliament Buildings, the Rideau Canal and Elgin Street.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Moncton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

I need to share this with future potential customers. I have been overcharged on my credit card by 400$. I have been in contact with many customer representatives in the last week to try to resolve this issue and none have been open to discussing their mistake on this issue. So far, I have been accuse of not understanding the billing properly. The credit card company will resolve this issue for me but I have been very disappointed in the service at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank McGin600
SheratonOttawa, Director of Revenue at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Hello McGin600,

I apologize for any frustration caused from your billing issues. I believe the situation is a pre-authorization being held on the credit card from arrival at the hotel.

Please feel free to email me directly at rversace@sheratonottawa.com as I would be pleased to review your account with you further and ensure you are satisfied with the resolution.

Rosanna
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

Had read some mixed reviews on here but still decided to stay at the Sheraton, as I've had good experiences in the past. The Ottawa location is no exception: a very clean, well maintained establishment with nice spacious rooms. Not much of a view as we were facing other buildings, but the room was still very bright. The bathroom was a normal size and well kept, and included a great selection of bathing products. The bed was extremely comfortable with nice thick covers and tons of pillows - slept like a baby. The pool/gym area had just been redone from what I have heard, and it looks great. Being an SPG member, we also had access to the top floor lounge which was just great: free refreshments, snacks 24/7 and healthy breakfast in the morning. The staff was extremely friendly. Got free late checkout until 3 pm which was just outstanding and made the stay that much better. This hotel might cost a tad more than others I had seen in Ottawa, but the service really does go above and beyond. Thanks Sheraton Ottawa!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HenryGL
SheratonOttawa, General Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Hello HenryGL,

Thank you for taking the time to post comments regarding your recent experience at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel.

Our associates are focused on providing excellent customer service and embody the core values of warm, comforting and connecting.

I am pleased that you had the opportunity to experience some of our signature brand items such as the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed, our new Club Lounge and new Sheraton Fitness Center.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton on your next trip to Ottawa.

Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

I made a reservation exactly one month in advance. I arrived at the front desk, presented my Starwood Preferred card, and was informed that there were no rooms available - the hotel was oversold. There were 2 people in front of me in the same boat, and within minutes another 6 or so behind me. The hotel advised that they would put me up at a nearby "bed and breakfast." I was not keen on the idea so called a few hotels on my own, with no luck. It was 9pm and raining hard. I was exhausted and out of options. Reluctantly, I agreed to the B&B and hailed a taxi. I don't know if the neighborhood was safe or not, but I can say that it appeared to be abandoned. The street was dark and the only house with lights on was the "B&B" I was being dispatched to. When I arrived, another displaced Sheraton guest was on the phone pacing back and forth in front of the house. He said to me "If you think the outside looks bad, wait until you step inside." I climbed the stairs to the front porch and a man in a filthy T shirt and shorts met me at the door , presumably, the owner. He took me past a room that was filled from floor to ceiling with "stuff" - wood, boxes, garbage, not sure. He showed me to my room and my heart sank. I am not a germ a phobe, nor am I high maintenance - but there was no way that I was going to sleep on this bed, the bedding looked like it hadn't been washed in years. A minute later I realized that the bathroom at the end of the hall was to be shared by everyone in the house. By now it was late. How was I going to coordinate with everyone else in the house so I could get showered and out the door for my 7am meeting? At that moment a man came out of one of the rooms - another displaced Sheraton guest. He said to me "I am so happy to see you, a friendly face." I interpreted his tone and body language as fear. I called the Sheraton back and told them I did not feel safe staying here. They phoned me back 10 min later and advised that they had made a reservation at an alternate hotel. I got a cab and left as quickly as I could. The alternate hotel was dated and run down, but felt like a 5 star in comparison to the first place. By now it was close to midnight. I was starving, but no place to grab a bite and too wired to sleep. I attended my 7am meeting, and grabbed the next flight out of town. The manager of the Sheraton called me to apologize (too little, too late) and said she would credit my Starwood Preferred account with enough miles for a free night. My spouse, who has gold status with Starwood preferred, questions why we would ever book a room at another Sheraton, or any Starwood preferred hotel. The Ottawa Sheraton does not deserve to belong to this family of hotels, and we are not sure that we want to belong any more either. In closing, the Sheraton Ottawa put me through a night of hell. It felt like something out of the movies, and I still have difficulty belieiving that this actually happened. It was inexcusable. My advice - RUN. DON'T DO IT.

Room Tip: Just because you have a confirmation number, doesn't mean you have a room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank debbie o
SheratonOttawa, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Hello Insatiable Nomad,

I apprieciate you taking the time to speak with me on the morning after this incident. Again, I apologize for your experience at Sheraton Hotel as it is not indicative of the level of service we strive to provide for our guests.

I would be more than happy to speak with you again regarding this unfortunate situation, and clear any additional concerns that you have.

Amanda