“Accomodations & Location”

Sheraton Ottawa Hotel
Ranked #24 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is the best hotel we've stayed in considering world travel over 20 years. The staff was very friendly and accomodating, their breakfast's were outstanding, and their rooms very large and comfortable. I would recommend this well located hotel, only few blocks from Parliment, to anyone .

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank DGSymmank
SheratonOttawaHotel, Director of Sales at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2011

What a great review! On behalf of our General Manager and all the associates at the Sheraton Ottawa Hotel we would like to thank you for noticing our efforts and we are looking forward to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Ottawa Hotel

Reviewed October 29, 2011

Upon pulling up to the small (one car at a time) valet station, and waiting for one of only two valet parkers for approximately five minutes, I checked into the Sheraton Ottawa Hotel where I had pre booked one king Club level room for one night.
At time of booking, five days ago over the phone, I upgraded to this level room as I was promised access to the Club lounge (penthouse level) which serves complimentary evening o'rderves and continental breakfast in the morning. At time of check-in, I was informed that the Club Lounge was currently under renovations and that they had moved the afore mentioned services to the restaurant off of the lobby.
I paid more for the upgraded room for the privacy that was supposed to be afforded. Not impressed.
After entering the room, which seems rather small for how it was described and only slightly modernized, my boyfriend and I were greeted with only two bath towels and one bath robe.
Were we supposed to share?
No big deal. Christine, a friendly voice who answered the guest services phone sent up two more towels and one more bath robe. Although that could have been avoided by checking the number of guests arriving before they actually arrived. I'm assuming that that information is only provided to hotels at time of booking so as to up the room rate and not to actually accommodate guest requirements.
We decided to visit The Works restaurant for dinner so I called down for the car. Christine answered the phone again, as valet didn't answer theirs. She assured me that she would pass on the message.
After approximately 10 minutes, (more than enough time to bring a car up) we went down to the lobby to leave for dinner.
Surprise, Surprise. No car. The valet looked at us as though he didn't know why we were standing there. I mentioned that I had called down and the front desk was supposed to pass along the message that we would be needing the car. The valet told me he had not gotten the message and promptly brought the car up from the garage.
I'm hoping my one night stay gets better, although it is almost bed time so there isn't much left of my stay.
Sorry Sheraton: I've had great experiences with your hotels up until now (stayed at the Niagara Falls location, penthouse, two weeks ago), but I may rethink my hotel accommodations next time around.
It would have been nice to have been offered a discount on the room rate for the unexpected change of plans.

Room Tip: Club level room is NOT worth the price no view from 1416 but the office buildings might view you!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank VaNiNa1985
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Located centrally in the heart of Ottawa. A good hotel for the road warrior that needs a room for the night. Great steak restaurant just around the corner - Hy's.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us. Hy's is a great place to eat. I also recommend the Carleton Grill which is accessible from the lobby of the hotel. My favourite dish is the "Sampler Trio". The Catfish is also incredible.

Reviewed October 26, 2011

We ended up at the Sheraton because my other favorite hotels were booked up. The location is not bad. it is close to Bank Street, a couple of blocks from the Parliment. Probably 10-15 minutes walk to the market.

The rooms are spacious, but need some remodeling. When we exited the elevator, the hallway looked depressing. it needs a little sprucing up. the rug was dreadful. The room itself looks cheap because of the fake looking wooden doors and closet. The bed itself was actually quite comfortable.

It's not a bad hotel, but not somewhere I would be looking to come back to.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for the review and we are sorry that your experience was not what you anticipated.

We recently worked on various improvement projects This past summer we refurbished the Health Club in addition to the Club Lounge. We also just completed the installation of a brand new top of the line Wireless Internet network. We are also pleased to offer this to our guests on a complimentary basis for standard bandwidth usage of 1MB.

Our rooms and hallways will be refreshed over the next little while, starting with our Club Level floors and hallways.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed October 11, 2011

Sheraton should update/upgrade or rebrand. Great location and once was a great hotel but is in need of an update. The elvevators and the key locks are from the 70s or 80s the lobby the same. Good beds and flat screen in the rooms.

The front desk staff are less than helpful but the doorman again from around the 80s is excellent.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
SheratonOttawaHotel, Director of Sales at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2011

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to tell you that we just completed renovations to our Heath Club and Club Lounge and there are plans for further renovations within the short term. We would like to hear from you regarding your service experience so that we may address the concerns that might not have been resolved.

Reviewed October 9, 2011

The Sheraton Ottawa has a central location, in the heart of the business district, a 10 minute walk to Byward Market. Rooms are well-decorated, not aged but not overly modern. Try to get upgraded to the Club Levels; the Club Lounge is on the top floor and has a pretty good breakfast (including a souped-up espresso machine that I appreciated greatly). Staff is very friendly and exude hospitality. All in all, a well-executed hospitality operation.

Room Tip: My room (with a number ending in -05, maybe 1605?) seemed to be larger than other rooms on the floor...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank mattypw

Thank you for the comments. With regards to the room size, the Sheraton Ottawa Hotel does have above average room sizes with most guestrooms having a square footage of 375 square feet. We are pleased that you enjoyed your Club Floor experience. We are very happy with how the renovations to the Club Lounge turned out. We keep on hearing the word "stunning" to describe the transformation of this space.

Reviewed October 7, 2011

Great down town location but very quiet on the weekends as the hotel caters to businesses.
Room was high quality but internet connection is extra . It should be included as part of the service considering budget hotels and motels include Wifi at no charge .
Parking is a problem in this area and no mention was made on the web site that there was a valet parking charge of $25.00. per day . We were only there one night and I guess if you are on an expense account it is no big deal. I really think it should be mentioned on their web page that parking is not included in your room rate
All in all it was a great stay and I would recommend it if you want to be in the core if the city.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay and we appreciate your recommendation. As with most, if not all downtown buildings and hotels, complimentary parking is rare. We believe that by offering valet service to our guests we are providing them with both value and convenience. The valet parking charge is listed on our website. Trip Advisor will not allow the posting of website links in client responses. If you would like to contact me, I would be happy to send you the link.

Warm regards