“Elevator Crashed” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Montreal
“Elevator Crashed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2007

I had a room on the 9th floor.

On May 30th, I entered the elevator to go down. A gentleman stepped out and he appeared bewildered, confused and in a daze. Not really knowing why, I entered the elevator. I was alone.

As soon as the door closed, I pressed the button for the lobby.

The elevator jerked and starting crashing down. The emergency brakes kicked in from underneath to stop the fall. I immediately pressed other buttons, hoping that the elevator would stop at another floor. To no avail, buttons no longer worked. The elevator at that point kept droppping a few feet at a time, and every time it rattled when the emergency brakes underneath kicked in to stop the fall.

I picked up the emergency telephone in the elevator and told the operator to do something as I was not only stuck in the elevator, but that it was falling, dropping or crashing. I assume it was the front desk, as the gentleman just told me to remain calm.

Having gone into the elevator on the 9th floor, my mind was gtelling me if the emergency brakes failed, I would end up dead at the bottom of the shaft.

This drop, rattle and the emergency brakes kicking in lasted at least 10-15 minutes.

The elevator finally made it to the lobby, where two gentlemen waited for me. One introduced himself as the manager.

Panicked, bewildered shaken up, I asked him to see the inspection certificate of the elevator.

It was expiring the next day.

I now understand what happened to the other gentleman who got off on the 9th floor when I entered the elevator. He had probably boarded the elevator on a much higher floor and ran out as soon as it stopped on my floor as it also experienced what I had gone through.

I asked the manager to investigate and to inform me of what happened.

To date, neither their head office in Paris nor the manager has responded to my written letters. I also know that the elevator was out of service for the remainder of the week, as the inspection certificate was expired and the elevator needed to be serviced after it dropped or crashed while I was in it.

I suggest you take the stairs or that you insist that they post their elevator inspection certificates, as it is apparent that they do not maintain them.

Other company employees and I have not stayed there since since they failed to respond.

• Liked — na
  • Disliked — na
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank CoreyHart1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2007

I stayed at this hotel between July 23-25, 2007 on business and I must say - I enjoy hte Novotel standard. If you have read my other review about the Novotel Montreal - much of it applies to this Novotel Ottawa. The staff are extremely friendly and courteous and they are a real pleasure to deal with. I had left a package at the front desk in the morning to be picked up from a friend and returned from work that evening they were kind enough to let me know that it had been picked up and provided confirmation. The check in/check out process was as easy as can be and this made my stay very pleasurable.

The rooms are the standard novotel rooms with the flat screen television and washroom with the semi-french doors. All very clean, nicely organized and well kept.

The location was perfect for moi as it is walking distance to the Byward market (5 mins), Parliament building (10 mins) and other tourist attractions in the area.

If you get a good price on the hotel - I would recommend it because the rooms are decent, the staff are wonderful, and the location is in the heart of downtown Ottawa.

Thanks.

• Liked — Staff and Hotel rooms
  • Disliked — The treadmill in the exercise room did not function on the second day of my travel.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank mookiedoobie
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2007

I originally booked at te Westin Ottawa where I've stayed multiple times perviously... but after 3 nights I was unhappy with the condition and service so I went across the street to the Ottawa Novotel.

While the services are basic, no valet or doorman, everything else was great. The room was very comfortable with free Internet access. The bathroom was bright with the usual offerings.

Room service is offered but I did not try it. I went across the street to the Rideau Centre Shopping Mall for fresh baked goods/coffee in the morning and snacks later in the day. Very conveniently located.

The self park is easy and well priced with direct access from parking to the lower level of the hotel. The hotel offers a well priced flat rate day pass with in/out allowances.

I'm really picky about hotels and this Novotel was a nice surprise. I will certainly stay there again on my next Ottawa trip.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank BigTimeTravel
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2007

Stayed in this hotel for a week as part of a business trip. Location, Location, Location-close to downtown, right beside Rideau Centre (shopping mall) Sears and Bay. Comfortable walking distance to Parliament Hill, Byward Market. I was there myself and room size was sufficient for my needs. The room had a safe to lock my laptop and valuables. Had free internet access, a nice HD flat screen TV, and I like the little hookup to the clock radio for my Ipod. Bed was comfortable, room was clean and nice basic decor. Had a small exercise room, pool, hot tub and sauna shared between the hotel and the one beside it.
Would recommend renting a bike while here in Ottawa. The city has lots of gorgeous bike paths and trails.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank Saskatoonmd
Halifax
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2007

This place has a convenient location--adjacent to the Rideau Centre and about two blocks from the Byward Market--and the rooms are quite fashionably decorated for a chain hotel, if a bit on the small side. The beds are comfortable enough, the Internet works fine (I'm using it right now, actually), and the shower is nice and strong. However, I had a series of problems with my first room. The bathtub had a plug that leaked, so that the water kept running out while I tried to take a bath. It also contained a short, wavy hair (yes, *that* kind of hair). The safe didn't work. The closet was so small that it was difficult to fit in a hanger with clothes on it without squishing them against the ironing board. My neighbour never left their room and watched TV day and night. I could hear the bass from said TV constantly (though they very kindly turned the volume down when I yelled "turn down your TV!" at midnight on a Tuesday night). There is also a lot of street noise which the double glazing does little to mask--and I am on the fifth floor. I absolutely detest complaining about service and, even more, I hate changing rooms after I've unpacked everything, but given I'm staying here for five nights, I figured it had to be done. So I asked to get my room changed, a request which was granted, though not in a friendly or apologetic way, by the front desk staff person. Before she told me that changing my room was not a problem, she told me the problem with the safe was that I didn't know how to work it (that wasn't it, dear; the safe in my new room works just fine, thanks), and that if my neighbour's TV was disturbing me, I should call the front desk to complain (yes, I'd love to be doing that for the next five days). In general, I felt she was insinuating that the hotel had no faults; the fault was mine. I agree with another reviewer who said the Westin is a far better hotel if you can afford it. I would have stayed there, but my fellow conference-goers took all the rooms so I thought I'd try the Novotel. I wouldn't do so again. Let's hope there are no other problems with my second room!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service and room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank drpain
Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2007

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at the Novotel in Ottawa and upon entering the room, we were very pleased with the decor. The room had two double beds with very nice duvets, a flat screen tv, a desk with desk chair and the bathroom was really nice as well.
Because I'd received coupons for the restaurant, we decided to eat there twice and the food was very good, although there are not that many items on the menu.

I would have given this hotel 5 stars, if it wasn't for the fact that the pool was closed, due to renovations and the fitness room was quite small . I also wouldn't recommend anyone to take the stairs instead of one of the elevators, because it's quite a shock to see how dirty and old the stairs are! Also, there's no access to the lobby from the stairs.

• Liked — the decor of the room
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank scorpiogirl
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2007

We're on the last night of our two night stay and I'm writing this review with the help of our free high speed internet (ethernet, not wifi). Our Novation King room is quite fashionably designed with whites, creams and faux-birch.

While we would generally recommend the Novotel for it's great central location and lovely room there are a few complaints...

The fitness room is very small and feels like it was crammed into the last little spot they had left. When we went down almost all of them were being used by kids 12 and under with nigh an adult in site... which led to some grumblings.

There are at least 3 youth groups staying here this weekend which may explain the overpopulated pool and the fire alarm being crank-pulled around 9pm. In the future I think I'll be asking hotels what groups they have booked the same weekend we visit.

The parking garage is ridiculously tight and ends in a dead-end that required four cars to back out. Finally found a spot with about one foot on either side between cars.

Room service and the downstairs restaurant are expensive, but that's no shocker. What really irked us though was the mini-fridge full of overpriced items that we couldn't even remove to put our own stuff into - if you move anything inside, infrared sensors charge your room for it.

It sounds like a lot of problems but we're still having such a great time and the stone's throw to Byward Market (and surrounding digs) and Rideau Canal (for skating) balance out the negative.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple