“Poor Check in Service” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Vancouver
“Poor Check in Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2010

This is not my first stay at this hotel
I arrived at the hotel at 22:30 knowing I had asked for a late arrival. I asked if the restaurant was open as my flight time was around 14 hours and I was hungry. I was told it was closed and at the same time my room is not ready due to our computers being down they should be up in 35 or 40 minutes. Tired I said could I leave my bags here and go into the bar for a glass of wine while I wait, she said sure. I go have at $13.00 dollar glass of wine(this is the average glass price??) I return to the desk and asked if my room was ready, I was told "I guess so" and the colleague working with her said try this room it should be clean?
This hotel was a nice boutique hotel but it is becoming less so. The Trio staff are great

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JeffkVancouver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2010

we stayed a couple of nights , the hotel was very clean , staff polite , friendly and really helpful, the location is good , close to just about everything a visitor would want , a nice little touch was the computers ( free ) in the lobby, so if you wanted to find or check something , it took only a couple of minutes, I would have no hesitation to go back to the Novotel

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2010

I have been to the Novotel Ottawa twice so far. The first time I was rather disappointed by it (tiny room, very slow Internet connection, unhelpful staff), but I thought it might have been a fluke. After having just visited it for the second time, I now think that the hotel is simply poor.

Here are some of my criticisms concerning my most recent visit:

1. There was somebody else's half-eaten apple in my room's garbage.
2. The garbage and recycling were never emptied during my stay.
3. When I asked for a plastic spoon during the evening the front desk staff was EXTREMELY unhelpful. No effort made at all. The front desk staff the next morning was more helpful.
4. I found somebody else's eye mask under my bed.
5. The hotel has automated minibars which means that you cannot store anything else in it because the sensors would go crazy. You have to ask for an additional fridge for which they may charge you (unless you have medicines that need to be refrigerated).
6. One of the two chairs in my room was wobbling.
7. The rooms are all incredibly small. Not as bad as in Quebec but much worse than anywhere else in Canada.
8. There was a pile of paper underneath my desk to prevent it from wobbling. Not very pretty.
9. The hotel is more expensive than other comparable hotels.

The only plus of this hotel is its location -- it is very close to the Rideau Centre and to the Byward Market.

But apart from that it is consistently a disappointment -- and I do not at all understand why many government agencies and the University of Ottawa continue to use it as their hotel of choice. Avoid it and you'll be happier!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Davo81
Vaughan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2010

We went to Novotel for a Winter Get Away in Ottawa. The location is amazing, it is literally a 20 second walk to the Rideau Center (Shopping Mall) and 2 mins from the Byward Market. It is within walking distance to all major attractions as well. The hotel itself is quite nice, very modern and fresh. The room we got was very nice. It had a king bed with a little desk area and a pretty nice bathroom. The Hotel staff were very nice and polite. We didn't use room service, so I'm not sure how good that is, but overall I was very satisfied with our stay and when I return to Ottawa I will definitely stay here again.

Ottawa is a beautiful city to see. I stayed or 5 days and still didn't get to see everything. I would definitely recommend everyone to visit this beautiful City.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2010

We just left Ottawa from a 3 night stay at the Novotel. It was a really great stay for us. We were looking for something close to the downtown Byward Market and shopping and this hotel has the most wonderful location. Steps to the mall and right on the edge of the market.

Our room was nice. We upgraded to a Junior Suite for 30 dollars a night. We had purchased a deal allowing us to get 3 nights for the price of 2 which worked out to be a total of 135 each night after discount and including the upgrade. I found that to be a suitable price for the room. The bed was comfortable and sheets were soft. Lots of pillows as well.

There were some signs of wear ans tear in the room. The wall paper was seperating in some areas but overall we enjoyed the room.

We ordered breakfast in our room every morning and it was very good. We also ordered dinner in our room one night and loved that we could order hagan daz ice cream. Such a treat.

The hotel was fairly quiet when we were there which was a nice change from usual weekend traffic. Even though our room (714) was right next to the elevators we rarely heard anything at all.

Service was always prompt and polite and very friendly. We will stay again for sure

• Stayed February 2010
Gainesville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2009

Beware, travelers with disabilities: "accessible" rooms are accessible only because the doors are wide enough and there are grab bars. Space is standard and nearly impossible to use in an average power chair. No space next to toilet, no shower bench, no walk-in shower. The pool is up a flight of stairs, with no access. Breakfast buffet involves a trip through the back kitchen and up a steep ramp if you use a wheelchair. Staff are rude and restaurant service is minimal.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank JessiElanaAaron
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2009

We stayed in a renovated «Novation room» which is nice and european style room. The hotel is well located close to the Rideau shopping center and to the Byward Market(restaurants).

The only problem is the size of the room. It is so small that when you are working at the desk, your partner cannot move from one side to the other side within the room.

Besides that, everything is OK: clean, nice gym, indoor pool.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business