“Pricey for an average compact!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Novotel Ottawa

Ranked #26 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Pricey for an average compact!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

My husband & I stayed here during a last minute visit to see our Son at Carleton University. I didn't make a reservation as we decided while driving to go to Ottawa. Earlier that same day I saw online that Novotel was booking at $97.00 per night with breakfast included. We arrived at the Hotel about 12:10 am (after doing a six hour drive); we were told the rate for the night was $199.00. I asked if I could show the Clerk online what I saw earlier and when I went online to Trivago as it was past midnight I could not access the rate for the 8th and could only see the rate for the 9th (which did show at $199). He was very nice and offered the room for $129.00 but to our surprize the room was a very compact room and worn. The bed was hard and only 1 pillow each. Carpeting in our room was stretched and loose; furniture was damaged and there were holes from old locks on the doors & trim not to mention all the marks & nicks on the walls. We also found out that Breakfast was not included and the amenities were not all available or as nice as what was shown (sauna was inside the change rooms - Ladies wasn't working; hot tub was out of service) . The exterior is nice and the Lobby & restaurant & lounge are nice but it ends there. We were not allowed in & out privileges with our car and the water pressure was very poor. We had a view of a back street that was sketchy and the bathroom looked like I did the installation & caulking myself. We had Breakfast at the Hotel Restaurant and I wasn't impressed by the lack of selection but thought it would be good food; nope I was wrong. The scrambled eggs tasted funky and the eggs benedict was over cooked and dried out. The pastries were the only good thing; I wanted to have fruit but it was dried and started to brown from being left out so I passed, even the coffee was bad (coloured water). I did mention to the Desk Clerk at check out but she did nothing and offered nothing - not good customer relations. The staff in the Hotel were polite and friendly and the Restaurant waitresses were very nice but that's were it ends. I know this is Ottawa but I could have stayed at the Lord Elgin Hotel for the same cost and had an enjoyable night. I thought it would be nice to try this place because it looked good online. NEVER AGAIN!

Room Tip: stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank M B
Danny P, Front Office Manager at Novotel Ottawa, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear M B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Ottawa. Exceptional service is what we strive like to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it helps us to continually improve and provides a memorable experience to our valued guests.

I am sorry that your experience did not fully meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my most sincere apologies.

Our relationship with our guests is of paramount importance. We are hopeful that you will present us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Novotel Ottawa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for one night, central location in this town. Staff very helpful, our king size room was great with no problems.the only comment I would say is that I feel that clients using the hotel accommodation should receive a discount for the car park.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Sue R
Danny P, Front Office Manager at Novotel Ottawa, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Sue R,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments concerning your stay at the Novotel Ottawa. Excellent service is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is exceedingly important as it helps us to continually improve upon our service and provides a memorable experience to our valued guests.

Our relationship with our guests is of paramount importance. We are looking forward to your next stay with us at the Novotel.

vancouver, BC, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

My daughter and I shared a room on a recent trip to Ottawa. The hotel is situated just as you enter the downtown area from Hwy. 417 so is convient to get to. I like that Novotel uses duvets instead of bedspreads because I know the duvet has been freshly laundered. (I shudder at the thought of how infrequently bedspreads are cleaned.) The room was pleasant and the decor modern, but on the small side, which wasn't a problem for us as we were just there to sleep so didn't spend a lot of time in the room. We were on the second floor and were concerned that the traffic noise would carry through the walls, but it didn't. Check-in staff were very friendly, efficient and pleasant to deal with. The hotel also has computers available for use in the lobby which would be helpful for finding your way around the city and getting other information. On the negative side I was surprised that the room didn't have a dresser. However, this wasn't a problem for us since we were only there for one night. As others have mentioned the location is superb for sight-seeing and wandering Byward Market. Overall, I liked staying there and would do so again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Capricorn49,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments concerning your stay at the Novotel Ottawa. We are working very hard to ensure that our guests are completely satisfied. I am delighted that you left our hotel with pleasant memories.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Right near everything - if you are looking for convenience of location, this is the place to stay. Just steps from Byward Market, shopping, etc etc.

The room is normal sized, the bathrooms a bit annoying. The doors are frosted glass and open INTO the room in a french door style. There's not much room to start! And they don't shut tightly, so if you happen to like privacy, you won't be pleased, there is a gap under the doors.

But overall, it's a clean modern hotel room much like a Hampton Inn & Suites, and we were perfectly comfortable with a king bed, a small sofa, table and chair, built in desk, small closet and safe. The staff were pleasant and the new bar in the lobby looks very nice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear sheburns,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments concerning your stay at the Novotel Ottawa. Excellent service is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is exceedingly important. I am delighted that you left our hotel with pleasant memories.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

This is the 2nd time I've stayed at the Novotel Hotel. The 1st time I stayed at a Novotel hotel was in London, England, the Novotel London Tower Bridge. I had an agent do the booking for me so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was only to spend one night in London so I wasn't too fusy about the accommodation. It was just for the one night but boy did I wish I could've stayed longer. When I reserved my room at the Novotel Ottawa I knew exactly what to expect, I didn't even bother checking the reviews on trip advisor, their standards are impeccable. The hotel has a well lit contemporary design lobby (as a matter of fact all of the Novotel hotels are).The rooms are set up just as well. The staff was very friendly to us. Which is quite essential on a vacation. We will be staying here again! Oh and did I mention I was chauffeured to the airport and around London the next morning in a Mercedes S500 at no cost after I told the staff how bummed out I was about not having time to check out the city ;-)

• Stayed August 2013