“Convenient and great, great staff!”
Review of Novotel Ottawa

Ranked #27 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I recently stayed there from November 19th til 22nd. It's the staff that make this a great place to stay. There is no one that is not too busy to help with any concern whether it's big or small. It's located mere steps from the fantastic Rideau Mall but more importantly it's a 2 minute walk to Byward Market and 10-15 minutes from the Parliament buildings. The first night I did not sleep because my room was too near the air conditioning vents outside of room. I kindly asked to be moved and within 5 minutes I was in a new room on other side of the building. This is a great place to stay. The rooms were clean. The bed was very comfy. My only complaint and it's a small one is that there was no tub and only a shower. It was a beautiful shower however I enjoy a nice long soak after a long day. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Danny P, Front Office Manager at Novotel Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear Capette123,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Ottawa. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

dannyponte@novotelottawa.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,506)

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Good hotel in an excellent location in downtown Ottawa close to the Byward market, Parliament buildings, Rideau Canal etc.very quiet building. A comfortable clean room and good beds. Room was a little smaller than normal but overall I was pleased and would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Danny P, Front Office Manager at Novotel Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Dear Retired424,

Reviewed November 21, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 20, 2012

My family and I stayed here on November 9th 2012. We arrived early and when I went to see if I could park the car in the garage they saw I was with my infant son and told me to make things easier for my family they would check us in early. We recieved a bigger room to fit the crib. The hotel is very modern and offers free wifi. It is extremely close to the market and Rideau Centre. I would highly recommend this place and definately would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Danny P, Front Office Manager at Novotel Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear Brodzki,

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We've stayed at this Novotel several times before and it's pretty standard. Locatiion is great, close to everything in the downtown. Rooms are quite small -- ask for a corner room (these are larger and you don't feel as cramped). Also ask for a higher floor as the street noise can be noticeable. Front desk staff are GREAT. The first night, we had a bad problem with noise from guests in the next room. It was past midnight but they were having loud conversations (seemed like more than two people) and then started playing loud music! This had never happened before in previous stays at this hotel as most guests are in Ottawa for business and don't party. We called the front desk, and someone came up within 10 minutes to check. The music stopped but talking continued. We requested a room change the next morning and the front desk was very accomodating. On our return after meetings, we moved to another room and had a quiet comfortable rest of our stay. The mini-bar set-up is a landmine -- don't touch or pick up any item unless you want it or you'll be billed for it! My husband picked up one of the bottles of water but put it back -- we didn't want it and never drank it, but guess what -- they're on sensor pads and as soon as you pick something up (even if you replace it), you'll be charged. We didn't realize this until we were at the airport (we had a 6 a.m. flight and weren't looking at the bill too closely when we left). A minor thing but annoying. I don't think we're the only ones who've noted this issue.

Room Tip: Higher floor, corner room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear JJ503,

I would be glad to remove any item form the minibar that was charged to you that you didn't consume. Our minibar attendants verify all sales from the minibars on a daily basis, and give us a list of all items that were vended but replaced.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

The hotel is comfortable, but nothing espectacular. I enjoyed the location, near Byward Market and a shopping mall. I didnt need to use public transportation while I was there, because everything is near. Breakfast is good, bot not cheap. The hotel offers good free internet and also some computers at the lobby. The use of the minibar is extremelly unfriendly and unpleasant. They have a control that simply locks the door of the minibar from time to time, and then you have to ask at the reception to unlock it. Moreover, if you simply move the itens they detect and the expense is included in your bill. They also say that you can't use it with your personal items and that if you do they will take your items out of the minibar. I've already been at Accor hotels around the world (France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Brazil, ...) and i've never seen anything like that. Extremelly unnecessary and annoying. I also had problems to park my car, since i temporarily lost the access card and they wanted to charge me another day just to let me leave with the car without the card (the 1st parking day was not over, but i would have to pay another day just to be able to leave with the car cause i had to return it to the rental agency)...another problem when i was leaving...i used a voucher from aclub and they didnt consider it on the bill...i had to return to the hotel to ask them to correct it...the money was refunded to my card in about 3 days....So, i cant say its a bad hotel and maybe I was not lucky, but i would probably try other nearby options in future visits to Ottawa. I've already have better experiences in other accor hotels.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear asbarreto,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Ottawa. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed here for a conference and it was everything I needed. Centrally located, immaculate with all the necessary comforts to feel at home. The fitness centre was small but serviceable and the front desk staff was helpful when needed. My only issue was with the card access elevators that worked sporadically at best. They were the only headache that I remember. And having stayed at even other hotels close by I know the parking rate was good in comparison. I would definitely stay here again without hesitation.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business