“Not a good Value”

Ranked #21 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
North Bay, Canada
“Not a good Value”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I got a reasonable deal through Priceline but, as is often the case with 4 star hotels, then comes the add-ons. Almost $30 for parking (with taxes) and another $20 for two doubles instead of a Queen. You pay for internet and the list goes on. I had an issue with the internet and I was directed to a tech help desk that was closed at 5:00 pm. Huh? The room was fine but you just felt that you were being nickeled and dimed at every turn. One other thing is, I thought that the front desk/lobby was the concierge's desk as it was so small. I would never pay full price for this place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ArcGM, General Manager at ARC The Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at ARC The.Hotel. Our goal is to exceed the expectations of our valuable guests and it is evident through your comments that we did not meet them.please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced during your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We have stayed here before without encountering these problems but this time was not their best hour.

Too few staff, no meals or room service over Christmas in a hotel!!! One valet/porter/snow shoveler. Howard the desk attendant was snarky.

Bathroom mats disappeared, bath salts were not replenished, the room was very dark. The bed was like sleeping on lumpy marshmallows and the pillows should all be thrown out and replaced. At least the towels and robes were ok.

Most of the staff were helpful but there were too few of them. The hotel was nowhere near full but I understand why and we certainly would never stay there again. There are many nice hotels in the downtown area that are better.

Wine at the front desk was a nice touch but there was no follow-through on any other special boutique-hotel touches..

Room Tip: Get the unit with the larger bathroom if there is more than one person
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Veganguy
The management of ARC The.Hotel would like to offer our sincere apologies that your stay was not to your satisfaction. We pride ourselves on meeting the needs of our guests and can assure you that we are examining the situation very closely to determine what may have occurred and how to avoid this happening in the future. We do hope that you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves by staying with us on your next trip to Ottawa.
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Generally, speaking this hotel is an excellent value for your dollar. The room was large enough for us. The place was clean, and also the front desk staff was extremely helpful. One of the minute details that was an irritant was the housekeeping staff overlooking the fact that there were no coffee cups in the room. When we arrived there was only one cup in the room for the coffee maker. After using it, the next day, they were not replaced for our next day. When I mentioned it to the front desk, the response was, I could have telephoned down for the cups.
All in all, I would definitely stay here again. There is free coffee in the lobby as well as free wi-fi.
The location is a plus, for one who wishes to explore the city of Ottawa.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Although we never enjoy hearing that one of our guests had a less than perfect stay, we feel the comments such as yours allow us to assess where we have opportunities to make improvements. Thank you for your business and we hope to be of service to you again in the near future.
Syracuse
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is a generally pleasant hotel and the staff are friendly, efficient and responsive.

So it is unfortunate to have to give a rating of "Poor", but the noise level is impossible. The quilted window shades were probably an attempt to cut down on the street noise, but didn't do the job. The walls between rooms are also like tissue paper.

The hotel is attractive, clean, well-maintained, but housekeeping was somewhat unreliable. Generally you expect a bar of soap for the sink and another for the bath, but this wasn't the case, and the second day required a call to the front desk to get a new bar of soap. There is a Keurig coffee machine, but the coffee and cream were not replaced the next day.

These are minor grips, but the main issue, the noise, is a deal-breaker and we will not stay there again.

Room Tip: Here's a tip for a good room: go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank UpstateLoyalist
Thank you for your candid review of ARC The.Hotel. It is always a great disappointment to hear of a guest that was not satisfied with their stay. Unfortunately, New Years Eve is one occaision where people are not considerate of others with the noise that they make.
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My husband & I spent 2 nights here, the first week of December, and we were very happy with the room/ hotel service. It's all we needed, a bed and bathroom. We were greeted with the concierge and check in was a breeze and the sparkling Champagne was a nice treat! Rooms are small but who cares when there is so much to do, you don't want to spend it in your room. The room was clean, and nicely decorated/ furnished. There is a mini fridge as well which was handy. Bed was super comfy!!! The valet was quick and we had no issues, can't complain about the parking fee of $25/ day as there is no where to park anyway since this is the business district and all around are tall buildings, just like Toronto. So this was convenient, as we did not use our vehicle all weekend. Everything is in walking distance which was great. Loved the turndown service and the chocolate treat, apples and water. We'll be back for sure and I would highly recommend Arc the Hotel if you plan on visiting Ottawa.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ARC The.Hotel is thrilled that we were able to exceed your expectations. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a recommendation of our property and we do hope that you will return on your next trip to Ottawa.
Reviewed December 25, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at arc for 6 consecutive days in december and was blown away by everythimg the hotel has to offer.

The rooms are always clean, comfortable and cozy. A great touch every night is the turndown service with chocolates and water delivered to the room.

Dinner from both room service and the lounge was spectaucular and filling.

The arc has a great gym facility!!! It has all the free weights you could want along with treadmills and elipticals and fresh towels to boot!

The amenities are fantastic but the service sets this property apart from the rest. When living out of a suitcase its always great to feel comfortable and taken care of and that is exactly how my stay at the arc made me feel.

I will definitely return on my next trip to Ottawa!!

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thorough and complimentary review of ARC The.Hotel. We are thrilled that our associates and facility were able to exceed your expectations. We are proud to be your hotel of choice in Ottawa and look forward to welcoming you back
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I've been travelling extensively on business lately and have made it a point to stay at boutique hotels given the usually exceptional level of service.

At Arc, they make a point of the luxury finishes and appointments that adorn their suites. To their credit, the room I stayed in was very nicely appointed, however the devil is in the details and that's where they fell short.

Firstly, upon checking in, I noticed a particularly horrific scuff mark on the back of the door to my room. These things happen of course but I'd expect staff to address it as soon as possible.

Secondly, there appeared to be a stain on the carpet near the closet.

On the subject of service, they were attentive and helpful in providing me with a phone charger after realizing I had left mine at the office, however I found housekeeping to be somewhat lazy.

Specifically, I had pulled out the ironing table and iron before my morning's appointments and upon my return I was surprised to find the iron on the desk and the ironing table leaning against the wall in the room.

Additionally, the (very nice) bathrobe I had been using was hung over the back of a chair instead of a hanger.

Hardly deal breakers, nor would I complain about these things to hotel management but the next time I'm in Ottawa I'll likely stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Keep your expectations low.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ah416
The management of ARC The.Hotel was distressed to read your review and would like to thank you for taking the time to leave such candid feedback. By reading each of these reviews we are able to recognize areas in need of improvement and take the appropriate actions to correct them. We do hope that you would reconsider and stay with us again in the future