“Excellent location - great accomodation!”

Courtyard Ottawa Downtown
Ranked #21 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent location - great accomodation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I went with some friends for the weekend to Ottawa (combo Xmas shopping and weekend away) and this hotel was just perfect for our needs. We were centrally located to shops & restaurants (right in the Byward market area). The pool, spa, and work out room were great - perfect for unwinding after a really tough week! We were lucky enough to get a deal with the buffet breakfast included and it was just scrumptious! Eggs, bacon, fresh fruit : it was a great way to start the day off. Also available was underground (and indoor!) parking. The hotel is so central to everything we wanted to do that we just walked everywhere - it was splendid. All the staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. The price was quite reasonable for the location and quality of accommodation. I will certainly be back in Ottawa and I will most certainly be back to this hotel!! Thanks, Marriott! :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank karenb52
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
We’re so glad you had such a nice getaway in Ottawa! Our location is perfect for shopping, eating out and seeing local attractions. And our pool area is a great place to relax after spending the day wandering the city. In spirit of the holiday season, for the month of December all of our guests are being given the gift of a complimentary hot buffet breakfast! We’re so happy that our staff also helped make sure you had a good stay. They’re always ready to help with recommendations, directions or anything else you need!

We want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and we look forward to hosting your next getaway! Happy Holidays!

-Michelle Wilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
PEI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel every time I've been to Ottawa since I discovered it several years ago. It's located in the Byward Market, so many, many options for food and drinks as well as local shopping. It's a 5 minute walk to the Rideau Centre and Parliament Hill. So really not much need for renting a vehicle. Their front desk staff are very pleasant and accomodating. Each time you walk in the door, they greet you with a comment or a smile. My father particularly enjoyed one young gentleman commenting on his "New England Pat's" hat each time we came through. The rooms are a good size and are clean and comfortable, although the pillows aren't the best. The bathrooms are small, but clean. I always ask for a room facing the courtyard due to the proximity of the bars and restaurants. Appreciated the "noise policy" very much. We were there for 4 nights and never heard a sound the entire time we were there after 10:00 pm. As always, I would definitely recommend this hotel and will continue to return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bahamamamaPei
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for your continued loyalty.

We are happy to know that you enjoy our location. We trust that you were able to take advantage of the restaurants within walking distance. Many guests when coming to our hotel park their vehicles for their entire stay, since, as you mentioned we are within walking distance to many things.

Our employees take customer service to heart which is why we want our guests to feel welcome. We are glad that you found our staff to be friendly.

The hotel policies are implemented on weekends. This policy is in place to help preserve a quiet atmosphere at night when many of our guests are trying to sleep. We are happy to know that your stay was pleasant.

Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

I have stayed at many Marriotts but this particular one was filled with caring employees.....room was comfortable, front desk staff knowledgable about restaurants, money exchange and shopping...restaurant staff very accommodating for dietary restrictions and tailored my meals according to my liking...very happy staff who obviously enjoyed working at this hotel...

1 Thank Vagurl52
Thank you kindly for the positive review.

We are so happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. Providing kind, friendly and helpful service is important to us. Our location is surrounded by many great restaurants and businesses. The staff does their best to provide each guest with great restaurant recommendations. We are glad that you found the staff accommodating and helpful.

We hope that we can host you again in the future and thank you again for your review.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

First visit to this hotel and for the most part it was good.I had a problem at check in but the staff handled it ptofessionally. My room was nice but it was facing the main street. We had a snow storm that night so the snow plow was very noisy and very frequent. The hotel does offer underground parking so that was good in that weather.There is a cost for it but by comparison it is reasonable. The bed was comfortable but the bathroom was not great. I had to use the stool to hold my cosmetic bag because the sink area was small and no counter space. The shower head could use upgrading.
The breakfast was ok and they do serve Starbucks coffee.
Location is great for shopping and sight seeing. you can't beat it.The bars and restaurants in the area are plentiful nad diversified for all tastes.
The famous Dunn's smoked meat deli is across the street and is open 24hrs a day. Good thing since the hotel does not offer room service.
The staff was very nice. When I complained of the noise they paid for my breakfast. I would go back but I would request the courtyard room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard and not the street.
1 Thank Helenecarmelle
We appreciate your review! Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor.

Customer service is an important factor to a guest’s stay and we are happy to hear that the staff was able to correct the situation. Unfortunately, during the winter the snow plows do frequently plow throughout the day. We hope that this did not disrupt your stay.

Parking is available at a cost of $20 and there is the option of underground parking. The parking at the hotel provides the guests with in and out privileges.

Our location is fantastic and allows guests to be within walking distance to over 130 restaurants. Our central location also means that we are close to various attractions and the shopping mall. We hope you were able to take advantage of this during your stay.
PICKERING
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

I found the hotel staff friendly. My room was great. I was impressed with the fact that they had a "Quiet Time" and was told that if I found it loud in the halls that I was to call down and it would be taken care off. It was all quiet so I didn't worry, this may be more common in the busier season i.e. summer. I really liked the fact that I was greeted as I entered or exited the hotel, even if it was a wave or a smile. For someone who travels alone, it was comforting to be acknowledged. Also when I checked in I was told that because I was staying for 5+ nights, they gave me a inside room, so I was not facing the main roads.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Thank you for giving us such a great review on TripAdvisor!

We’re always happy to hear such positive feedback. We always try to provide a personal touch to our service so we’re glad that you found our staff to be friendly and appreciated our efforts! Especially for those travelling alone, it can be nice to have a “friend” in the hotel. We understand the importance of a good night sleep which is why we have our quiet hour policy and will try to accommodate all requests for courtyard facing rooms.

Again, we’d like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others and we hope to see you again soon in Ottawa!

Niagara Falls, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

We were actually booked at another Hotel and were bumped so we ended up staying here for one night. I was worried because I read 'not favourable' reviews on Trip Advisor but it was actually a nice place. It was clean and nice but there were 2 things - first there's a couple of stairs to go up and with a luggage trolley that's impossible; secondly, they put us on the first floor and when I opened the drapes I was looking at a person staring back at me on the street outside (the sidewalk is directly beside the windows). That was creepy & a bit disturbing. It is located in the Byward Market so the location was good. I wouldn't avoid this place but I would insist on an upper floor. The parking was odd in that I wanted to bring my car to the door to load the luggage but you cant do that without leaving the secured parking lot. The room itself was nicely decorated but the beds and pillows are horrible. I expected better from a Marriott Hotel but its a decent place to stay.

Room Tip: do not stay on the first floor!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback for your experience at our hotel.

We were happy that we could improve your impression of the hotel in a positive way. The first floor rooms are along the streets of the downtown area. We understand that not all guests enjoy main floor rooms so we do our best to accommodate guest’s requests. However, there are certain factors that can affect this, such as occupancy.

We are sorry to hear that you had a difficult time with the luggage cart. Typically, we try to have a bellman or front desk agent available to assist with such matters. Also, we are currently verifying all rooms to ensure that the beds and pillows meet Marriott standards.

We hope the next time you visit Ottawa that you will choose our hotel!
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I was in Ottawa for a business trip and extended my stay to take in some of the sights. I decided to go to a Senators game and the front desk staff were extremely helpful with ticket and transportation information about the game. The hotel was very clean, with modern décor, and was very quiet. I am a very light sleeper and never heard a door close during my entire stay. Would absolutely stay there again and recommend to anyone who is looking for good value in downtown Ottawa!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
We’re so happy to hear that you were having such a good stay with us you decided stay with us a little longer and take in some of what Ottawa has to offer! We hope you enjoyed your Sens game and are glad that our staff took the time to get you the information you needed. We understand the importance of customer service and clean rooms so we’re glad we meet your expectations! We are in a busy location, so light sleepers can request rooms away from elevators or which face our inner courtyard and we will be happy to accommodate to the best of our abilities.

We’d like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us and we hope to host your next visit to Ottawa!