“Not too shabby!”

Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown
Ranked #19 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a weekend getaway in Ottawa. Ottawa is beautiful city and is often underrated or overlooked due to the proximity of Montreal and Toronto. I chose this hotel due to its downtown location and previous Marriott courtyard experiences. This hotel did not disappoint. Location is perfect! Room was clean and up to Marriot standards. Appreciated the refrigerator in the room as well as the internet service provided. As many other reviewers have stated, it is close to Byward market and Parliament Hill. The area surrounding Parliament is beautiful and includes parks, walking trails, and scenic river/lake. It reminded me of being in Tower of London area in London, England. Since this hotel is in the downtown area it is also within walking distance to some great bars, restaurants, and shopping. We also enjoyed visiting the Rideau Canal...a very cool piece of engineering. Pesonnel at check-in were very nice. Room cleaning service was also great! Underground parking is offered and provides better security for your car, which I appreciated, as well as from the weather, if you happen to be visiting in the winter. Overall, I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thank you so much for giving us such a great review on TripAdvisor!

We’re glad to hear that you really enjoyed your stay and that our staff met your expectations! We found that fridges in the rooms and complimentary wi-fi internet access in the rooms helps guests make the best of their time here. And as you said, we are located in the Byward Market which is a great area that offers guests a lot to see and do all within a short walk. Our parking is very convenient as it offers in/out access and you offer a great tip to those staying during bad weather: our underground parking area means you don’t have to clean snow off your car in the morning or unload your luggage in the rain.

Again, we’d like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others and we hope to have the opportunity to host your next trip to Ottawa!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I always stay at this Courtyard when visiting Ottawa on business. They provide great Marriott service to which loyal Marriott customer are accustomed while in a great location with many restaurants and night life within walking distance.

Rooms are nice & clean and this property has the Courtyard Bistro for breakfast.

There are many great places for some excellent beer within two blocks of this hotel. I'll be back in January of 2013.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to write us a review. Thank you for the comments you have left!

We do take our customer service to heart and always try to make everyone’s stay enjoyable.

Our rooms were recently renovated along with some of the main areas including the pool, Bistro and lobby. We are currently upgrading the hallways to have them match the new Courtyard design.

Our greatest asset is our location. There are over 130 restaurants and bars in the area. Giving guests the chance to experience various types of foods and for those that enjoy beer there are pubs/bars with various brews to try.

We look forward to seeing you again this month! Thank you again for the review.

-Monica Schoeni

Reviewed December 22, 2012

This hotel is in a great location near the ByWard Market in downtown Ottawa. The front desk staff were very polite during check-in. The room was clean and came with a fridge. The maid service was great. I had a minor issue with my room and it was resolved quickly. The wireless internet was free and in working order. The pool was good, and towels were provided poolside. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the inner courtyard (not facing the street) so it will be quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor and taking the time to do so is most appreciated.

We are happy that you enjoyed your time at the hotel. We always want to uphold great customer service and we’re pleased that you found the staff at out hotel polite and helpful. We’re sorry to hear that there was a minor problem but we are very glad that the staff took the initiative that we expect them to, to resolve it.

The wireless internet has been recently upgraded to a Fiber Optic connection and is complimentary with the room. Also, all our rooms do come equipped with fridges within the credenzas for guests to use. The pool was recently renovated and is great for guests looking to enjoy themselves and relax.

Thank you again for the feedback. We hope to see you at the hotel in the near future!

-Monica Schoeni

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I haven't been to this hotel since I was 9 or 10 years old I am 21 now but I still remember my vacation there. Even way back then the hotel was beautiful, sucked that the pool wasn't able to be used during my stay there but I still loved my time there. I have yet to see it to this day aside from the pictures posted but if any rooms are available I hope to stay there come the new year!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Firstly, thank you for your kind words.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us as a child. A lot has changed since then and the hotel has undergone many renovations. Including but not limited to: new guest rooms, pool update, lobby remodeling and Bistro redecorating.

We sincerely hope to see you in the New Year! Thank you once again.

- Monica Schoeni

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I go to Ottawa for business and always try to reserve it and lately it was always sold out, this time I was lucky.

The Check in is quick, and friendly. Recognize as elite and you get a welcome food/snack bonus and a room upgrade. The king superior room is big, clean and a good corner for work.

Free and fast internet, good workout facility, pool and jacuzzi.

The location is fantastic as you are right in the byward market!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent stay at the Courtyard Marriott Ottawa!

We’d like to thank you for your loyalty! We understand that travelers have many options so we like to show our appreciation every chance we get, from little gifts to complimentary upgrades. And to receive such positive feedback from a seasoned traveler such as yourself really lets us know that we’re on the right path. Our rooms were renovated about a year so we’re glad you find the space comfortable and practical. We also work hard to make sure that our rooms are nice and clean for every guest checking in. We recently upgraded our internet so we’re glad you had a chance to try it. We certainly agree that our location is fantastic! Guests have access to over 100 restaurants, along with boutique shops, a farmer’s market and more!

Again, we want to thank you for giving other travelers such great information about your stay and we look forward to hosting your next trip to the Nation’s Capital!

Reviewed December 13, 2012

This hotel was chosen as it was central and close to my daughter's residence. I travelled on the first of December to celebrate her birthday. I was impressed by the lobby. Small, but extremely functional. The staff was very friendly and efficient. I was given the impression that they really cared about my well being and the quality of my stay. The single room was ample. I was surprised by its great size, the cleanliness and quality of the linens. The flat screen tv was tech trendy. Despite being known for the surrounding night life, I found the hotel to be very quiet and enjoyed my sleep. I had a look at the rec facilities and was very pleased. Breakfast was buffet style and very healthy with the price being right. I plan to regularly visit Ottawa in the future and will always seek out this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such positive feedback about your stay!

We’re glad you liked our renovated lobby and rooms. We aimed to make the space practical and comfortable at the same time. I look forward to passing on your kind words about our staff. Knowing we have helped make a guest feel welcomed is one of the best aspects of working in the hospitality industry. Our location is one of the best in Ottawa as we’re located in the Byward Market. While this does offer a lot of activities for our guests outside the hotel, we make sure that inside the hotel remains a peaceful environment so guests can rest and relax.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with other travelers! We certainly look forward to seeing you again in Ottawa!

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stay at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown once a year for business because of its convenient location. It's right smack in Byward Market where there are several shops and restaurants to cater to different tastes. A few meters is Rideau Centre while onwards is a Chapters bookstore. You're 1 to 2 minutes away (walking) to popular Dunn's deli/diner and the famous beaver tails shop.

5 minutes walk would bring you to Cora's for a wonderful breakfast and head on another 3 to 5 minutes and you'll get to Loblaws supermarket. The hotel is also a 10-minute walk from Parliament Hill.

The rooms have been renovated since 2010 I think so the design is modern and functional, far from its old, tired image when I first stayed there in 2008.

There's a small swimming pool but they removed equipment already in the fitness room. There's a coin-operated washer and dryer that are really helpful for those traveling to several cities.

Would recommend this hotel to those who would want to get the most of their time in Canada's beautiful capital.

Room Tip: Do not choose those rooms fronting the street.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

We thank you very much for the review you have posted on TripAdvisor for fellow travelers to read.

We agree 100% that the hotel’s location is fantastic. Like you said, we are close to many attractions, stores and restaurants. Our staff is always happy to provide suggestions of where to eat since there is over 130 different options!

The hotel did recently get renovated in the guest rooms and lobby/Bistro area, and we are currently working on the second phase which will focus on the hallways. We are equipped with a pool, hot tub and fitness area with ellipticals, a treadmill and a weight section.

Thank you again for the review! Your loyalty is appreciated and we look forward to hosting you again!

- Monica Schoeni