“Great location and a good hotel.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Ottawa Downtown

Courtyard Ottawa Downtown
Ranked #22 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Orillia, Canada
“Great location and a good hotel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've stayed at this property more times and for more years than I can remember - likely 20 years. This isn't an overly fancy hotel however it has a great central location and the rooms have been updated with modern appointments. Staff were friendly and I only have positive comments regarding the experience.

It's a very good hotel with the added benefit of offering, location, location, location. The Byward Market, Rideau Canal and Parliament Hill are all within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: The Byward market has very busy night life especially on weekends and more so during the warmer even...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
We greatly appreciate getting such wonderful feedback on TripAdvisor!

We’re so glad to hear that not only do you enjoy our staff and location, you have more many years! Your loyalty is more than appreciated. We did renovate a large portion of the hotel about a year ago so it’s wonderful that you like the changes. And you’re certainly right, one of the hotels biggest assets in the location! There is so much going on in the Byward Market from shopping, restaurants and tourist attractions that guests will always be able to find something to do.

Again, we’d like to thank you for sharing your experience with others and we look forward to your next stay with us in Ottawa!

-Michelle Wilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel a couple of weeks ago. The overall appearance of the hotel was tired and old. Our room was a reasonable size but the furnishings and carpet were worn and shabby. The bathroom needed updating. I could have just about tolerated all this, but what ruined our stay was how noisy this place was. Other guests would come in late at night, laugh and yell out in the corridor at all hours. Our door had a big crack down the side of it, so was ineffective at blocking out the noise. We stuffed towels into the crack and this helped a little. The heater/air conditioner also emitted a foul, garlic smell when switched on. The windows were sealed so we couldn't open them for some fresh air. Seriously, DO NOT stay at this hotel!! There have to be others in the area that are more updated, cleaner and QUIETER!!

Room Tip: If you MUST stay in this dump, try and get a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Julie U
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
We are disappointed to hear that you had an unpleasant experience at our hotel. Thank you for providing your feedback to TripAdvisor.

Our rooms and common areas have recently been renovated to the new Courtyard by Marriott standard and we are waiting to begin the second phase of renovations for the hallways. If guests have issues with something throughout their stay we always encourage them to let the front desk know so that we can do our best to remedy it. Also, our housekeepers as a part of their responsibilities report to management daily if anything needs replacing/ repairing.

Noise is sometimes hard to control mostly when guests are not being respectful to the others in the hotel, but we do have security in the evenings to do rounds on the floor. Also our hotel has a strict no noise policy so if a noise complaint is reported our security agent is sent to the floor immediately.

We would like to take the time to address your comments regarding the windows that do not open, as well. Many hotels do not have rooms with windows that open and the hotels opt for the individual heating/cooling units. This is done for guest safety reasons. At the Courtyard Marriott Ottawa our HVAC system does also have a ventilation setting that allows fresh outside air to circulate within the room.

I invite to contact us so we can further discuss your stay and so that we can verify the room occupied and the issues listed. By e-mail: info@courtyardmarriottottawa.ca or via phone 613 241 1000.

-Monica Schoeni
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Overall I like this hotel, because its right down town on the byword market. For great restaurants and an interesting place to visit, you can't beat it. Overall the rooms are very nice and well appointed, staff is very courteous and friendly. In general if you want this location book well in advance, its often sold out.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
We appreciate you review of the hotel. Thank you for taking the time to write it!

Ottawa’s Byward Market is a great place with over 130 restaurants. The hotel is right in the heart of the market so guest can walk to their attractions and restaurants.

We did recently renovate the guest rooms and common areas. We’re pleased you enjoy the rooms.

Thank you again for the review. We hope to host you again in the coming months.
-Monica Schoeni
Kingston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

I spent 3 nights here for a conference and while there is nothing wrong with this hotel, I also didn't experience anything that distinguished it, and I'm not inclined to return, as it felt quite impersonal - this wasn't such an issue for the one night when I didn't have to pay premium rates, but the high rates just didn't feel justified.

Pros:
Very clean
Room was fine - not big, but not tiny (except the bathtub); King sized bed; sink separate from the rest of the bathtub.
Wireless internet is included in the room - this was appreciated.
Location was convenient to the Convention Centre, Rideau Centre, Parliament Hill, etc., and to lost of restaurants
Fridge in the room.

Cons:
No room service - which would be fine except for the price I had to pay, and, had I been with my family, would have been a bigger deal.
Very small bathtub, even for a hotel.
Location at night might be concerning for some if they are going out - I wasn't out much after my conference, so I wasn't too worried.
I can't really describe it - but the service was very impersonal - nothing to complain about, but it was just rather flat.

Other:
I didn't get to the pool, so I can't comment.
If you are staying over the weekend, you have to sign a form about what you can/can't do on Friday or Saturday night. I know this is to protect the guests, and that was appreciated, but it is a bit off-putting, and didn't inspire me to bring my family back next time.

Overall, if I have no other choice, I would go to the Marriott, but I wouldn't chose it first in the future.

Room Tip: 318 was quiet if that's what you're looking for.
1 Thank MCGKingston
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
We’d like to thank you for providing us your feedback on TripAdvisor!

We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed our great location! Since we are located in the Byward Market, you have access to plenty of restaurants, as well as tourist and business attractions such as the Parliament Buildings and Convention Centre. It’s nice to know that you found our rooms to be very clean and enjoyed some of our amenities, such as complimentary WiFi and a fridge in your room.

Unfortunately, as we are not a full service hotel, we do not have room service available however we do have a Bistro To Go service where guests can call ahead to our restaurant and make an order “to go”. We then call the guest when it is ready for pickup. We apologize if you found our hotel policy sheet to be off-putting as that is not its intention. We have found that when we empower guests by letting them know things such as our “quiet hours”, they are more likely to let us know if ever other guests are creating excessive noise. It is also designed to be preventative, as it lets our guests know that we are a 100% smoke free hotel, therefor deterring guests from smoking in our rooms and leaving an unpleasant odour behind for the next guest. We strongly believe in offering our guests the quality sleep and clean rooms they expect and this helps us to do so.

We do hope to have the chance to host you again so you can see what the Courtyard Marriott Ottawa truly has to offer!

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

This isn't a fancy hotel but you have everything you need and nothing to complain about. Honestly, that's all I ask. I made food use of the pool (no bathrobes, btw) and forgot my key in the pool area (not sure how I did that!). I was thus locked out of both the pool area and my room. I called and they were up right away, even though there were 50 people in the lobby waiting to check in. The lady was charming and said kind words to the effect that I wasn't the first or the last to do that. On a side note, there is a taxi stand right outside the lobby.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
We enjoyed reading your view and thank you for it. We appreciate all guest’s feedback and comments.

We are pleased to see that you enjoyed the pool thoroughly. It’s great for guests because it allows them to relax during their stay here. We take our customer service seriously and try to respond to guest request in a timely matter. Often people do lose, misplace or forget keys so making new ones is not an issue once we verify that we are giving guests thekeys to the proper room.

There is a 24 hour taxi stand outside the hotel on Dalhousie St. It’s a great added convenience for any guests requiring taxi service.

Once again thank you for your feedback!

- Monica Schoeni
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

We were there the week following the labor day weekend. I worked all days and wife enjoyed the stay when I was at work. Very close to Byward Market and Ottawa City Center, ideal for tourists. She was able to walk to many landmark places, all situated around the area. Nights can get bit rough if you walk alone but I joined my wife and we had a great time.

Hotel was nice but they charged extra for breakfast for my wife. We also had to pay for parking, I guess their central location makes them getaway too. We thought both these were very unfair.

The restaurant had little to choose from. We found many great eateries nearby.

The hotel is a bit expensive. My empoloyer paid the bill. I would not pay on my Dollar.

Room Tip: Ask the girl the direction to your room before you leave the chek in desk. Or else you may walk all...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with others on TripAdvisor!

We’re glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Our location does allow for both business and tourist guests to make the best of their time in Ottawa. Whether you are touring the city or are looking for a great place to eat after work; you will find it all within walking distance of the hotel! The Byward Market is a busy area due to all the restaurants, shops, pubs and bars, but still remains safe due to the volume of people around and the Ottawa Police who make sure to keep a presence in the area.

Marriott has several brands which each have a different set of standards and offerings. Unfortunately, breakfast is not included at Courtyard brand hotels; however we do have a Bistro which offers quick and easy, but tasty, meals on-site. There are also many other great restaurants in the area, so feel free to ask us for a recommendation! Our parking is $19/night tax included and is equal or less expensive to other hotels in the area. We also offer unlimited in/out privileges which is something that is not offered by some of the other area hotels. For those who are looking to travel on a moderate budget, there are several ways one can secure a lower rate. You can advance purchase your room, which will offer you savings, or if you are flexible with your travel dates, periods of low occupancy will offer you a lower rate compared to periods of high occupancy. We also offer discounts to AAA/CAA members, Seniors and government employees among others. We’re always glad to help our guest look at options to get the best value from their money.

Again, we’d like to thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Canadian135
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Good for both business and tourism. The hotel is on the (somewhat sketchy) edge of the Byward Market - great location for visiting Parliament, National Arts Centre, and other tourist locations. However, can get rowdy at night. I always felt safe as a woman alone. Nice rooms (top floor - two queen beds, with tons of pillows), and spacious. Excellent desk for working, with lots of plugs for electronics, and free wi-fi. Pool is big for a hotel pool, with a separate toddler pool and small hot tub. 24 hour Dunn's across the street, as well as convenience store, schwarma and pizza joints, 5 minutes to more upscale Byward Market Restaurants, and 5 minutes to the Rideau Centre.

Room Tip: Quietest on top floor - which is fourth floor.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
We’d like to thank you for giving us such great feedback on TripAdvisor!

You’re absolutely right; our hotel is great for those travelling on business or pleasure! Located in the heart of the Byward, we’re within walking distance of the Parliament Buildings, Congress Centre, National Art Gallery, over 100 restaurants and pubs and more! The Byward Market is a very vibrant location, day or night, while still being a safe environment for groups or individuals. For those who may be concerned about noise from the activities going on, we suggest requesting a courtyard facing room.

We’re glad you enjoyed our rooms and amenities. Our rooms were upgraded about a year ago to make them not only stylish and comfortable, but also very functional for those who need to do work in their room. The pool is great area to relax, exercise or have some fun!

We’re glad you had such a good stay with us and we look forward to hosting your next trip to the Nation’s Capital!