“Great Location”

Ranked #23 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Whitby, Canada
“Great Location”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed at the Mariott on Sept 21st, 2012. The location was great as you are close to many attractions and restaurants. There was some road construction in the downtown area, but not a big deal to me. Room was clean and staff was friendly !!
I didn't have any problems with the noise from the downtown area.

The only problem I had was that the internet was down for our entire stay !!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Courtyard Marriott Ottawa!

We’re glad to hear that you liked our location. It’s certainly one of the best in Ottawa because we’re located in the heart of the Byward Market and you have so much to see and do all within a very short walk! Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of construction in the area as Ottawa improves its infrastructure. Thankfully the construction is running on schedule and will hopefully be done soon. I look forward to passing on your kind comments to our staff, as they work very hard to make our guests feel at home when they stay with us. We also pride ourselves on always offering our guests a clean room every time they check-in. We’re sorry that the hotel was experiencing technical difficulties with our wi-fi internet while you were with us. There was a network issue in the area but I’m happy to let you know that the problem has since been resolved and our internet is fully functional again!

Again, we’d like to thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We look forward to hosting your next trip to the Nation’s Capital!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Toronto
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel was a great base for our long weekend in Ottawa. It was close to a wide selection of restaurants, and to many of the Nuit Blanche activities. Our room was very quiet, clean and comfortable. Service was excellent. My only complaints were that there were problems with the wireless internet on the day we arrived (settled by some time the next day), and we had a 4:30am wake up call the first night (not requested by us!). The wake up call was removed, with abject apologies. We'd go back.

Room Tip: We requested a quiet room and got one in the middle, facing into the courtyard, well away from stair...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
We sincerely thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay.

We did recently have our Nuit Blanche event which we sponsored and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed it. Our location truly is one of our greatest assets. The hotel is close to lots of restaurants and great attractions. We hope you took advantage of it.

We do apologize for the wakeup call. We do typically ask for the room number and verify the name before programming the wakeup so this sort of thing does not happen. We will be sure to review the protocol with the front desk.

Customer service is important to us so we always do our best to provide excellent service for all guests. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to see you again in the future!
Oshawa, Ontario
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I travelled with my son to Ottawa staying one night at the Marriot. It's location is excellent as you are close to all the main attractions in the downtown Ottawa area. You are within short walking distance of everywhere and their public transit system is good alternative to driving. We walked to the Parliament buildings and it took approx 10m.

First impression is a clean foyer and the staff are very helpful. The pool and hot tub are both in good repair with lots of towels on hand. The gym had the lastest excersise equipment, and the Bistro in the lobby offers snacks and refreshments at reasonable prices.

Our room was spacious and very clean and quiet. We had a double queen bed room and the beds were very comfortable along with many pillows on each bed.

Highly recommend this hotel if travelling to this area.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 410 which was very quiet...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Firstly, I would like to thank you for the positive comments regarding your last stay with us!

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your whole stay from the location, staff, rooms and amenities. As you have said our location is excellent. It is close by to many things and within walking distance to over 100 restaurants.

We did recently finish the first phase of renovations and this included the foyer, guest rooms, pool/fitness area and the Bistro. We hope you were able to take advantage of the pool during your stay. We will be sure to pass on your positive comments to our staff.

Thank you again and we hope to host you during your next trip to Ottawa!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This hotel is great for location, location, location....but the downtown road construction and the hotel underground parking construction means it is not car-friendly. Was there with my daughter who was trying to find living accommodations for her stay at U of Ottawa, so drove up and needed access to my car throughout both days.....thank goodness for Joseph, the smiling, charming valet, otherwise I would have been pretty frustrated! The front desk staff are busy and impersonal; guests are left to self-navigate.....but Joseph...he is the face of Marriott that I am sure the company wants every staff member to see!
I read the reviews and chose this Marriott hotel for location despite the underground parking situation so I was prepared - but I did see some pretty frustrated guests waiting and waiting for their car to arrive from valet parking....not sure where are cars were kept....
It was great to come back from our travels and know that we could just walk over to the
Byward Market for shopping, restaurants, etc.
As other reviewers said, a courtyard room is a must!! Unless you want the street noise - we watched the party-going guests exit the elevator towards the rooms facing the main road and we were very glad that we had a quiet room - we slept very well :)

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard facing room if you want a good rest!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Courtyard by Marriott.

We did recently reconstruct our ramp to the underground parking and during that time we had offered valet/bellman services to ease the frustration of having limited onsite parking. We are pleased to hear that Joseph was so helpful and pleasant. Our staff had parked vehicles with an affiliate lot down the street. However, I am happy to say that the underground parking has now been reopened!

I am sorry to hear that you found our front desk staff impersonal. We take our customer service seriously. Feel free to contact me personally to share your experience at 613 241 1000.
Our location in the market truly is one of the best! We are close to over 100 restaurants and various attractions. It is great that you found the market enjoyable.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope that we will see you again during your next stay to Ottawa and we can show you what our true Courtyard standard customer service is all about!

-Monica Schoeni
Canada
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I recently enjoyed a 2 night stay at the Courtyard by Marriott located right in the trendy Byward Market area in downtown Ottawa. To be frank, my initial impressions of the hotel’s exterior, were not that great. That said, all the positive aspects which I experienced from this hotel during my stay, greatly overshadowed these first impressions.

The clerks at the front desk were consistently efficient, helpful and friendly. My room on the second floor was spacious, clean and surprisingly quiet given the busy night life of the area. I actually had the best sleep in this hotel. My mattress was super comfortable and I loved all the cozy pillows placed at the head of the bed. There was also a coffee maker (with complimentary coffee) and a fridge for convenience, which I definitely used. My only complaint was that there was no shower cap or hair dyer in the bathroom on-suite. These aren’t essential items for everyone, but for those who need them, now you know to bring our own.

The Courtyard has a small fitness room equipped with free weights and a few treadmills. There is also a really decent size indoor swimming pool as well as a jacuzzi, both of which I used during my stay.

The lobby area was modest but comfortable and homey. There was also a computer station with two desk top computers for hotel guests.

FYI, if you drive there, be sure to enter from Dalhousie Street when you first arrive. On the subject of parking, it may be mentioned that there is the convenience of outdoor as well as indoor parking to choose from.

To conclude I loved my stay there and would highly recommend this hotel to those either on business or vacation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CanadaPipa1
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
First we would like to thank you for posting your feedback from your recent stay with us!

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff efficient and friendly. We did recently renovate our rooms to update our design and furniture. Our rooms do have amenities such as the single serve coffee maker which is great for guests looking for a morning coffee. However, I did see that you mentioned that there was no hair dryer in the room. In all our rooms we have hairdryers in the closet along with the iron and ironing board. If, for whatever reason, you do not have one in the room you could always call the front desk and we will gladly deliver one.

I am pleased to see that you took advantage of the pool/fitness area. We do have onsite parking available for guests for a fee. Our lot does have the above ground and underground option with key card access.

I am happy that you loved your time here and we hope to see you in the future!
Toronto,Ont
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Excellent location in the middle of Byward Market where all the actions are. We are able to walk to all attractions. Very clean and well furnished room. Very good package with free cook to order breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for giving the Courtyard Marriott Ottawa a great review on TripAdvisor.

We’re glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We are ideally located in the heart of the Byward Market so our guests have so much to explore all within a short walk. From great food to unique shops to fun tourist activities; you will find it all in the area. We also offer a lot of great packages that can include breakfast or museum passports, just to name a few, that help our guests take full advantage of their stay. We’re also happy that you like our recently renovated rooms. We wanted to make them relaxing and practical and of course, always clean!

Again, we’d like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with others and we hope to see you the next time you’re in Ottawa!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is one of the best experiences I've ever had at a hotel and it was the amazing staff that made all the difference. From the guy (who was actually off the clock) jockeying cars in the lot to the great front desk staff and the super sweet room attendants. A great experience overall.

We had a block of 5 rooms as we were here for my 40th birthday. Even though my particular room wasn't ready until very late (they were super full and super busy) the staff were so kind and accommodating. A little kindness during a stressful situation made everything a okay.

The location can't be beat. Our courtyard facing view wasn't much to look at but it made for a silent nights sleep in the hustle and bustle of the Byward Market.

The gym here is small, but with good a/c and the best most up-to-date Precor Ellipticals and Treadmills. 2 of each with individual TVs. One flat bench (adjustable to inclune) with 2.5-25lb hand weights and one Precor recumbent bike too. Pool area is nice and clean and there's a hot tub too.

I'd definitely come back and stay here on a visit to Ottawa.

Thank you!!

• Stayed September 2012
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thank you for publshing your feedback on TripAdvisor! We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I'm happy that our front desk agents were accomodating and were able to help you when the room wasn't ready. Our staff do our best to assist all guests and we take our customer service seriously. We hope you had fun during your 40th birthday.

We do have a great location that allows access to over 100 restaurants and various attractions. Our gym/pool area has been recently renovated and does have new equipment in it. I'm pleased to hear that you were able to take advantage of the area during your stay.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again!