“Great location and complimentary high-speed Internet!”

Courtyard Ottawa Downtown
Ranked #21 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Vienna, Austria
“Great location and complimentary high-speed Internet!”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

This hotel has a great location in the heart of the ByWard Market which makes you save a lot on cabs. The rooms are well isolated so the noise from the busy surrounding streets is never an issue. Bonus: each guest room has complimentary high-speed Internet!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, July 2, 2011
Hi! Thank you for your review. We are thrilled that the hotel met all your expectations! The location is definitly one of our best assets! Everything is walking distance and you have so many restaurants, bars, and activities to choose from! We hope to have you stay with us again for your next trip to Ottawa! Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
London, Ontario
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Large renovated rooms in a great location with lots of outdoor parking. I could walk to all downtown tourist attractions including the Parliament Buildings. There are numerous restaurants and shops nearby in the Byward Market district. There is a comfortable lounge on the ground floor with a large television, sofas and newspapers and two computers with free access to the internet. In the same area is a breakfast bar with reasonably priced breakfast choices and a variety of seating options. There is another television in this area for customers. I ill be staying at this hotel again next week. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
We sincerely thank you for your great review. You couldn't have described the hotel better. We are happy and proud that you enjoyed the renovations. Our new lobby and lounge is area is the ideal location to appreciate all that the Courtyard by Marriott has to offer you. Relaxing atmosphere, big screen TV's to which you have control, large sofas, complimentary business centre, etc. Again thank you for taking the time to post a review and we'll look forward to your next stay with us!
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed at the Marriott Courtyard Ottawa Downtown in May 2011 for a family trip. We had three different rooms on the same floor. Each room was clean and comfortable. Upon arrival we were thrilled with the updated decor throughout the lobby and rooms. We were also very excited by the location. The hotel was steps from the market, great shops and restaurants. We also comfortably walked to the Parliment buildings and historic area of Ottawa. What a wonderful place to stay!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
We are delighted to hear that your stay at The Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa exceeded your expectations! We are pleased that we could offer you rooms all on the same floor to better enjoy your family getaway. We hope you choose us again when your travels bring you back to Ottawa!
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Near the market and all pubs.in the muddle of the action. However, bed not very comfortable.

• Stayed June 2011
Thank for your short but efficient review. We are happy you enjoyed the location of the hotel! We also thank you for your comment on the beds being too hard. We understand that mattress firmness is a personal preference and this is why we will purchase pillow top mattress pads. We invite you to request one when making your next reservation! It will be a pleasure to accommodate you and provide you with a more comfortable bed! Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have you staying with us again soon!
Mansfield, Connecticut
Reviewed June 11, 2011

The night before my arrival I called and requested both a microwave and a refrigerator and the man on the phone told me they could not guarantee it, so I was pleased upon arrival (5:30 p.m. on a Friday) to be told that they could accommodate me. Additionally, after reading reviews stating that some rooms could be noisy, I decided to ask for a quieter room and the staff were helpful. In fact, they even allowed me to check a second room after I realized my room was near the elevator. In the end I kept the original room which turned out to be fine. A few other issues brought me to the front desk and I expected the staff to be impatient, but this never happened and they truly seemed to want to help. They happily gave me directions many times since I had to meet friends who were staying in two other hotels. The location was great in terms of walking to shops and restaurants and it also enabled me to walk to the start of the marathon in under 15 minutes. The rooms are nicely updated though the carpet installation seemed unprofessional or incomplete and some fixtures were not updated though none of this had any affect on the room. I especially appreciated the comfortable bed and slept quite well. I used the "workout" room which honestly disappointed. It had two treadmills, an elliptical, and maybe a few weights though I do not remember since I only wanted to run though I didn't stay long since the temperature actually made it feel like a steam room. Also, I used the Jacuzzi later in the day and some bubbles were discolored. I cannot speak about the food as I did not try anything. The free wireless proved useful. The Canadians were wonderful and if I find myself in Ottawa again I would definitely stay at this hotel as I had a great experience the entire weekend.

Room Tip: If you like quiet, ask for a courtyard room.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest: We can't thank you enough for your complete review and positive feedback! We are extremely happy to learn that the Front Desk were able to assign you a room with a mini-fridge and microwave. We are also happy to learn that the team was efficient in making sure you were fully satisfied with your room! Thank you for your feedback on the 'technical' issues you experienced in your room. I invite you to contact me directly (info@courtyardmarriottottawa.ca) to let me know in what room you stayed. We will make sure our maintenance department follows up to adjust the carpet. We will look forward to having you stay with us next year, for the Ottawa Marathon!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2011

We were impressed by the efficient check-in & friendly staff at the front desk from the moment we arrived. This was our first time at the Courtyard Marriott on Dalhousie and we were delighted to find it well located to Byward Market and dozens of choices of restaurants and sightseeing attractions. The housekeeping staff also were very friendly and helpful and the rooms were spotlessly clean. I enjoyed the use of the fitness room every day of our stay but unfortunately the rules about showers and the lack of showers and changing rooms in the pool area prevented me from using the pool. Hope they get that sorted out before our next trip to Ottawa, when I hope to stay again at the Courtyard Marriott.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, June 11, 2011
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at The Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa. I am extremely happy to hear that your check-in experience was efficiant, pleasant and friendly! I will make sure to pass on your positive comments to our Front Desk and Housekeeping staff! On the other end, I am very sorry to hear that you weren't able to enjoy our pool. I will make sure our Maintenance department addresses your concerns as soon as possible. Although the pool area doesn't have showers, there are 2 bathrooms / changing rooms in the weight room area of our fitness centre. Again, we sincerely thank you for your feedback and we look forward to being your host again for your next stay in Ottawa!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott on the Friday and Saturday of the May long weekend. It definitely is a great location. Close to everything. However, we made the mistake of deciding to drive to a restaurant in Gatineau on the Saturday night. This was on the recommendation from the hotel front desk staff. When we got back from dinner there was no parking remaining at the hotel. Had we known that we could not get back into the hotel parking we would have stayed in the area for dinner. The front desk staff should have warned us that we would not be able to get parked in the hotel when return from dinner. When I asked if this is typical on a Friday and Saturday night the staff told me it was normal. Given this this is a regular problem at the hotel the front desk should have at least warned us before we left for dinner.
Overall the hotel is okay. I'd say it is nothing special. The room is average for what I'd call a 3 star hotel. The bathroom area is actually very small. It was hard to put our toiletries bag on the bathroom counter since it was so tiny.
One last warning. Since it's in the nightlight area of Byward market it can get noisy late in the evening on a Friday or Saturday night if you have a room facing out to the street.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
DAB8899, Director of Sales at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, June 8, 2011
Thank you for your candid feedback about your recent stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa. I am pleased to see that overall you had a good stay at the hotel, finding our location in the Byward Market to be close to attractions, restaurants, shopping and more.
I was, however, disappointed to read about your experiences with the parking availability during your stay. During peak leisure months, this can be a challenge for any downtown hotel as many of our guests drive to Ottawa. Your suggestions have been passed along to our Guest Services Manager in order to implement new strategies for dealing with this situation including proactively warning guests of the demand on the parking spaces. When these sitations occur, other alternatives should be offered such as the public lot adjacent to the hotel.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again.
Sincerely