“All Positive”

Ranked #20 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Mansfield, Connecticut
“All Positive”
Reviewed June 11, 2011

The night before my arrival I called and requested both a microwave and a refrigerator and the man on the phone told me they could not guarantee it, so I was pleased upon arrival (5:30 p.m. on a Friday) to be told that they could accommodate me. Additionally, after reading reviews stating that some rooms could be noisy, I decided to ask for a quieter room and the staff were helpful. In fact, they even allowed me to check a second room after I realized my room was near the elevator. In the end I kept the original room which turned out to be fine. A few other issues brought me to the front desk and I expected the staff to be impatient, but this never happened and they truly seemed to want to help. They happily gave me directions many times since I had to meet friends who were staying in two other hotels. The location was great in terms of walking to shops and restaurants and it also enabled me to walk to the start of the marathon in under 15 minutes. The rooms are nicely updated though the carpet installation seemed unprofessional or incomplete and some fixtures were not updated though none of this had any affect on the room. I especially appreciated the comfortable bed and slept quite well. I used the "workout" room which honestly disappointed. It had two treadmills, an elliptical, and maybe a few weights though I do not remember since I only wanted to run though I didn't stay long since the temperature actually made it feel like a steam room. Also, I used the Jacuzzi later in the day and some bubbles were discolored. I cannot speak about the food as I did not try anything. The free wireless proved useful. The Canadians were wonderful and if I find myself in Ottawa again I would definitely stay at this hotel as I had a great experience the entire weekend.

Room Tip: If you like quiet, ask for a courtyard room.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Dear Guest: We can't thank you enough for your complete review and positive feedback! We are extremely happy to learn that the Front Desk were able to assign you a room with a mini-fridge and microwave. We are also happy to learn that the team was efficient in making sure you were fully satisfied with your room! Thank you for your feedback on the 'technical' issues you experienced in your room. I invite you to contact me directly (info@courtyardmarriottottawa.ca) to let me know in what room you stayed. We will make sure our maintenance department follows up to adjust the carpet. We will look forward to having you stay with us next year, for the Ottawa Marathon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2011

We were impressed by the efficient check-in & friendly staff at the front desk from the moment we arrived. This was our first time at the Courtyard Marriott on Dalhousie and we were delighted to find it well located to Byward Market and dozens of choices of restaurants and sightseeing attractions. The housekeeping staff also were very friendly and helpful and the rooms were spotlessly clean. I enjoyed the use of the fitness room every day of our stay but unfortunately the rules about showers and the lack of showers and changing rooms in the pool area prevented me from using the pool. Hope they get that sorted out before our next trip to Ottawa, when I hope to stay again at the Courtyard Marriott.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, June 11, 2011
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at The Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa. I am extremely happy to hear that your check-in experience was efficiant, pleasant and friendly! I will make sure to pass on your positive comments to our Front Desk and Housekeeping staff! On the other end, I am very sorry to hear that you weren't able to enjoy our pool. I will make sure our Maintenance department addresses your concerns as soon as possible. Although the pool area doesn't have showers, there are 2 bathrooms / changing rooms in the weight room area of our fitness centre. Again, we sincerely thank you for your feedback and we look forward to being your host again for your next stay in Ottawa!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott on the Friday and Saturday of the May long weekend. It definitely is a great location. Close to everything. However, we made the mistake of deciding to drive to a restaurant in Gatineau on the Saturday night. This was on the recommendation from the hotel front desk staff. When we got back from dinner there was no parking remaining at the hotel. Had we known that we could not get back into the hotel parking we would have stayed in the area for dinner. The front desk staff should have warned us that we would not be able to get parked in the hotel when return from dinner. When I asked if this is typical on a Friday and Saturday night the staff told me it was normal. Given this this is a regular problem at the hotel the front desk should have at least warned us before we left for dinner.
Overall the hotel is okay. I'd say it is nothing special. The room is average for what I'd call a 3 star hotel. The bathroom area is actually very small. It was hard to put our toiletries bag on the bathroom counter since it was so tiny.
One last warning. Since it's in the nightlight area of Byward market it can get noisy late in the evening on a Friday or Saturday night if you have a room facing out to the street.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
DAB8899, Director of Sales at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, June 8, 2011
Thank you for your candid feedback about your recent stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa. I am pleased to see that overall you had a good stay at the hotel, finding our location in the Byward Market to be close to attractions, restaurants, shopping and more.
I was, however, disappointed to read about your experiences with the parking availability during your stay. During peak leisure months, this can be a challenge for any downtown hotel as many of our guests drive to Ottawa. Your suggestions have been passed along to our Guest Services Manager in order to implement new strategies for dealing with this situation including proactively warning guests of the demand on the parking spaces. When these sitations occur, other alternatives should be offered such as the public lot adjacent to the hotel.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again.
Sincerely

Denise Breau
Cluster Director of Sales & Marketing
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Hotel was next to all the popular restaurants and bars.
Rooms were clean, easy to get on Web.
Would recommend for future stays.

Room Tip: Get room away from street where bars are
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, May 29, 2011
Hi! Thank you for your review! Indeed, The Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa is located in a vibrant location, walking distance from hundreds of bars and restaurants! We have rooms facing the Byward Market and rooms facing our inner Courtyard. When booking at the hotel for business or pleasure, do not hesitate to contact us in advance and we'll make sure to pre-assign you a room facing our inner Courtyard! Again, thank you for choosing us for your stay in Ottawa! We hope to be your host again soon!
London, Canada
Reviewed May 22, 2011

We stayed 3 nights, the market was a 2 minute walk and there was always something going on to see there. The room was clean and the price was very good. The parking is a nightmare but not just here most hotels in Ottawa.Parking was a reasonable cost and it was a well lit lot. I had a 2004 Freestar and it a bit of a challenge to park Lots of night life right at or around hotel but noise was not a problem. A block away there was a place to get "elephant ears" of all flavours. The market was fantastic!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback! We are very thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We are sorry that parking was a little tricky to manage with a larger car. If you don't feel comfortable parking your car here, we can always offer you different options of other lots nearby! The Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa is definitly the perfect spot if you are in Ottawa to taste 'elephant ears' or Beaver Tails, as we call them here! They are delicious! Again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments and we look forward to being your host again soon!
Oakdale, Minnesota
Reviewed May 21, 2011

The staff here went out of their way to make sure that everything was as I wished. More so than many other hotels at which I've stayed. A truly outstanding experience!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Loos: We appreciate your kind message regarding the exemplary service you received while staying with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Exceptional associates who exceed guest expectations are a source of pride at Marriott. We will make sure to share your feedback with all our associates! Thank you for choosing The Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa and we look forward to meeting your future lodging needs!
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed May 10, 2011

If Trip Advisor allowed half scores I would have given this hotel a score of four and a half, because really I could find little to no fault at all. It is in a great location, my room (recently refurbished) was terrific and the staff could not have been more helpful.

As a diabetic, I have medication which needs refrigeration and I was particularly impressed, when after arriving and finding no bar fridge in my room and asking the staff if they had a place my insulin could be refrigerated - they delivered a fridge to me in 5 minutes flat!

The only reason I cant give the Courtyard a five is that it just lacks that little something unique that other hotels have

But I'd not hesitate to stay here again next time I am in Ottawa

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
CYDutyManager, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, May 14, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review! I'm happy the Front Desk staff were efficiant and fast to accommodate you with a refrigerator. We have some rooms that have mini-fridge permanently and now that the renovations are completed, we are working on having mini-frigdes in all our rooms! Do not hesitate to contact the hotel before your next stay and we will do everything in our power to assign you a room with a fridge, if not, make sure we have one set aside for you! Again, we are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again during your next stay in Ottawa!