Fairmont Chateau Laurier
Lord Elgin(Ottawa)
$169
$147
  • Pool
Les Suites Hotel Ottawa(Ottawa)
$144
$183
$138
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
$205
$153
  • Pool
The Business Inn & Suites(Ottawa)(Great Value!)
$106
$152
$141
Agoda.com
  • Pool
ByWard Blue Inn(Ottawa)(Great Value!)
$180
$115
3,278 results
All reviewsgold floorzoe's loungepresident's clubbyward marketrideau canalbeautiful hotelclassic hotelparliament hilldeluxe roomottawa riverwar memorialan upgradenational galleryvalet parkingmarket areavisiting ottawalaurier
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 22, 2011

Pleasant, professional staff from the doorman to the front desk make one feel welcome. Much more spacious lobby and other public areas than in more modern hotels. Built in the early 20th century, this old girl has kept her looks, but the wrinkles do show through.

The rooms, with their 12-foot ceilings are perhaps smaller than they would appear otherwise, and the bathrooms are also smaller than one might reasonably expect. They are, however, updated to current standards.

One thing I did find distracting was the lack of soundproofing between rooms. The room I was in had adjoining doors on either side and while no sound was discernible through the walls, the doors were another matter. I don't have a solution; I only point out the problem.

They have a good gym and a nice pool, but I was disappointed that the pool was not maintained to a higher standard. There was a dirty ring on the tiles around the pool - much like my kids used to leave behind in the tub. Not what I would have expected, given the high standard of cleanliness throughout the rest of the hotel.

That they charge a rather outrageous fee (about $14/day as I recall) for internet access does nothing to endear them to me. That, and $5 for 15 minutes in the business centre is just plain cheap - and not in a good way. I expected better

Great location, close to Parliament hill, Rideau Centre and most importantly, the Byward Market.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 21, 2011

First thing I would like to suggest - if you are staying at any Fairmont join the Presidents Club. It is free and gives you free internet during your stay. This saves at least $14 a day.
At the end of November we decided to go to Ottawa for Christmas and booked 4 nights at the Fairmont.
Every staff member we encountered, from any department, always welcomed us with a smile and a hello/bonjour.
Our room overlooked the Parliament buildings. It had an alcove formed by one of the building's turrets. In the alcove was the desk. The only problem with this is that the room heating to not reach or was not too successful in heating this area when the outside temperature was -10degC.
The only other problem we had was that because we had booked at the end of November initially we were not able to get any reservations for Chrismas dinner. In the end we were able to get in at 9.00pm.
We chose the hotel for its location and the fact that it compared fabourably with other downtown hotels for cost. Though if you are on a strict budget eating in the hotel is not for you. Christmas dinner was $100 each without drinks, breakfast was $28 each, afternoon tea was $40 each. Parking was $35 a night (park yourself). SUV's, vans and trucks are too tall to park under the covered parking. Being Christmas there were few people travelling on business, thus the Gold Floor was closed.

2  Thank TorontoTimTim
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We had booked a last minute reservation at this hotel for two nights and prepaid for the first night to secure the reservation. When we arrived we were told by the Front Desk clerk that there would be no electricity between 10:00pm and 6:00am and we were provided with two glow sticks. I said that I was astounded that Reservations had taken my prepaid reservation wothout notifying me about the electrical blackout. The clerk immediately blurted out that there would be no compensation (I hadn't asked for any at that time) and if I didn't like the arrangement they would book me a hotel somewhere else. I said I didn't feel safe staying in a hotel without electricity and took up her offer to book me a hotel room somewhere else. Her only responce was "go over there" pointing to the Concierge desk and proceeded to help the next unfortunate soul in the line. She was a trainee, so I am not sure if she was plain rude or nervous (I wasn't aggressive in any way). I have to question the quality of management if the manager puts a trainee as the only person on the front desk during such unsual circumstances. I will never go back although I am a member of their President's club. BTW I did get a refund.

2  Thank Simba56
ChateauLaurier, Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2011

First please allow me to apologize for the short power outage that occurred due to technical and safety challenges. This situation has been remedied as a result of the repair done during your attempted stay. I am especially sorry to hear the manner in which the situation was communicated to you at the Front Desk. We would like to be in touch with you directly regarding your challenges so that we may follow up with the agent in question. We are committed to providing our guest with the highest level of service excellence and we take such comments very seriously.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further with us, I would encourage you to please contact me at 613-562-7081.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Sean Billing
Director of Operations
Fairmont Château Laurier

Reviewed January 4, 2011

I stayed there for 3 nights between Christmas and New Year. As far as we can see, the hotel wasn't that busy. In fact, the Gold Floor seemed to be unoccupied for two of those nights, as evidenced by the shut down of the Gold Floor Lounge.

Compared to Victoria Empress, Vancouver Fairmont Airport, Calgary Palliser, Banff Springs, and Chateau Lake Louise, this hotel appeared understaffed. To begin with, the front entrance had no bellmen, and we had to carry our heavy luggage through heavy revolving doors ( the front door had a sign saying " use revolving doors") which has a small window of time to exit before the door slams on your behind. Check in clerk did not have the poise and efficiency of those that we recently encountered at Banff and Lake Louise .

As Fairmont President's Club member, we were given a renovated room which has lived up to our expectation. It is very roomy compared with the Fairmont rooms at others we have stayed, with the exception of Vancouver Airport. The furniture, bathroom were all nicely done in the old world theme. The only flaw is the small old TV , which must be an oversight as it did not get replaced by an LCD like the other Fairmonts. Hallways and elevator area all very grand, as is the lobby area. Oh, there's another design flaw: the coffee maker is just a tad too tall, one has to push down on it to slide the tray back into place. I was disappointed with housekeeping in that they forgot to replenish my tea on Days 2 and 3. Despite asking them on day 2, they still managed to forget again on day3. Another sign of carelessness was the inconsistent number of small towels. Usually at Fairmont we get three, but here one day it's three, the other days two.

This is a nice hotel, once all the rooms are renovated ( we look out into scaffolding during our stay ) I am happy with my stay, but need to point out areas that can be improved.

Reviewed December 30, 2010

We returned to the Chateau after a disapointing stay in 2008 and I'm happy to say things have improved. The hotel looked better maintained and although it was an unusually busy Monday night, after a long holiday season, the staff were great. We had dinner at Wilfreds where the food and service were excellent and a romantic view of the Christmas lights outside to match. When we mentioned that we were celebrating our anniversary, the bartender at Zoes brought us a plate of celebatory truffles. It was a visit that we will remember for all good reasons.

1  Thank AsIfOttawa