“Service lags behind other Canadian Fairmonts” 4 of 5 bubbles

Fairmont Chateau Laurier
Ranked #17 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary, Alberta
“Service lags behind other Canadian Fairmonts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2011

I stayed there for 3 nights between Christmas and New Year. As far as we can see, the hotel wasn't that busy. In fact, the Gold Floor seemed to be unoccupied for two of those nights, as evidenced by the shut down of the Gold Floor Lounge.

Compared to Victoria Empress, Vancouver Fairmont Airport, Calgary Palliser, Banff Springs, and Chateau Lake Louise, this hotel appeared understaffed. To begin with, the front entrance had no bellmen, and we had to carry our heavy luggage through heavy revolving doors ( the front door had a sign saying " use revolving doors") which has a small window of time to exit before the door slams on your behind. Check in clerk did not have the poise and efficiency of those that we recently encountered at Banff and Lake Louise .

As Fairmont President's Club member, we were given a renovated room which has lived up to our expectation. It is very roomy compared with the Fairmont rooms at others we have stayed, with the exception of Vancouver Airport. The furniture, bathroom were all nicely done in the old world theme. The only flaw is the small old TV , which must be an oversight as it did not get replaced by an LCD like the other Fairmonts. Hallways and elevator area all very grand, as is the lobby area. Oh, there's another design flaw: the coffee maker is just a tad too tall, one has to push down on it to slide the tray back into place. I was disappointed with housekeeping in that they forgot to replenish my tea on Days 2 and 3. Despite asking them on day 2, they still managed to forget again on day3. Another sign of carelessness was the inconsistent number of small towels. Usually at Fairmont we get three, but here one day it's three, the other days two.

This is a nice hotel, once all the rooms are renovated ( we look out into scaffolding during our stay ) I am happy with my stay, but need to point out areas that can be improved.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2010

We returned to the Chateau after a disapointing stay in 2008 and I'm happy to say things have improved. The hotel looked better maintained and although it was an unusually busy Monday night, after a long holiday season, the staff were great. We had dinner at Wilfreds where the food and service were excellent and a romantic view of the Christmas lights outside to match. When we mentioned that we were celebrating our anniversary, the bartender at Zoes brought us a plate of celebatory truffles. It was a visit that we will remember for all good reasons.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AsIfOttawa
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2010

I recently stayed at Chateau Laurier with my husband who was on business; the room was prebooked, so I cannot comment on value for price. However, our room on the 3rd floor was adequate. The bedding and towels were spotless, carpet and bathroom floor seemed clean, and although the overall size of the room and bathroom was somewhat compact, it was enough for the time we spent there. After check out, we left bags for several hours, and while I waited for the last hour in the lobby while my husband attended a final meeting, there was certainly plenty of comfortable sitting space. Although we personally would not have chosen this hotel, it was not disappointing; it is a grand old spot, and offers a pleasant experience.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

My wife and I with our young toddler were looking forward to the start to our week vacation at the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa. But upon our 1am arrival the front desk staff told us we had no reservation. Half an hour later I was told that I had a 2 night reservation for the previous night forward. I could get a room that night but not for the following evening; that I was being charged a no show and better start looking for a new hotel. I hoped to access my e-mail online to look at the reservation form but was told that I would be charged $15 for online access - if you can believe it. Then I was rudely told I better start looking for another hotel for the next night as there was no way I was getting a room. Turned out my reso was correct after all! Onwards management and general management service was dismissive and / or non-existent.

But on a positive note...
Maids were super nice and gave us a full 5 stars service!!!

3 Thank dc40traveler
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2010

nothing special, decor is very elegant in the common areas but that's it. close to everything but so are the other hotels in Ottawa. would have rather stayed at a more modern boutique hotel. service wasn't anything spectacular, as I would have expected, got better and more personal service at the Hampton inn in new york. the breakfast buffet wasn't anything special.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank BEYLHR
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2010

Full disclosure - I had my wedding in the Chateau Laurier earlier this year and so I may have an unfair bias in rating this hotell! For those of you who are considering getting married here, I will say that they did an excellent job with the wedding and I really can't say enough good things about the staff and the job that they did overall.

The Chateau is the most historic of Ottawa hotels and it excludes a charm and ambience from a bygone era. It is a bit old, there are rumors of it being haunted, and there are some spots that could use some renovation, but for me this very much adds to the character of the place. This place represents old world charm - there is good and bad that comes with it (don't stay here if you prefer a modern accommodations), but for me, I love its grandeur and ambition.

Most importantly, the restaurant associated with the Chateau - Wilfred's - is one of my favorites in the city. As someone who now resides in New York City and who has been lucky enough to have had meals from all over the world, I can say that Wilfred's would stand out as a great restaurant anywhere.

Admittedly, if I don't come to Ottawa with a business expense account and/or my wife doesn't travel with me, I would probably choose to stay at one of the many excellent suites hotels that Ottawa has to offer - but for a romantic getaway (or when work is footing the bill), the Chateau Laurier will always be my first choice.

As a former Ottawa resident, I've recently been travelling back to Ottawa on business (and occasionally to see friends/attend weddings) and have been staying at many of the hotels downtown.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2010

My room was old and dirty. I had to keep my shoes on b/c the carpet looked very dirty. The room itself looked over used and very old. The TV was so old and small that I don't think you could give it away for free. The cost is high and frankly it is not measuring up with todays standard of what is needed for the modern traveler and their needs. The room had an odor that I couldn't figure out.

The parking is awful and very dark, the stairwell to get into the hotel is all cracked and you have to watch our or you will trip with dress shoes on. You would hardly see any staff around the lobby, security wise it is not that safe, anyone can waltz in and roam around the halls of the hotel, no one will stop you.

I am not impressed and will not book a room there for myself or any of my colleagues in the future. I will let my work place know not to put up females in this hotel, there is very little physical security noticed and going to the parking lot was scary.

This hotel must have been something in its day but today it is a tired run down building with hunted memories of the past.

2 Thank Concerncustomer75