“Four Fantastic Days”

Fairmont Chateau Laurier
Ranked #21 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 10, 2014

What a wonderful time we had at the Chatea Laurier! It started with the upgrade to a beautiful room at no extra charge, courtesy of the deskclerk. We slept very well, the bed was sooooo comfortable and we enjoyed the fresh clean linens each night. And What a fab location: We were able to walk to the Museum of Civilization, the Supreme Court of Canada, the War Museum, the National Arts Centre, Byward Market and the Rideau Canal. We used the well-equipped gym every morning and each evening upon our return to the hotel, we loved sitting in the piano bar, listening to a very talented Nathalie at the piano. Each staff person we spoke to was very generous with their time. i would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KarenDToronto
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear Karen,

Thank you for sharing your comments with others on Trip Advisor. It certainly sounds as though you enjoyed your visit to our Nation’s Capital.

We hope to welcome you back one day soon!

Claude J. Sauvé

Write a ReviewReviews (3,124)

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I have been meaning to write this review for months now, as when we travel to Ottawa, the Chateau Laurier is our hotel of choice, We stay here about ten times a year when we travel into the city for work meetings or medical appointments, or sometimes just so that we can attend social events and not have to worry about driving two hours home when fatigued.

The hotel's facade is beautiful. It is called a chateau and the name does not disappoint as it looks just like a castle. The interior decorations are historic and elegant and I enjoy sitting in the front lobby and the smaller lobbies just off them, not only to people watch but to admire the decor, crown molding, and furniture that reflects the 102 year age of the hotel. There are Karsh photographs scattered throughout the hotel, as well as a history of the hotel in pictures with written explanations that we find fascinating.

Now, I will try to go through details about the hotel in some kind of order.
I'll start with the arrival. When we arrive, we are always greeted with enthusiasm by the valet parking staff. We choose to have the valet park the car for us as it is somewhat congested at the front of the hotel. We did try to park our car in the car park once, but found it difficult to find the entrance, and after that, decided that even though it cost more, the valet parking was just easier. This isn't an inexpensive thing to do - I think the valet parking is somewhere around $38 for 24 hours, but the good thing is that in and out privileges are included. We have never not had our car available within 10 - 15 minutes of calling for it. We have learned that parking in downtown Ottawa is an expensive venture, no matter where you do it. We especially appreciate Gordon who greets us with a hug, now that we have been there so often.

The front desk staff are courteous and helpful. I strongly recommend signing up for the Fairmont President's Club before you arrive. This entitles you to stand in a separate line at the reception desk which can be useful if a lot of people are checking in and out at the same time. It also entitles you to free wifi in your room which is otherwise quite costly (I think it is close to $15 or $16 for 24h otherwise). I don't appreciate having to pay for wifi in hotels in this day and age, so this is a way to avoid that cost. The wifi has worked well anywhere that we have stayed in the hotel. The concierge staff are knowledgeable and always willing to be of assistance.

We have stayed in a variety of rooms over the years. My favourite place to stay is on the fourth floor gold level. However, this floor costs more and we cannot use a government rate while there, so I have to confess that we only stay here when someone else is paying ie for a work meeting. What I especially like, is the extremely attentive service from the well trained staff. This level has a private concierge. They always call us by name, and remember requests from one time to the next. There is a lounge in which breakfast and afternoon snacks are served. For breakfast, there are enough options available including: eggs (I think we have always had boiled eggs, and then sometimes other options like eggs benedict), cereals, oatmeal, cheeses, sliced meats, pastries, croissants, bread/toast, coffee, tea, juices, and my favourite, cut up fruit. We have never left hungry. On one occasion, my husband had an early medical appointment and 2 breakfasts were packed up for us to take along to the hospital as we were leaving prior to the breakfast hour. For the snacks, these are varied, but there always seems to be crackers and cheese,veggies, and then a variety of little things (one time spring rolls, another samosas, etc). Coffee and tea are available all the time the lounge is open, and there is an honour bar there, too. In the evenings, cookies are an option, too. My husband has to watch his sodium intake, and we were pleasantly surprised when the staff asked the chef to make special snacks for him.

We have always liked the rooms that we have stayed in, except on one occasion when, for some reason, we were in a tiny room. We should have asked to be moved, but weren't planning to be in the room much, so just stayed put. Usually, though, the rooms are of a good size, with a comfortable bed, good bedding, and pillows. You can make a request for the type of pillow that you prefer which is nice. The bathrooms have marble counter tops, but are pretty small overall, but that goes along with the age of the hotel. It is nice to have a bathrobe available, too, for going down to the pool. There is a Keurig type coffee maker in the room as well as a little kettle and some nice teas. The bathroom amenities smell good, although my husband thinks they are a little "girly" for him, having a faint rose scent. We preferred the previous brand of amenities, but these are of a nice quality overall. We have only had one noise complaint over the years, but the hotel staff dealt with it immediately. This isn't the type of hotel that caters to sports teams, so tends to be quiet in the halls overall. On occasion, you can hear some noise from the adjacent room, but this has only happened rarely.

The housekeepers do a good job and the rooms have always been clean. No complaints there and I am picky. On occasion, dishes from room service meals that are places outside doors in the evening are still there the next morning and I think that is one area that could be improved.

I love the hotel pool, especially after its conversion to salt water. It is long enough for swimming lengths, and the temperature hovers around 86 degrees, which is pleasant enough. It opens at 6 am, which is usually when I am in it. The change rooms are good with adequate space and with shampoo, cream rinse, and soap dispensers in each shower stall, Some shower stalls have more pressure than others so if you are one with a measly water supply, just switch. There are hairdryers, lockers with locks available. The pool area and change rooms are always clean, although there often seems to be "dirt" or sand around the shallow end ladder, which I definitely do not like. There are no flutter boards or toys available at the pool, like there used to be, so if you need them, I'd suggest bringing your own. I do see children in the pool sometimes, but without toys, it might be a little boring?? I haven't ever used the fitness area but it looks well equipped and is open 24 hours per day.

Wilfreds' restaurant is nice. We have had the buffet breakfast - no need to list the food items - there are lots. We especially like having omelettes prepared fresh while we wait. However, the breakfast is expensive, so we usually walk over to Cora's restaurant, on Rideau Street - if you go out the front doors of the hotel and turn left, walk for about 10 minutes, there it is. They have every breakfast food you could want for a cheaper price, and probably in a more child friendly environment. I wouldn't consider Wifred's to be child friendly especially during the dinner hour, unless you are teaching your kids how to eat quietly, and politely, etc. Don't get me wrong, the staff treat children with respect, but it is a pretty formal atmosphere.
We like going into Zoe's lounge, where you can get drinks and some meals. The afternoon tea there is something I do at Christmas time and it is always a treat.

The hotel location cannot be beat. It is right in the midst of the Byward market, which has a special atmosphere. It is great to be right next to the canal, the Parliament buildings, the locks, and the war memorial. There are numerous restaurants and shops nearby and a bank with an ATM one block away. There is a large Chapters store nearby and the Rideau Shopping Centre is only a short block away, as well.

All in all, we highly recommend this beautiful hotel. I wanted to give one example of the exceptional service that we have received. Years ago, we organized with the hotel to bring our old golden retriever to the hotel with us. She was terrified of the marble floor in the front lobby, and wouldn't walk across it. One of the bell boys suggested that she hop up onto the luggage cart, and he wheeled her to the elevators which were carpeted. Every time we had to take her out we would call for the bell boy who faithfully met us at the elevator door, where he encouraged her to hop onto the luggage cart, after which he would wheel her over to the front door. The process was repeated upon return from her outing. The double takes from other guests were so funny. However, I am just giving this as an example of the extra service that has been provided to us.

We don't have any children, so I can't comment on how the hotel environment would be for them, but I would think that somewhere else to stay might be better if your children like to run around and be a bit noisy. We did bring our niece here when she was about 14, and she thoroughly enjoyed this special treat. For us, this is our favourite Ottawa hotel and where we choose to stay when visiting the city.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

I always have time to read feedback from our guests, but it makes all the more special when it’s an expression of gratitude! Thank you so much for taking the time to write following your visit to our Hotel.

We strive to turn moments into memories for our guests and it is always with great pleasure when we hear we have been successful. Thank you again for letting us know.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

The Chateau did not disappoint me. From the reception of the doorman to the outstanding Valentines Day buffet my wife and I had a grand time at the Hotel and surrounding environs.
Winter Carnival was in full swing and we saw as many skaters as we did walkers. We ate at many nearby restaurants in the Market area, enjoyed the enthusiasm of the Canadians for their support of Winter Olympics, strolled among the creative ice sculptures and even found some Canadians willing to pull themselves away from the Olympics to watch an SU men's basketball game

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Dear George,

It certainly sounds as though you enjoyed your visit to our Nation’s Capital. Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed here in May 2013. Excellent location and a fine piece of history. The locks for canal are adjacent to the hotel and intriguing to watch as boats rise from the Ottawa river to the level of the canal above.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kayaker22
ChateauLaurier, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Fairmont Château Laurier. You are absolutely correct; Ottawa’s castle holds great history and an abundance of stories.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Regards,

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I just stayed 5 nights at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier, in Ottawa, Canada. It is a very historic and elegant hotel.

I always believe it's the people who work in the hotel that make an excellent hotel. There are two people I want to recommend for their excellent service; one is the front desk agent, Mr. Steve Archambault for his honesty, who held on to my money change after I absentmindedly misplaced the change he had given me. He was ready for me after I went back many hours later and he had my money in an envelope.

The second person I want to acknowledge is the housekeeper for my room, Ms. Wan Laiu, who was courteous, professional, always smiling, and made me feel like at home away from home. Again, I wish to thank both of them for making my stay a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: a room that face the Parliament.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank mabel_amar
ChateauLaurier, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear Mabel,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive feedback about the Fairmont Château Laurier.

We agree that people are our number one asset! We are delighted that you had memorable interactions with our colleagues, we will be sure to share your positive comments with them.

Yours truly,

Director, Public Relations.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We arrived in a rush. Late for our dinner reservations and stressed out. The front desk staff went above and beyond to put our mind at ease. They called and changed our dinner reservations so that we had time to change and enjoy a drink in the lounge. Our car was valeted and a cab was waiting to take us to dinner when we were ready to go. Our room was beautiful and well-appointed as were all of the areas of the hotel. We enjoyed a wonderful breakfast buffet this morning and strolling through the art gallery. All of the staff we encountered were committed to customer service and very friendly and the attention to detail at this location is simply amazing. We will definitely recommend this property and will certainly visit again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you so sharing your comments with others on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Fairmont Château Laurier.

I am delighted to hear that our colleagues were able to alleviate some of your stress and helped you to enjoy your visit.

We appreciate you recommending our castle to others and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours truly,

Reviewed February 28, 2014

We had two rooms in the hotel-- one that was a recently renovated room and another that was on the Gold Floor. Both rooms were lovely.

The Gold floor staff went above and beyond in every way imaginable. They helped me carry back breakfast to my room when they saw I was pushing a stroller, gave my children stickers, and helped me locate an office building I needed to deliver some documents to. I have been lucky enough to stay on the Gold Floor at many Fairmont Hotels--but the service at this particular hotel blew me away. A very special thank you to Mallory for making our stay so wonderful. We will be back!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your kind comments regarding the Fairmont Château Laurier.

We are always delighted to read such wonderful compliments regarding our valued colleagues.

Rest assured, we will be sure to pass along your kind remarks.