“Best location in the city!”

Fairmont Chateau Laurier
Ranked #21 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This was my first visit to Ottawa and I wanted to be close to the main attractions of the city. Arrival was close to noon, check in was fast but our room was not available (I was kind of expecting this due to the long weekend). The concierge desk took our luggage and gave us a map and quick explanation of the city attractions, she gave very helpful information. After a longer than expected trip to the Parliament (right next to the hotel) we returned and our room was ready by now. I would recommend, especially during the winter months to get a deluxe room. What a difference between this room and the standard Fairmont rooms. The room was huge, King bed, computer desk, two bathrooms (one with bathtub and the other with a shower), sofa, two chairs and a table. The bed was very comfortable. The only complaint from the room is that sometimes your could hear people talking from other rooms. Windows were small, but the Parliament building views at night was priceless from the 4th floor! If you are not, sign in for the President's Club and you will get free Wifi, newspaper and other special check in/out line. There is an ice machine in every floor
Every encounter with the staff was very positive, always helpful. The best thing of this hotel is the location: You are next to the Parliament buildings, two blocks from the Rideau Centre (mall), 3 blocks from several top rated restaurants. I will recommend stopping by the Milestones Bar & Grill to your left, probably a 20 seconds walk, great dining experience.
You can use the gym facilities which looked nice and modern and also it has a nice indoor pool. Not too many people at the pool, we still were able to grab a lounge chair. The lamps that are meant to provide heat, don't work too well.
The only bad thing I could say about this hotel are the bathrooms. Old room furniture goes well with the whole Chateau theme, but the bathrooms looook soooo old. You can see rust here and there and the shower didn't look like the cleanest one.
Hopefully the next time I go to Ottawa, it will be during the summer months. I know the Chateau Laurier will be top of my list when choosing a hotel.

Room Tip: If you go during the winter months, get the bigger deluxe rooms. They are so nice!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Dear Juan Daniel,

Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor. We are very fortunate to have the premier location in Ottawa!

In addition to upgrades of our main lobby and main dining room, we have had the great fortune of renovating a good portion of our room inventory. A second phase will commence in the new year

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Fairmont Chateau Laurier

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Very stately, classic in design. Has the feel of a Castle. Rooms vary in sizes; ours was quite large and very well equipped. Great restaurant - Wilfred's - with excellent lunch and breakfast buffet. Can't beat the location, right beside the Parliament Buildings. Front desk seemed a bit congested at times, resulting in waits, could probably do with more staff in that area.

Room Tip: West facing rooms overlook the Parliament buildings.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with others. We are extremely proud of our rich history and are glad that you enjoyed your time in Ottawa’s castle.

Thank you also for sharing your concerns regarding the delays you experienced at our Front Desk, on occasion. Rest assured that it is our goal to assist guests swiftly and seamlessly and we regret that we failed to do so in your case.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We were visiting friends who live in Ottawa and I have always wanted to spend a night at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier. The pricing for their winter special was fantastic. We had a very large and recently renovated room. Unlike most hotels, there were plenty of outlets to charge my gadgets. The bed was very comfortable, I think I had the best nights of sleep in months. The shower and tub were fantastic, as were the in room tea, coffee and body amenities. The staff were very attentive to our needs. Not to be missed, Saturday breakfast buffet at Wilfred's. Chef Jimmy is amazing.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Andy,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am delighted that your stay in Ottawa’s castle was a memorable one!

Rest assured that I will share your compliments with our colleagues, and in particular, Chef Jimmy in Wilfrid’s.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Old-world style, grace and elegance are the words that come to mind when I try to quantify what is the Chateau Laurier.

I stayed in a king bedded room and was impressed with the size and comfort. Classic style furniture, which I prefer over "modern", very comfortable bed and the best pillows I have ever had in a hotel. Beautiful duvet as well.

Amenities included: Keurig coffee maker, tea kettle, assortment of coffees and teas, free Wi-Fi and morning paper (President's Club Member - free to join) iron and ironing board, in-room safe, bathrobes and a very nice assortment of bath/shower products.

Their art deco pool is beautiful. Nice amenities pool side as well: deck chairs and loungers as well as heat lamps. A lovely way to relax after a busy day.

I also took the opportunity to experience the afternoon tea in the beautiful Zoe's Lounge. Excellent all round. Try the Empress Orange Pekoe.

The location is superb. Rideau Centre is right next door as well as the Byward Market. So much of what Ottawa has on offer is within a few minutes walk.

One of the elements I most enjoyed about the hotel however is the staff. You truly feel like a welcomed guest.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Chateau Laurier and look forward to visiting them and their sister hotels in the future.

Room Tip: Smoking rooms are available
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

It is always a pleasure to read such positive comments. It certainly sounds as if your stay in Ottawa’s castle was filled with memories!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments with others.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Spent a night here in October. We were upgraded to a huge room with a good view and 2 bathrooms. Triple LIKE. Roomy enough to play Taichi! Yet the furnishing and amenities are quite dated and need major refurbishment. The corridors are dark, the carpets,I believe, are rather old. That said the location is perfect, right next to the Parliament Hill. Guests can go for morning walks nearby and enjoy the quiet surroundings. As with most 5* hotels, no free wifi. But Tim Hortons and many cafes around town do offer free wifi.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor. We are very fortunate to have this premier location in our Nation’s Capital!

I would encourage you to join our Fairmont President’s Club as this program offers guests free WIFI and many other personalized options.

In addition to upgrades of our main lobby and main dining room, we have had the great fortune of renovating a good portion of our inventory. A second phase will commence in the new year

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

i've traveled with all my family(six adults) throigh Canada last yearand decided to stay only at fairmont hotels. The building is amazing. Toy can find everytin you want inside and the hotel itself is a major attraction. The only reason I didn't give a five star rating is beacuse the room are much more basic, plain and smaller that I would expect from such grandious place.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Clarissa,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor.

As Ottawa’s premiere hotel we offer an art-deco pool and health club, heritage gallery and special iPad tour, as such we always hope that guests will enjoy an authentically local experience.

We have had the pleasure of renovating a good portion of our inventory thus far as well as our lobby and main dining room. A second phase will be commencing in the new year.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Spent a few nights at the hotel for a conference. Hotel has awesome location and the conference facilities were great as well. My room was large, but located on the first floor, at the mezzanine roof-level, where I awoke every morning to workers standing outside my window. I would have appreciated knowing they would be working on the roof outside my window before check-in. I wasn't able to open blinds stall in order to have privacy. I asked for another room, but wasn't accommodated even though I was certain the hotel wasn't full. The hall on my floor and my room smelled pretty bad - like a deodorizer covering another smell. Wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry about the roof construction outside of your room and that you needed to keep the blinds closed.

Rest assured that the front desk does try and accommodate room changes in such instances; however the hotel was full at that time.

I hope that we can convince you to try our hotel again during a future visit to Ottawa.