“Weekend Getaway”

GreenLeadersSilver level
BVI
“Weekend Getaway”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Ottawa was a fabulous place to visit. The sun was out 74 degrees yes in late Sept and the leaves just turning. The hotel is spectacular no question, the staff are wonderfully hospitable and everything oozes grandure. However the room we were in was really tired needed updating and remodling. One thing really caught me out was that there were no curtains only roll down blinds which really did not stop the sun from shinning in and waking you up at sun rise.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights for the first time- at Chateau Laurier. Very friendly, helpful front desk staff.
The room was nice size, clean, and loved the kiereg coffee maker.
Had massage down in spa, which was great. Swam in the lovely clean salt water pool.
This is the best location for Ottawa- have stayed at various hotels in the past, but this has been the best so far.

Room Tip: Faced Sussex...nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Another fabulous stay in Ottawa. The room was spacious and nice with the fabulous Fairmont beds. The hotel is historic and incredibly grand! Location is amazing! Will definitely stay when I am back in Ottawa.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your views of the hotel on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

This was our first time staying at this historic hotel in the centre of commerce and tourist sites in downtown Ottawa while visiting our new granddaughter. Steps from the Parliament building, conference centre, restaurants, stores, lush river valley, the canal and hop on tourist buses you are close to everything. The streets are full of people enjoying the warm fall day & colourful fall trees. The hotel is lovely, paintings and historic photos of those who have visited grace the main floor, along with a nice restaurant and comfortable lounge area that does not open until 2 p.m. (service and food items here were great).
We pre-paid our hotel and used the parking service (too expensive but not worth the trouble of parking ourselves). We checked in online with their new service, picked up our keys and went to our room. We looked into another part of the hotel and had a 1/2 view of the river. We were not there to view the sites we only were in our room for breakfast (room service very good) then off to visit family. The room was a good size, king bed, good size bathroom. Large wide hallways and crystal chandeliers dress up this grand lady. The Fairmont chain outside Quebec is being sold so it will be interesting to see who picks up this location? I would love to see the older style heavy adorned drapes and satin chairs re-fitted with modern Canadiana furnishings-Hudson bay blankets, sheets, comfortable lodge style furniture etc. There were a few slip ups with room service, housekeeping & security but all were fixed immediately-on the security issue may I suggest a card key system that only secured visitors have access to elevators to room areas. Car staff were very friendly & helpful!!. Thanks again Ottawa-you sure feel proud to see our flag flying at night lit up over the Parliament Buildings.

Room Tip: Might ask for a view of Parliament or river views
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
First, please let me congratulate you on your new grand-daughter, these are always wonderful times in one’s life. It certainly sounds as though you enjoyed your stay with us.

I would like to take a moment to clarify that Fairmont Hotels and Resorts is not for sale. Fairmont is the management company of the hotel. The sale which is taking place is being done by the owner of the building and as such Fairmont Château Laurier will continue to operate under the same Fairmont name. That said, we certainly appreciate your input as it relates to the décor element of the building.

As well, I am always pleased to read guest’s wonderful comments about our colleagues and I will be sure to share your thoughts with them.

Once again thank you for your comments and your time.

england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

We checked in on our way to the hotel as we received an email from Fairmont so our keys were ready on arrival which I thought was a great idea. On arrival I had booked the wrong room type and the youngman on reception was so helpful and sympathetic upgraded our room at no charge which was so professional of him and not a bit of a problem.
The room was beautiful clean and spacious. The lobby is very grand and beautiful. The location of the hotel is great. We arrived by greyhound bus and got a taxi which was $15. Everything you need is in the room and I honestly cannot fault a thing. A beautiful hotel with wonderful professional staff and other hotels should take note.
WiFi is free if you join their presidents club

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank michellet1406
Dear Michelle,
I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will be sure to share your warm comments with our colleagues who truly pride themselves on provide true service excellence.

You have also shared a great tip with Trip Advisor readers; Fairmont President Club is a wonderful loyalty program.

Once again thank you for your time.
Brasília, Distrito Federal, Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

It was one of the best experiences of my life. I went to Ottawa for 2 nigths with my wife. We booked a room with a realy beautiful view to the parlament building. I is realy a breath taking view. The room is very confortable, the staff is very very kind.

We had a amazing dinner at the restaurant. Very good gourmet food.

The hotel is THE touristic point of the city. It just could not be in a better place.

Room Tip: The rooms with view to the parlament building.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your delightful comments regarding the hotel on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

We just arrived at the Fairmont, and we're off to a bad start. When I went to check in at the front desk, the staffer told me my reservation was canceled. I told her that couldn't be right because I confirmed it. She insisted it was canceled, so I pulled out my receipt (which showed the room was booked and paid for more than a month earlier). She then told me she was able to reinstate the reservation and had one room available. When we got to the room, however, we discovered it was not the Parliament view I had paid for and requested. When I called the front desk back, I was told the views are not guaranteed, and I hadn't requested it. I told her I had requested it, but she insisted no request was made since it did not appear in the system. The same system that canceled my paid-for reservation. She insisted there was nothing else available, so we're stuck in this underwhelming room for now. On the bright side, it probably can only get better from here.

Room Tip: Ask for a guaranteed Parliament view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
I have just reviewed your comments and would like to apologize for your experience.

In an effort for me to investigate further, I would require to speak with you directly. If I could ask you to contact me at 613-241-1414, I would greatly appreciate it.