“Enjoyable and memorable”

Fairmont Chateau Laurier
Ranked #19 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 17, 2013

First time staying a this hotel. great location and very nice gold suite that was spacious, clean, and quiet. continental breakfast was good and the salt water pool was very nice as we had it all to ourselves. One of the best hotel experiences I have ever had.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the parliament buildings
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 63,781,264,873,624,861
Write a ReviewReviews (3,187)

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We were booked in for three nights but as there isn't a great deal to do in Ottawa only stayed two nights. On checking out early it was a little strange not to be asked why we were leaving early. Not a reflection of the hotel just wanted to see more of Canada. Staff are average and at times robotic particularly in the restaurant at breakfast, however Rob the barman is a star with a wealth of knowledge of the area giving helpful information and good conversation. Rooms are clean with the usual annoying coffee machine.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I was surprised that you felt that Ottawa did not offer enough for you to do for a three day visit. We have an outstanding group of concierges’ should you wish to come back; it would be our great pleasure to help fill your time from morning until night!

In the meantime, I will be sure to share your comments with our colleagues, our goal is always to offer personalized and warm service, I am sorry you did not experience this in Wilfrid’s, on the other hand, I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our wonderful barman Rob.

Once again that you for your post.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

From the beginning when we pulled up to park the car the valet Gordon opened the doors and took over! We just let him unpack the car and park it after a 5 hour drive from the states. I was very impressed with all the staff for check in, advise, travel ideas. The genuine greetings and happy faces on the staff at least in my opinion were so welcome as we were new to the area! I felt right at home the first day and will definitely return .
My only negative is I booked right on the website an felt that was the best way to get the best rate and No hassles . As I further researched accommodations, a lot of hotels were offering a buy two nights get the 3 rd free for stays in Canadian hotels as a tourism promotion . On the tourism .ca website this property is participating in this promo . However you have to book thru that website. I feel like I missed out on a very special deal because I chose to be brand conscious and book thru your website. I did call and speak to a reservations specialist and they could do nothing! Just a thought Mariott and other hotels are offering promotions on there websites as "get the very best rate " so people are not booking on 3 rd party sites. Next time I will definitely shop around for a better rate as we would have definitely stayed an extra night and gladly eaten at La Terrasse again. But overall this hotel is worth the money!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We attended a wedding at the Chateau Laurier on Aug. 10th, 2013. Most of the wedding party and
Many guests were also staying at the hotel. My daughter stayed for two nights and was more than satisfied with the service, the clean rooms and the ballroom where the wedding reception took place. The location is perfect, with the Rideau Centre just across the street and a few minute walk to the By-ward market. Of the over 220 guests at the wedding, not once did I hear any complaints about the hotel. It is absolutely beautiful. The food was great and everyone who attended and stayed at the Chateau would not hesitate to return. We have another wedding next July and we are already planning to reserve at the Chateau Laurier.

Room Tip: Ask questions then decide.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear Lise,

I am pleased to hear such wonderful reviews from you. A wedding is a special occasion and we are always so happy to hear the stories of memories that are made within our castle walls.

We will look forward to welcoming you again next year.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We have stayed many times at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier, and we are always impressed. Old-world charm and ambience combined with excellent service is why we continue to stay at this hotel. Cozy beds, wonderful room service and a great staff on hand to handle any needs. We return each year to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and the management always sends little chocolates and a bottle of water. The pool and gym area are outstanding. We live in Ottawa, and could choose from many hotels, but we continue to choose this one. It's a weekend getaway in our own city.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the canal or park for wonderful views.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LaraCK

Dear Lara,

Staycations are becoming more and more popular and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time here, in Ottawa’s Castle.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

The Chateau Laurier is a romantic older hotel, lot of history.
Room rate is 177.00 a night for 2 Queen beds. Have stayed here before and they have some very romantic rooms, very castle like.
They offer valet or self park which is convenient. Have found service levels very high. I am member of Fairmont Club so rates are good. There are other hotels nearby which are newer and attract some but I think for location, history, romance the ideal spot, this is it, most bang for the buck. By ward market is nearby, so can have breakfast or dinner at the market and choice is huge. Don't have a big desire to eat at the hotel, but that is me. Want to try different things on the food side. Maybe 8 or top 10 things in Ottawa are within a short walking distance from this building. Pool is ART DECO and is quite and experience.
Located right beside Rideau canal and Parliament buildings. Would not want to stay at modern nearby hotel which this offers so much and location, I don't think you can beat it.
Turret rooms are great for couples.
Rooms are a bit smaller, but only slightly and in return, the benefits outweigh this by a long score. Fun place to be.

Dear Graeme,

Thank you so much for your kind words. It is always a pleasure to read such nice reviews and pass them along to our team.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I'm FPC Platinum, and used my FREE night + Suite upgrade to stay here
Got room 604, almost Corner Suite facing Parliament Hill (Northwest corner), but a very LONG LONG walk from the Elevator

Pros
+ I can't really much complain at all for a free night :D
+ Location Location Location = close to everything, perfect for Rideau Canal, 10am change of guard, or 9:30pm MosAika or getting Tour tickets. It felt further from my room to Elevator than hotel lobby to the Parliament
+ Suite 604 is huge with living room, french door away from master room. 1 large bathroom, big walk-in closet
+ I agree the room decor is antique, but for 1 night I am fine with it, and I get some laughs looking at the old telephones, vases, etc... We did have 2 large LCD TV's
+ FPC Plat welcome kit is Maple butter, cookie, chocolate
+ Free wi-fi
+ I enjoyed 2 meals at Zoe's and Wilfrid's (used $125 of dining certificates free, woo hoo) and Wilfrid's is better quality (not filling though)
+ As FPC Plat, I received 5pm late check-out (and parking till 5pm), very useful before leaving on a long road trip back to Toronto

Cons
- Parking is $$ at $26+tax/day self-parking (24 hours)
- onsite restaurants are still $$
- Room needs more power outlets. I had the same issue at Royal York in Toronto. The hotel/room is old = lack of outlets = use of extension cords = not enough outlets for me

Overall
I appreciated the experience of staying at Fairmont antique hotels thus far (Lake Louise, Royal York, Chateau Laurier) vs. Modern Fairmont (Fairmont YVR, Chicago in Suites), it's a life-long memory you don't get from other hotels

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family