“Canada Day in the Capital”

Fairmont Chateau Laurier
Ranked #21 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We spent 2 nights at the Chateau Laurier over the Canada Day long week-end. We were apart of a large group with a total of 6 rooms. We were booked into the suites on the 4th floor. It was very nice have our own check in on the 4th floor and not with the lines of people in the lobbly. Our room was beautiful and spacious. Just what you would expect of a grand old hotel. Some of the perks of staying in a suite was the wonderful breakfast, coffe and tea served all day, canapes from 5 -7PM and evening sweets. We had some Canada Day fun but when the crowds became too much we could retreat to our oasis and watch the celebrations from the windows. We were also able to watch the fireworks from the terrace reserved for hotel quests only.
I would love to go back again, but maybe not for Canada Day.

Room Tip: Room 482 is spacious and set back from the main hall a bit which eliminated all noise from the hall...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Chateau Laurier

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights as a result of bidding on a package at a charity auction. Although the lobby area is beautiful, the rooms are very dated. Ours was supposed to be a Fairmont View King room, with a view of Parliament. While there was a view of Parliament, the window was tiny, I have had porthole windows in cruise ship rooms that were larger than this one. The only window was in the corner of the room and inaccessible unless we moved the furniture to look out. The bed could not have been a King, we have a king size at home and this one was much smaller. In addition to not being a king size bed as advertised, the bed was extremely uncomfortable, really hard and saggy in the middle. Neither my husband nor I slept much at all. The room just felt old and shabby. The toilet was a style you would expect in a fast food restaurant, an industrial style with a metal pull handle. The worst was the lack of air conditioning. There was an air conditioner and thermostat, but they appeared to be mostly for show. As the weather turned hot and humid while we were there, the room became more hot and uncomfortable. By the last night it was unbearable, so we called the front desk. The maintenance man they sent walked in and said 'this is unliveable. I'll get you a fan'. No offer to change rooms. He brought a fan, which when set on high and placed to directly blow on our faces made the room liveable, but not comfortable. The front desk never called back up to see if the problem was resolved. As it was late and we were leaving the next morning we decided to live with it. When we checked out there was a charge for breakfast that wasn't ours (they did take it off). We also told them we were really unhappy with the room, and the desk clerk offered to have the manager contact us, which I said I would appreciate. It has been more than a week, and no one has contacted us.

I gather not all rooms in the same class at the Laurier are equal, both the maintenance man and another guest said many of the Fairmont View King rooms had more than one window and 2 air conditioners. When we originally tried to book the room for a different weekend the auction company told us the hotel was not available, although when I checked on the hotel's website it said that class of room was available. Thus I believe that this horrible little room is the only one they use in auction packages. I guess paying thousands of dollars to charity does not entitle one to a liveable room at the Laurier. Anyways, if you book here, ask not to have room 610.

On the positive side, the location is excellent. It is right next to Parliament and the Canal, and just across from Sparks Street where many of the summer festivals occur. There are also several excellent restaurants within walking distance. But as there are several hotel options in this same area, we will stay elsewhere on our next trip to Ottawa.

Room Tip: Do not take room 610, it has only one tiny window and no air flow as the air conditioner is in a bad...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cynthia M
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Recently sat out on the terrace for a drink and a bite on Canada Day.
The location was wonderful and with view of the east side of Parliament was very nice, but the prices are astronomical for what you get... Let me say that the Sangria was very good, and the burger was tasty, but a $10 a glass and $24 for the burger, they should have been gold plated. Anyway, the terrace is a lovely spot, but there are other places near by at half the price...

Room Tip: Sorry, just ate on their terrace.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Slayer6
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed 2 nights on business. The hotel location is great. The building is an impressive, stately one. Check-in was efficient, although late at night, so not during peak hour. My room was small and as with the rest of the hotel, older, but satisfactorily cleaned. The free wi-fi with Preseident's Club membership is a bonus. Compared with my experience at the Westin, I prefer this hotel, although I did stay at conference rates. I would be highly likely to stay again for future visits to Ottawa.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Best location in the city. We stayed for 3 days and did the local sights and museums. Loved it. Sure its a bit dated and run down in a few spots but loved the historical feel of the place. Great lobby and sitting rooms. Beds were super comfortable. Staff were very nice.

Wouldn't eat there, too expensive, but Starbucks and Tim Hortons 3 minutes walk away for a cheap breakfast. All the restaurants in the nearby market area for dinner.

Free wifi if you join their Presidents Club, its free to join so why not and avoid paying $14 a day.

I went to university in Ottawa 30 years ago and it was fun to come back and stay at the "grand old lady" of the city.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My Wife and I stayed 3 nights and were not too impressed with the room and the $30 cleaning fee for fixing up your bed. The History of the place is nice to check out but when you learn that it was bought out by a Saudi Billionaire, it takes away some of the charm.
Our room (300) was out dated and needed some up keep. The breakfast is over priced and so so. We were much happier at the Swiss Hotel!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I've stayed at most of the Fairmont hotels of this era. They are the grand of dames of the town and the service is always consistently good. The Chateau Laurier is no different. Classic building and well maintained. The rooms are definitely not the modern chic of the boutique hotels, but they are large and comfortable. Didn't have a chance to try the gym, but I did take advantage of the running gear they offer (great benefit of the Presidents club if you are doing multi city trips).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business