“Beautiful hotel, nice stay”

Fairmont Chateau Laurier
Ranked #20 of 69 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 21, 2012

On a short trip through Ontario and Quebec I recently stayed at this beautiful property. Very helpful and friendly staff, amazing interior in the public areas, and the room as well as the little Welcome package were a lovely surprise. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,219)

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I recently stayed here on business and from the outside it was beautiful. I believe the view from my room was of Parliament, which was also a magnificent architectural building. The rooms were nice, had flat screen tv which was about a 36 or 42 inch size tv. Provided an iPhone/iPod docking radio alarm clock which also charges your device. Closet was small and hangers had to be angled to close the closet, which had to be closed in order to get into the bathroom, which was directly opposite the closet. The bathroom definitely needs to be updated. I did like the room key access since al you had to do was hold the key to the access pad on the door rather than inserting it into a slot.

My only complaint and I believe it had to due with the location of my room was that every night you could here the sounding of the town clock striking each hour. That was annoying, nothing like being awakened in the middle of the night AND having it continue every hour. Other colleagues of mine never heard the clock so make sure to ask at the front desk when checking in about getting a room away from Parliament as I believe that's where the sound was coming from.

They were very accommodating at the hotel and were kind enough to let me "tickle the ivories" at the piano in the bar one evening. I assured them I could actually play and once I sat down their fears were alleviated and a nice crowd gathered around while I played.

The food in the restaurant was outstanding. I had lunch and dinner there with a group of people and all of us walked away saying we'd eat there again, hands down.

Since I was there on business I didn't have time to enjoy the city other than walking through the mall across the street on my way to the convention center next door.

I would go back to the hotel if I'm ever in Ottawa again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room that isn't within ear shot of the clock that goes off every hour in tow...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I just spent a few days at the chateau laurier and once again it was brilliant. I always stay there when I am in Ottawa and it never gets stale. The people on the gold floor can never do enough for you and always greet you with a warm smile. I love the privacay of the lounge where I can have a drink and read with out any interuptions. I also love the fact that have limitless amounts fo caramels for my sweet tooth.
It is always a treat to swim in the pool with it's 100 year old history and seeing that not much has changed since 1912. The location is great, right by the byward market with it's great eateries and shops all within a few minutes of walking which is good because of the grid lock during rush hour in the downtown core. The gym is state of the art with alot of equipment so you never wait to workout.
I have stayed on other floors which are very nice but you gotta love the gold floor. Oh, and don't forget to ask the staff about the ghost stories, especially the one about William Hayes who died on the Titanic.
I look foreward to going back again and again.
Steve Simpson

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We spent two nights with our friends at this timeless classic hotel. The public areas are breath taking and the staff is helpful and gracious. The two rooms we stayed in however were not as "magical" as the impressive lobby. Both rooms were in desperate need of updates particularly in the bathrooms. We were happy to hear, that a major renovation of the hotel was to begin next year.
Before dinner we had drinks at the lounge and enjoyed listening to the piano music. The staff again were exceptional. Dinner at Wilfrid's was excellent, showcasing seasonal ingredients. Every dish was flawlessly plated.
We plan to return in the near future and look forward to the much needed refurbishment..

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We came to Ottawa to celebrate Remembrance Day. The hotel is visually stunning, the staff exceedingly helpful and courteous, the breakfast buffet excellent.

The treatment and commitment to the Veterans appeared heartfelt, and speaks volumes as to the commitment made to the community.

Will we stay at the Chateau Laurier again? Absolutely!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel itself is beautiful. The grand reception room is a work of art and the whole thing looks like a scene out of Titanic! But for the price, the bedroom was disappointing. The room was dark, rather dingy, nothing like the picture offered when we made the booking. The lighting was insufficient, the bathroom small again for the price we paid. We took an a la carte breakfast as we found the buffet expensive at 26 dollars. Disappointing and quantities were small. BUT, the chateau itself is historical, the situation is wonderful, right by Byward Market and the staff were amenable. We did not understand why when the hotel was nearly empty, we were put completely at the end of a long corridor overlooking the car park, but maybe these are the rooms reserved for on line discounted prices. So all in all, it needs a little sprucing up and a little more client 'warmth'

Room Tip: ask to have a room overlooking the river (although we did and didn't get one!)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for four nights attending a conference. Very glad to have gotten conference rate for the room. Would certainly not have thought it worth the posted rate. The room was average, nothing fancy. There were stains on the couch in the room. The blind was torn an the curtain valance falling off. The rest of the hotel was fabulously appointed with classic pieces of furniture. View to Confederation Square was lovely. First stay, I guess I was expecting a more exquisite stay at the castle. It seemed surprisingly ordinary.

• Stayed: November 2012