“Slow, slow, slow”

Fairmont Chateau Laurier
Ranked #21 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 9, 2008

Stayed in the -very good located- Fairmont Chateau Laurier for 8 nights both for work and leisure. At the end of this period we were so fed up with the non existing service and the non qualified staff. Incheck took 25 minutes, 20 minutes waiting time for a bell man, 15 minutes for taking an order in the bar, making a print in the business centre was a nightmare and very expensive, waiting 10 minutes for entering the gym and many other mistakes. With 429 rooms available it was not possible to book us a room with a king bed for 8 nights (and the hotel was for sure not fully booked). We had to move again and again. We felt like a joker. It's a known place in Ottawa but that is the only thing. Do not stay here if you expect any thing special (and for sure not for any business event!).

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank JAEMH
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Chateau Laurier

Reviewed March 8, 2008

Our family has just returned from a 2-night stay at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier and are already planning a return trip (when the weather is warmer, I might add). I love old, grand hotels - and the Chateau Laurier did not disappoint. The property is gorgeous, impeccably maintained, and well situated. I was most impressed with the quality of the service we received, from the hotel front desk down to the staff at the fitness center. They are obviously well trained and take pride in their work. The service was as exemplary as any hotel I have ever stayed in! Be sure to take advantage of the amazing brunch if you are there on Sunday morning - it is not to be missed. One caution, the $35/night valet parking fee caught us a bit by surprise on check-out, but did not diminish the wonderful time we had.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2008

We have been to Ottawa many times and stayed at Les Suites, the Sheraton and the Westin, but decided to give the Chateau Laurier a try because we also like the charm of old hotels. Furthermore, we've stayed at other Fairmont hotels in Montreal and Toronto and absolutely loved them. So how bad could the Chateau Laurier be, right??

We booked a one-night stay in a "King" room on the 5th floor, with a spectacular view of the Rideau Canal and Parliament Buildings. The valet parking and check-in were handled very well, but that's where the compliments must stop.

The room's carpet was dirty. The wall paper in the bathroom had hair stuck to the corners. There was a large rust spot around the bathroom tissue holder. The mirrors were smeared. The collars of the bathrobes were torn and frayed. The furniture (particularly the desk) was very damaged. The courtesy magazines were dog-eared and one actually had a waterglass stain on the cover.

Next morning upon check-out, we asked the consierge for assistance with our luggage. He wrote down our room number, got a luggage rack and followed us to the elevators, but said that he would catch the next elevator and meet us at our room. He never arrived. We later saw him assisting someone else at the entrance when we were getting into our car.

We were extremely disappointed to discover that the Chateau Laurier simply doesn't measure up to the quality and standards we've seen in other Fairmont hotels.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank Amluckytoo
Reviewed February 20, 2008

The architecture and history of this hotel is the most enjoyable part about it. Although the rooms are nice, with very high ceilings and beautiful old windows, the rest of the room is nothing special. There are no plastic bags lining the garbage can, which is the indicator I use for the level of cleanliness in any hotel. Very unsanitary, especially in this day and age. There are pillow shams matching the bedspread , which are NOT washed after each guest, (they actually smelled funny), but are nevertheless are place on the bed right on top of the other newly laundered pillowcases, and where numerous people have probably placed there head. Get rid of them, completely, and leave only the nice fresh white cases!! There were also dirt smears of the wooden headboard, obviously not wiped properly after each guest. I would expect better from a hotel in this price range, and have stayed in far superior hotels. I was not impressed, and had expected much nicer.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 14, 2008

My sister in law and I have just returned from 5 days in Ottawa. We stayed at this hotel and could not fault it. We were lucky enough to be given a newly renovated room on the 5th floor which had lovely views of parliament. The hotel staff were extremely polite and helpful and even booked our seats online for us for our return flight to England. The hotel is magnificently furnished and is spotless. We had a huge room, bathrobes, flat screen tv and cd player, quality complimentary toiletries and tea and coffee making. We used the pool which was built in 1929 and is art deco in design and also the sauna which were free of charge. We also ate at Zoes one night when it was too cold
(-18) to venture out. The meal was well presented and very reasonable. We usually ate breakfast at Cora's down Rideau Street for about £5. This consisted of porridge, unlimited coffee, toast and a huge bowl of fresh fruit. We also found the Highlander pub to be very good and reasonable. We visited Parliament, Museum of Civilisation and spent a day at the various Winterlude sites. We also had lots of retail therapy! We will definitely return to Ottawa and the Chateau Laurier.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 1, 2008

I visited Ottawa in January as part of a business meeting. I usually tend to stay at the Lord Elgin, because the Château Laurier is too expensive for my budget. They offer great rates for businesses though, so this might be good to know if this is your case.

I spent 2 nights there and most of the days, we had conferences in the rooms on the first floor. The catering was really good and we had endless supplies of water and coffee.

My room was large: I had 2 queen beds and a nice flat screen tv. The view wasn't thrilling (next-door offices), but who spends their whole evening looking out the window? The bath was really huge, and I found the ironing board and iron really convenient. I had a small desk to put my computer on and an area with a table, chairs and magazines. My room was top notch: clean, recent, with a great décor.

I highly suggest that you sign up to be a member of Fairmont's rewards program (President's Club). It costs nothing and gets you nice perks like free Internet. Also, they delivered free water bottles to my room every night, and left notes on my bed about the next day's weather forecast. Most of all, I was really surprised to open my door on the first night and get a wrapped plate full of sweets and chocolate! Wow! I really didn't expect it! A copy of the Globe and Mail is also delivered on your doorstep every morning.

The location is ideal: Byward market and Rideau mall are easily accessible and the Parliament is next door.

I did not use parking, but my colleagues did, and be prepared to pay about 24$ for it. People at the front desk are really helpful, and kept our bags while we went shopping in Byward market.

My opinion about this hotel is: you get what you pay for. If you are willing to pay the price to stay at this hotel, you will not be deceived!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank naivete
Reviewed January 10, 2008

I cannot complain about such a nice hotel, sleeping in a castle is an experience. It's just that the rooms look old and that make you have the sensation that furniture is old, and I'm more used to modern decoration.

Service is totally friendly, lobby is remarkable

• Stayed: January 2008