We stayed at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier for one night for a last mintue family event that came up.
Each time we come to Ottawa, we usually stay at this property. The location really can't be beat as it overlooks the locks where the Rideau canal meets the Ottawa river, it's right next to Parliament Hill, and is a short walk down the hill to Byward Market.
Mine was a last-minute booking for a Saturday night in the summer, yet they were able to accomodate me with an upgraded room on short notice.
As with most of our stays here, we found the room to be very comfortable, yet in need of some updating. In particular, I always find the bathrooms to be looking a little worn. On this stay, we also found the layout to be a rather odd use of space. It was obvious that our 'deluxe room' had been converted from two smaller rooms. There was only one entry door, but there was a second hallway on the far end of the room that lead to a second small closet and a small bathroom where the old entry door presumably used to be. It makes me wonder that if they're going to the expense to remove a wall and a doorway to combining two rooms into one, why not remove the second bathroom and reclaim the space occupied by it into something more useful? An expanded sitting area would provide far more utility and a nice sence of open space than an old cramped bathroom that wasn't needed.
My only complaint has to do with service, and it's something I also find at a few other Fairmont properties, but is always a problem at the Chateau Laurier. As a platinum member in the Fairmont Presidents Club, I stay at many of their locations each year. At each property, they have a priority check-in line for FPC guests, yet they seem to have difficulty serving the guests waiting there first, which seems an odd way to treat your most loyal customers. I think I'm going to try a different property the next time I'm in town to see if the service is better elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Reflecting the confidence, dignity and style of Ottawa, Fairmont Chateau Laurier stands as a testament to this dynamic, thriving city. Located in the heart of Canada's capital next door to the Parliament Buildings, the landmark Fairmont Chateau Laurier hotel in Ottawa is a magnificent limestone edifice with turrets and masonry reminiscent of a French chateau. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Fairmont Hotels, TravelUp, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Priceline, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fairmont Chateau Laurier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Chateau Laurier Hotel Ottawa
- Fairmont Hotel Ottawa
- Fairmont Hotel Chateau Laurier
- Fairmont Ottawa
- Ottawa Fairmont