“Charming property, Great location”

Fairmont Chateau Laurier
Ranked #17 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Newmarket, Canada
“Charming property, Great location”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier for one night for a last mintue family event that came up.

Each time we come to Ottawa, we usually stay at this property. The location really can't be beat as it overlooks the locks where the Rideau canal meets the Ottawa river, it's right next to Parliament Hill, and is a short walk down the hill to Byward Market.

Mine was a last-minute booking for a Saturday night in the summer, yet they were able to accomodate me with an upgraded room on short notice.

As with most of our stays here, we found the room to be very comfortable, yet in need of some updating. In particular, I always find the bathrooms to be looking a little worn. On this stay, we also found the layout to be a rather odd use of space. It was obvious that our 'deluxe room' had been converted from two smaller rooms. There was only one entry door, but there was a second hallway on the far end of the room that lead to a second small closet and a small bathroom where the old entry door presumably used to be. It makes me wonder that if they're going to the expense to remove a wall and a doorway to combining two rooms into one, why not remove the second bathroom and reclaim the space occupied by it into something more useful? An expanded sitting area would provide far more utility and a nice sence of open space than an old cramped bathroom that wasn't needed.

My only complaint has to do with service, and it's something I also find at a few other Fairmont properties, but is always a problem at the Chateau Laurier. As a platinum member in the Fairmont Presidents Club, I stay at many of their locations each year. At each property, they have a priority check-in line for FPC guests, yet they seem to have difficulty serving the guests waiting there first, which seems an odd way to treat your most loyal customers. I think I'm going to try a different property the next time I'm in town to see if the service is better elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

The Fairmont Chateau Larier is the place to stay in Ottawa. A chateau/castle style architecture, and everything (the outside, entrace hall and lobby) oozes the grandeur of the majectic old railroad hotels. The hotel is located right next to parliament hill, a ferry-ride away from the museum of civilization and next to a lock system of the historic Rideau canal. We felt very welcome upon arrival, with valet parking and efficient and friendly check-in. We loved the breakfast buffet, especially the chef whose happy enthusiasm to explain the various dishes to us and to prepare our eggs was a bright start of each morning. The swimming pool is beautiful, and having it all to ourselves first thing in the morning gave a great sense of luxury. The serving staff in the restaurant ( breakfast and dinner) seemed a bit uncoordinated, and we sometimes had multiple waiters taking our orders.

So why not top marks? In comparison, we were somewhat disappointed by our room (double double standard room for a family of four, 6th floor), which lacked personality compared to the rest of the property and could have been any other business hotel. We had a tiny window, with indeed a view of parliament hill, but with hindsight we would have preferred Ny other room wiyh a larger window. Also, we had a little surprise when we were told that the breakfast package we had booked with the room only covered the two adults ( this had not been mentioned on the website while booking) and there would be an additional charge. After a little discussion, the fee was waived, but it felt embarrasing anyway.

All in all, absolutely the must- stay location in Ottawa in general terms, as long a you do not expect to stay in your room too much.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Seattle
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We loved our 3-day stay at this beautiful, historic hotel. It seemed to be within walkig distance of almost everything. It abutts the Rideau Canal, is just a block from Parliament, and a couple of blocks from the Market. A water taxi nearby takes you to the fabulous Museum of Civilization and the Quebec side of the river. The elaborate Changing of the Guard ceremony passes in front of the hotel every day, and the spectacular Sound and Light Show on the Parliament buildings in summer should not be missed. We had a fabulous dinner at the hotel restaurant, and the bar is charming. We look forward to staying here the next time we're in Ottawa.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I've stayed at this property a few times but I always forget to take photos!

If you want elegant, historic, and central then this hotel is for you! It was built in 2012 and has links to the Titanic. It's a large hotel that recently underwent soft renovations.

I just has the regular Fairmont Room for my mom and I but it was just fine! The two double beds were comfortable and the room /washroom was spotless!

I've also stayed in the Renovated Fairmont Gold King Room which is my favorite. Large, clean, and with two bathrooms! The view in that room is always of Parliament or the Ottawa River so very lovely!

Fairmont staff are always great and helpful.

This is by far my favorite Ottawa hotel :)

Let me know if you have any questions!

Room Tip: Gold Room always - and the renovated ones too
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My friends and I spent three nights in Ottawa with Chateau Laurier as our base for our active itinerary. We had a wonderful vacation. The location of the hotel was perfect for strolling the city, finding restaurants and cafes nearby. We rented bikes to explore Ottawa. Hiked in Gatineau National Park, and used the spa at Le Nordic.

We toured the hotel, rich in history, we used the pool regularly which was divine. Our rooms were very comfortable and we left feeling relaxed and rejuvenated.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Ottawa
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My wife and spent one night at the Chateau Laurier after attending a wedding elsewhere in Ottawa. We had a wonderful experience, and most of my praise and concern is in line with other comments recently posted on Tripadvisor.

Having read many of the reviews before booking our room, we expected the hotel to show its age somewhat, and we also expected a quality of service and amenities in line with the price range. The hotel met all of our expectations.

Firstly, we asked in advance for an early check-in so that we could relax and change before the wedding. As members of their "president's club" (free loyalty program), we were able to skip the check-in line and use a dedicated cue. Check-in was fast, efficient, and the desk staff were very personable and professional. They were able to get us into a room by 12:00pm.

Our room was on the 6th floor, with a partially sloping ceiling. Our window was very small and tucked into the corner of the room, but we did have a nice view of the east block, and a view of the Peace Tower if you leaned over the window-sill.

The room was small but very well appointed.

Pros: The room was comfortable, the bed was FANTASTIC, the closet was downright luxurious and the bathroom was very clean. The console was well stocked with glasses, napkins, etc.

Cons: Some of the furnishings were showing their age, and the video-concierge has not made the transition to HDTV gracefully. I know its a small thing but I don't know who would want to pay to rent a movie and watch it in the wrong aspect ratio. A less trivial concern was the AC: When we arrived at the room, the thermostat was set to 16 degrees C, and the actual temp was 25 degrees C. During our stay, the thermostat remained set at 16 degrees, the temp in the room never dropped below 24. For us it was a non-issue, but I could certainly see it being a concern to someone who expects a blast of cold air after a warm day touring Ottawa. In the bathroom, soaps and shampoos had a very strong scent. This may not be a con for you, but I tend to prefer milder scented products.

We took a quick swim in the pool. It was indeed very beautiful, and wonderfully deep. I found it a little strange that we had to sign in even after using our room key to get into the fitness area. Perhaps it was just our bad luck, but the entire time we were there, guests (or possibly health club members?? I'm not sure if they have access to the pool) were using the pool to swim laps. When guests are swimming laps, there is really only enough room for 5 or 6 people without getting in the way, and our experience was not very relaxing at all. We mostly clung to the side and tried not to get plowed over by swimmers doing power-laps. It is not a complaint, per say, because I'm not sure what the hotel could do about it, but next time we stay I will ask the fitness center staff if there is a recommended quieter time to use the pool and I suggest that you do the same if you are just looking to take a dip and cool off.

The public areas of the hotel are definitely its strong suit, and we had a good time exploring some of the hallways and looking at the photos and displays they have out. One glaring exception is the parking garage. My wife and I opted to self-park instead of use the valet because we knew we would not be using the car and did not see the need to pay for the service. The carpeted hallway to the garage entrance from the hotel had a strong smell, and the garage itself seems to need some work. The garage elevator was in rough shape and there were pools of standing water at the elevator landings on a few levels. Incidentally, the view from the top of the parking garage is pretty great.

The staff were consistently wonderful: All of the staff that we passed in the halls greeted us politely, check in and check out was a breeze, and they seemed to genuinely take an interest in our experience at the hotel. Room service was prompt (even a midnight request for apple-pie and ice cream) and and pleasant.

We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Our King room was very small, and a room with two doubles would HAVE to be larger. The 6th floor ro...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Fairmont Château Laurier and you may be pleased to know that we are actively discussing renovation plans with our owners and look forward to future improvements. I hope that we will have the great pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Claude J. Sauvé
jjlalumi
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I have just completed my stay at this property, and the Fairmont family continues to impress. The location of this stunning hotel is perfectly situated in downtown Ottawa, within walking distance from Byward Market and many other attractions and eateries. It is well kept, clean, and the staff, as always, are helpful and attentive. Sadly the Gold rooms/floors were closed due to some refurbishments, during my stay (I usually reserve Fairmont Gold) but even given the closure my suite was second-to-none and the service and attention that I received were topnotch.

When I arrived at the hotel I was checked in, and in my room within minutes, and the hotel staff did all they could to make my business trip as comfort as possible. This is my fourth stay at a Fairmont property and for the fourth time I was beyond impressed with the service and the attention to detail.

Excellent stay for the value.
Thanks again Fairmont!

Room Tip: When choosing a room, be sure to keep a distance from the elevators, stairwells, and vending areas.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Fairmont Château Laurier and I hope that we will have the great pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Claude J. Sauvé