“Highly recommended!”

Ranked #29 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Philadelphia, PA
“Highly recommended!”
Reviewed September 28, 2010

This hotel is a true find and I would highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Ottawa. Our suite was moderately priced, comfortable, quiet, and close to all the great sightseeing spots. We had a full kitchen which allowed us to save some money by gracery shopping and cooking in one night. We also had a balcony and very comfortable beds. My kids thought this hotel was the best we stayed in on our trip - we were in 5 different hotels in one week! The staff was wonderful, friendly, and always had a smile.
I would definiely return to the Cartier Place Suite Hotel in the future!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Binghamton NY
Reviewed September 8, 2010

I chose the Cartier Place because it is pet friendly, the location, and the reviews by other tripadvisor travellers. The reviews were correct. The good. The hotel is very nice for people travelling with pets. There is no "pet" area on the premises to walk your pet to relieve itself but we were able to find adequate grassy areas on the streets that worked well. Even though this is a high rise hotel in the middle of a city even our pets used to a country setting did very well. The pet fee per stay is 85.00. Parking is very very tight. We had to park in the outside oversized lot. There are 12 spots and they are tight even outside. The bumper of our car was scraped. However, the next time we go there is a public lot on Cartier Street directly across from the hotel that looks like a very nice safe lot. You can park for 10.00 a day versus 18.00 charged by the hotel. The hotel was very very clean. Others speak of the dated decor and yes I suppose it is, perhaps circa mid 80's with light oak furniture and blue and mauve decor but it is absolutely acceptable. No not what is in our home, but for a few days or even a few months I would have NO problem. The wonderful sized space and convenience of having the kitchen makes up for slightly dated decor. Nice balcony for morning coffee. The hotel is super super quiet. Although others were on our floor we felt like we had the entire floor to ourselves. You could not hear a pin drop at anytime. The housekeeping staff were super friendly. The location is excellent. It takes about 20 minutes to walk to the Byward Market and about 15 to Parliment Hill. It is slightly uphill walk if that would bother you. There is a restaurant on the corner called the Mayflower. Check it out. Meals were excellent, service was quick and price was typical Ottawa. $53.00 for dinner. Now for the bad: The daytime staff were very nice and actually congenial. The afternoon to evening shift do not even pick up their heads when you enter the main lobby. 2 people on the desk and neither one spoke or looked up. We discovered that the elevator located in the hallway off the lobby was broken down and that service had been called. We were told that by the maintenance man standing by the elevator. The front desk staff, knowing the elevator was broken down did not even bother to pick up their heads to mention to us that the elevator was broken down and to use the elevator in the lobby. We had to walk down the hall, meet the maintenance man and turn around and walk back to the lobby (not that far but it is the principal), as I passed by I said "do these elevators work?" oh yes was the answer. Not good. However the daytime staff upon checkout and hearing the story gave us 2 nights of complimentary parking which was a very nice gesture. There is no need for 2 people stationed at the desk til 11:00 p.m.if they cannot even offer a simple notation that the elevators are down. But other than that a good place for family. There is a pool and a spa, the pool is rather small but very adequate. For children there is an unusual playground area that is immaculate, you don't normally see such an area for children at hotels. There is a shuffle board court and a nice outdoor patio section. It is an oasis behind the hotel. The beds are comfortable but they are not the super plush with a million pillows that you might expect at a Hilton or Marriott but were very comfortable. If your looking for a good location, a super clean hotel that has everything you would want albeit perhaps not the most up to the moment decor then do not hesitate to stay at the Cartier, you will not be sorry. Its a good place.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suitcaseannie
Woodstock, Canada
Reviewed August 18, 2010

On arrival at the hotel we were greeted with friendly and prompt service. Keys in hand, off to our rooms. Stayed in an executive suite. It was like moving into a new apartment! Although they could use a little updating , rooms were very clean and stocked with kitchen ammenties... Just needed a few groceries which we could get a few blocks away. Off to see the sight sonce settled, the Rideau Canal was a five minute walk from the hotel and Parliament Hill, Sparks street pedestrian mall and Hop On Hop Off bus just 20 minutes straight up Elgin Street. Good selection of restaurants close by too.Could the location be anymore convenient!
Although we didn't use the facilities, the pool and fitness area were available and were being used when we were looking about. Parking is an added cost which if aware you can budget for . its underground and card entry protected. Overall, good value for your money and most convenient. Great for families and couples/singles alike.Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank tripper262783
Hod Hasharon
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Cartier Place is a very nice, clean and excellently located suite hotel. A hidden gem for Ottawa visitors/tourists. The suites are large, roomy and well appointed. the hotel is within walking distance from town center and all attractions. It is tucked up in a quiet street, with lots of restaurants within minutes on foot. Parking is not for free, but is underground and convenient. Staff were very firendly and informative. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Sarnia
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I have had the pleasure of staying at this hotel a few times now, and each time, I have found the staff to be pleasant, professional and accomodating. The location of this hotel is perfect for just leaving your car parked in the underground parking of the hotel and being able to walk in downtown Ottawa. I love the fact, that I can visit the market, go to the Parliament buildings, museums, shopping without having to drive.
The fact that the rooms come as suites is perfect to kick back, have a meal in my room without having to always eat in restaurants. Don't get me wrong I love the restaurants around that area, but I do a lot of traveling and sometimes relaxing with a bottle of wine, and a meal in my room is a real treat. If you are someone that likes a place to stay that is like staying in an apartment with lots of space to move around, as well as a great location, I would recommend this hotel. 5/5 for me!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 22, 2010

My expectations were too much since this is the first time that i have booked in this hotel and having read the reviews in this site i booked a 2 bedroom suite thru expedia for a short personal trip with my spouse and a couple of friends. I called in 2 days before the trip to reconfirm our reservations and we were told that we will be given the suite that we requested. and there were no issues if we try to check in early. When we arrived at the hotel, we were told that the suite was being cleaned and tidied for our arrival and it will be ready in a couple of hours. we were given a business card so that we can call beforehand. i called around 4pm to check only to be informed that we will not be given the suite that we booked due to some maintenance issues. instead we were given 2 separate bedrooms 3 rooms apart. i was a little bit frustrated since we have some stuff in between us that we brought along since we are attending a class reunion. The rooms were average, but it could use some minor refurbishment, the AC was quite noisy in our bedroom. The only toiletries that were provided were 2 personal size bars of soap. No shampoo and toothpaste. in Our friend's room the door knob of the bathroom was a little bit loose and doesn't work well. though these are minor details, but i think being in the hospitality business it needs to be attended to. over all our stay was average. I would recommend this hotel if you are on a short trip and working on a budget.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Waterdown, Ont.
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We just came back from the Cartier Place yesterday. The girl at the front desk was really nice and let us check in early on Saturday. The Rideau Centre and Open Market were about a 20 minute walk away, and so was the walk to a friend's house we were spending time with. Mind you, I knew that when I booked. The stay in general wasn't bad except for two things. Whenever we entered our room, we were overwhelmed with the distinct stench of cigarette smoke, as if the last guests had been smoking right in the room and the odour had worked its way into the furniture. And the piece de resistance was upon getting up to take my shower yesterday morning, I moved my toothpaste and to my surprise, what scurried from under it? A cockroach about an inch long. Not a beetle, not a rolly-bug, definitely a cockroach. So I squashed it with a Kleenex and flushed it away.
When we told reception upon check-out. There was no shock or apology. Just a 'thanks for telling me', with no real sense of urgency.
Oh yes, and my wife went to use the kettle to make tea, and the handle came right off of it.
Would I stay there again? There are plenty more hotels in the location that I could try, before I commit to that one. Probably not. But the place was okay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple