Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa
Lord Elgin(Ottawa)
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
  • Pool
All reviewsliving roomcooper stwalking distancefull kitchenquiet streetbooked this hotelrideau canalone bedroom apartmentcoffee makerflat screenlocation is excellentsized bedbyward marketelgindowntownstoveparliament
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 25, 2010

My husband and I booked a hotel through Hotwire.ca for a saturday evening away from the children. Well we ended up getting Extended Stay in Ottawa. Upon reading the reviews here I was kind of afraid of going since people said that it smelled bad, it was dirty and the staff ignored you....well I feel compelled to write to tell you that NONE OF THAT WAS TRUE for us!!!!

Upon entering there was a man sitting behind the desk waiting for people to come in. He was kind curtious and made sure that our room was smoke-free and with a balcony. By the way we checked-in in the evening, so it was the evening staff (someone earlier said that the evening staff was not very good, I disagree). Also, we called down at one point and the phone was answered after only a few rings (2 or 3).

Upon entering our room, I expected to see "vermon" as one person put it, a dirty room and I expected bad smells. Well that was not the case. The room was definately clean, it smelled fine and there were no "vermon", in fact I don't know why that person said they suspected there was!!! The whole "they clean every 3 days or twice a week thing" is true...if your staying for a long period of time!!!! Come on people, do you change your sheets/linen every single day! When speaking to some of my friends who clean hotels as a job they told me that every 3 days for someone who is staying for an "extended stay" is standard practice for the business, so get over it!

At one point we wanted to go to the hot tub. Unfortunately it was broken. I was kind of annoyed at this since we had asked where it was (it was in the basement) and the person never mentioned that it was broken.

Overall our trip was good, the service was good, the room and the hotel was clean, the parking was a bit annoying (since the hotel parking was full, we had to find elsewhere to park, but downtown has many places to park) but we have no complaints.

Oh please note that there is a pretty decent gym but no pool though, internet costs $4.99 per evening and that hotwire.ca puts this hotel as a 3 star.

Hope you have a good time there too, but maybe ask for a room with a balcony....that way if it does smell, you can have some fresh air :)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2010

The hotel is centrally located accross from Ottawa City Hall. If you're staying 3 nights or less you don't get daily maid service but but that didn't bother me. The front desk staff are very accomodating and there's good italian food in the restaurant at reasonable prices. There wa a fixed $5 charge for 3 nights of high speed interet access. Overall nothing fancy but it's clean and well run. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2010

Maybe it's because they only clean once a week. Or because people who stay there cook and smoke in their rooms, so it's more like an apartment or boarding house. But this place smelled worse than most apartment buildings in icky parts of Toronto. Ew ew ew. Nasal burn from the stinkiness, like unwashed old men. I was worried the smell would follow me to my business meetings. Gah, it was so gross.

Mind you, the room APPEARED to be clean, except for the dodgey stain on the solid-colour sofa cushion that they didn't bother to rotate out. But the smell was inescapable.

I booked sight-unseen through hotwire.com because they promised a 3 star hotel comparable to Holiday Inn, DoubleTree and Radisson ... never again. VERY misleading. And never Extended Stay again.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank MamaLama
Reviewed February 14, 2010

Advertised as a three and a half star, this place merits a 2 at best. Great location marred by ugly rooms, dirty hallways, bad service and questionable clientele. Dirt behind the toilet. Uncomfortable single beds (two of them) in the bedroom even though we had requested a King and the suspicion (never confirmed) that the place was filled with vermin. Never again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CanadianTraveller30
Reviewed January 28, 2010

We stayed on August 23-24, 2009 for our honeymoon. We are booked for Penthouse; one nice king size bed with a very comfortable couch.

Check in: Very quick and accomodating

Room: Nice and Clean, good smell
Sink & Bathroom : Spacious

Coffee: yes, it has coffee make with complimentary coffee.
Fridge: yes, nice to store your champagne
Dishes : yes, dishes are handy, we tend eat while watching a movie
Useful: It has its own iron, and ironing board.
Closet: nice and lots of hangers

TV: decent size, with a DVD Player
Internet: there was access port, but never use it

Resto: An Italian Restaurant in the hotel, decent price, good food.
Breakfast : Dunns on Elgin, Mc Donalds are close by

Breakfast: BUFFET: No, they don't have buffet breakfast.
Lunch & Dinner: If you like to relax, room service from the in house resto.
I prefer walking to the market. We had brunch at Tuckers Market Place, good selection of fruits, veggies, desserts. Price was like $14 plus tax.

Location: 5 minutes away from The Market, where you have all the choices for dining experience.
Parliament Hill: Just walk 5-10 minutes up at the corner of Copper, and Elgin
best for sight seeing and shopping at Rideau Center. Oh, there is also a decent food court at Rideau Center
Room Service: Very quick, and polite

Transportation: bus by OC transpo, $3.00 valid for 1 and 1/2 hours or ask for taxi at the front desk.
Walking Distance: Rideau Canal, Parliament Hill, NAC

There is parking, though we did not need it. We use public transit

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple