“very nice hotel”

Ranked #41 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
London, Ontario, Canada
“very nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014

My son and I stayed in this hotel for one night. It was a very nice place to stay. The room was on the East side on the 6th floor and it was completely renovated and very clean. The location was perfect. The only complaint I would have would be the free continental breakfast was not the best, but it was free so it was fine. I would recommend this to anyone and I would go back there.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I truly appreciate your comments regarding your clean, renovated room. Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. The staff and I would love to provide you with another comfortable stay in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Grimsby, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

Unfortunately hotel was not up to standards based on star rating. Unacceptable noise through the hall door, kept us from sleeping, and woke us early. Under construction, and even the back entrance from parking lot had a broken tile hanging from the step, which was a trip hazzard. Breakfast was nutrigrain bars and coffee, but we missed it at 9:32. Sink had no stopper control, so you had to pick the chrome stopper out of the basin. Great location for city hall festival, but thats about all we can say about it.

Room Tip: Good Luck!!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank SJohnson55
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I am so disappointed noise from adjacent suites kept you up. Please accept my apology. I will be coaching my staff on how to better handle noise disturbances from guests to prevent your experience from happening in the future. As well, I do apologize for the trip hazard on the stairs. I will have my maintenance staff see to this issue immediately to prevent danger to guests. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at otw@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay America location in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Ottawa hotels

Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

We stayed here for girl's night out and it was perfect! We had 6 girls altogether and it served it's purpose. The room we stayed in had two double beds and a pull out couch. The beds were very comfortable, but the pull out couch was very uncomfortable. The room was clean, modern and had a great little balcony.

The room had a little kitchenette and some dishes which came in very handy. We liked that there was an extra little mirror and make-up station right outside the bathroom which suited our needs.

We were able to walk down to the Byward Market for dinner (about 15 min walk) and walk to Elgin street for some dancing (5 min walk). There are a ton of restaurants on Elgin as well for dinner and Breakfast.

When we booked, I had requested a quiet room for 6 people. We did get a quiet room, but we needed to ask for extra towels (they only gave us 2 in the room) and had to get the sheets and pillows for the pull-out couch bed. They did bring them up, but it would have been nice if they were already there since our booking was for 6 people.

There is a small continental breakfast until 9:30 - coffee, fruit, granola bars & oatmeal. Perfect to tie us over until we went out for brunch.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the construction - we didn't hear it at all. It appears the cons...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such great things about your experience. I'm so pleased to hear you had a clean, modern room and that you appreciated our location. Still, I appreciate your comment about the extra amenities not being ready on arrival and will coach our team to anticipate this in the future. Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.
Ottawa, Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

This hotel was billed as a 3.5 star and I would like the reviewer who gave it that rating to have to spend a night or two there. I paid $84/night and discovered immediately that most guests staying there were paying $40. It is under construction, which is bad enough, with all of the attendant noise and odors, but because I was a Hotwire customer they put me in the east wing on the recently "renovated" 6th floor. The smell was appalling. I don't know whether it was because of the new paint and carpet off-gassing or if there was some other problem, but it was sharp, pungent, almost like mothballs, but oh, so much worse. I figured I could hack it for 2 nights and unpacked, turning on the air conditioning to help clear out the smell. I came back several hours later with groceries and proceeded to try to make dinner and realized I just couldn't deal with the smell. I called the desk and they moved me to a room in the West tower, which was much better, except for the constant whine from the ventilation system. If the bedroom hadn't been in a different room from the vent I don't think I could have slept through it. On the plus side, the guy at the desk who moved me was pleasant and knew right away what I was talking about when I mentioned the smell. It's just a terrible policy to put any guests in an area they know to be uninhabitable. Overall, the hotel is old, and even refurbished it will never be a four star. The towels are thin, the pillows inadequate and the furniture uncomfortable. I give this place 2 stars, and that's for the West side. You couldn't pay me to stay on the east side.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you in the east tower.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the odor you experienced in your first room. As this hotel's manager, I can assure you that every room is being inspected and deodorized once renovation is complete prior to being offered to guests. As well, I regret to hear that you found your second room to be uncomfortable. Your feedback will be useful to us as we continually work to improve our hotel. Please know that I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at otw@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed in this hotel this summer for 6 days. Our stay was pleasant since the room was newly renovated. The staff are nice and helpful. Room service does not deliver towels or toilet paper unless you ask for it. Room cleaning is done once every few days.
Avoid going there during holidays because prices will be way high. A substantial discount was offered to us if we stay more than 7 nights.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am pleased to know you were happy with our newly renovated rooms and friendly staff, and that you were able to take advantage of our great weekly rates. Thank you again for posting your review. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations, in the future.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Manager denied our stay because we arnt her race she was so racist her name was amy and i hope she gets fired..receptionist were really rude will never ever go back and will make sure nobody i know will ever go there again that are tourists like us

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank Chello M
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

Location wise, this hotel is perfectly located, just a couple blocks away from parliament hill, close to Elgin and many shops. The rooms are also clean and huge; we were very pleasantly surprised at first. Things started going down from there, though.

To put things simply, there was no cold water. Every faucet in the room (bathroom and kitchen sink, shower and even the toilet bowl) were pouring near boiling water.

I went down to inform the reception at about 6 pm, after nearly burning myself in the shower. The lady at the front desk informed me it might have been related to the construction going on near the room. She also informed me that we could not change room since we booked with Hotwire and they were only giving renovated rooms to full paying customers. She however told me that, from her experience, the problems with the water were coming and going that week so I just had to wait it out. Fair enough.

I then woke up at 2 am to go to the bathroom. When I flushed the toilet, the plumbing started to make a terrifying rattling noise. I'm used to old buildings with noisy plumbing, that was something else: close to the sound of a power tool or a chainsaw. With great care and by opening the bathroom sink's faucets to reduce the pressure, we were able to make the sound stop after maybe 3-4 minutes. A mild steam fog, coming out of both the toilet bowl and sink, emptied the bathroom.

Avoiding the bathroom for the rest of the night in fear of waking up the entire hotel again, we woke up to be - of course - unable to take a shower or even wash our hands since the water was still boiling hot.

When we arrived at the reception to check out, the phone was ringing again and again, the lady warning another employee not to answer.

I'm a calm, understanding man; I don't mind the small stuff and rarely get upset. I also don't expect much from a hotel, but being able to take a shower or even go to the bathroom at night are one of those things. Not being treated like a second class citizen by hotel employees is also on the verge of the unacceptable.

Yes, the room are correct and surprisingly ample, but the total lack of service or even respect received during this (hopefully) exceptional hot water fiasco prevents me from recommending this hotel to anyone expecting anything better than a 15$/night youth hostel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends