“Shabby and dirty”

Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa
Ranked #43 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed February 2, 2014

There was a very strong smoking smell in the room, even though I booked non-smoking room. Had to open window and let the smell vent for a while, somebody definitely smoked in the room for some time. First impression of the room shabby and bare bond. There are hotel shabby but CLEAN, with nice crisp bedding and spotless. This one is shabby and dirty, when you try not to touch anything that you don’t have to. Marks on the walls, stains on the chairs, dirty switches, cigarette burns on the toilet sit. Overall very unpleasant experience. If we had not booked for two nights and it was not Winterlude in Ottawa that everything was booked, we would moved out.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Very basic hotel. Furniture & kitchen are very dated. A/c unit was poorly sealed and allowed cold air in, heating not great. Air return/ducts in bathroom clearly linked directly to next room, cigarette & pot smoke from next room flowed easily into mine. Great hot water though....
Laundry was closed for some reason, disappointing. Grab & Go breakfast is coffee & granola bar or muffin, not great.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that we did not provide you with a perfect stay. To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, my team is inspecting each room to ensure the air conditioners are properly sealed. As well, while I am disappointed that our on-site laundry facility was closed for maintenance during your stay, it is now open for guests to use.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at otw@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Awful smell in the room, stained sheets, very noisy, breakfast is a joke, no light in bedroom (called multiple times, nobody ever came, do not clean the room every day, parking is expensive.. Not recommended at all

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Pilar - I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I am so disappointed that your room was not up to standards and you did not enjoy your stay. Please accept my apology. To uphold our company's high standards, we will work to improve our cleaning services and do a better job of inspecting our rooms moving forward.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at otw@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I stayed one night at this hotel in january. I got a good deal on Hotwire. I had the room 1005, next to the elevator, but I didn't hear it from the bedroom. And the room was really warm (maybe a little bit to warm :P). We didn't use the kitchen, but there was not a lot of things. We asked for wine glasses at the reception and they sent it to the room. We had no problem. The bathroom was clean. On the weekend you can park in the street near the hotel without problem. Also the undergournd parking at the World Exchange Plaza is free on the weekend. (15min walk)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Thank you for your generous review of our hotel. I am thrilled that we were able to provide you with a clean, affordable room. As well, it’s great to hear that our staff met your needs during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

If all you read from this review is the first sentence, then note that this was booked through Hotwire and you shouldn't be paying full price for this place.

For what I paid ($52 CAD/night before tax ) it met my SO's and I's need. The price is worth it simply because of the location. We parked the car for the weekend and walked everywhere. We came to Ottawa to visit the museums, Rideau canal and Parliament, and spent one night in The Extended Stay, which was booked through Hotwire at an attempt to save a buck.

Service:
Because the reviews on this site warned at "putrid" smells, I called in advance and requested a smoke free room. It was put as a note for my check in, and as far as I can tell from my stay, the room had been smoke free 'for a while' (explained later). We had no other need to interact with the staff, although if we stayed for a more extended amount of time, we may have needed to (heating issue).

Value:
Location and a clean bed + bathroom made this place worth the money. I've paid for more and received similar or worse.

Sleep Quality:
The bed was king sized and didn't look or smell dirty (inspected thoroughly). The covers were too small, and the comforter was very thin, coupled with the later mentioned heating issue it was slightly annoying, but was do-able. Bring your own blanket if you are visiting in the winter months just in case. The heating system in our room would produce an audible high pitched humming sound, when trying to sleep this was a nuisance. What was a real issue was when a neighbor would use their shower or anything involving water in their apartment. My SO and I were startled awake in the middle of the night, by what sounded like a drill being used on a wall. We concluded that it was the shower being used, this is probably the most negative thing I have to say about this place, so it is kinda uphill from here.

Cleanliness:
I am not picky...and at $50/night I was just hoping the bed was clean. Like mentioned before it was, so was the newly renovated bathroom. The couches looked like it needed a steam cleaning, the kitchen appliances seemed OK but the rags we were given had stains on them and didn't looked washed. The carpets absolutely need to go, they created a stale/ very light scent of cigarette smoke smell in the room. Somone perhaps smoked a while ago once in this room or in an adjacent one and it just stuck. This is where most reviewers seemed to have complained, it wasn't intolerable, but we did have to air out the room for a while.

Location/Rooms:
Very convenient location, you don't need a car after having arrived so this can be a factor in cutting down costs of the trip. If you visit on the weekend you can park on the street for free, however during the week parking can be an issue and costly.
The lobby of the hotel is nice but is misleading as to what the rest of the hotel looks like, the halls and rooms are noticeably worn. Bathrooms are newly renovated and new flooring put in the kitchen and entrance. Appliances and furniture are dated, but so what, they all served their purposes you aren't paying for a 5 star hotel. The kitchen is stocked with the bare minimum for two people, and even then you may need more if you stay for 3+ days. The heating was wonky, it made an odd noise and wasn't consistent. Setting a higher temperature would effectively heat the room, but would then return back to the original setting (21 degrees Celsius). At night with the wind and thin sheets, it got cold. However it was not worth getting management/maintenance involved ,we were only there for one night, we were tired and the issue is reported enough on here that I am sure they are aware.

In all, if you are on a budget and aren't someone who would complain because the furniture isn't to your standards then by all means stay here, but make sure you get a deal. Their website says that rates can reach $119 per night, it definitely isn't worth that much.
After this experience though I would rather pay a little more for the peace of mind beforehand, the reviews here made me worry for no reason. It's not the best, but I got what I paid for.

Room Tip: The south wing is facing construction (still as of 1/25/14) but not as bad as some users pointed out...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank noAntidote Z

The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. I am pleased to read your kind remarks regarding our convenient location and the cleanliness of your room. Still, I am very sorry for the heating and noise issues you experienced during your stay. I have met with our housekeeping and maintenance staffs to ensure that this does not occur in the future.

The feedback you provided will be helpful as we continue to improve our hotel. I hope that you will contact me directly, at otw@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations in the future.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

We ended up here for a week while travelling with my husbands broadway show War Horse.

Three groups of our friends also booked for the same week and upon arrival every single one of them were told their reservations were lost. We ended up with room 1105 which was right beside the elevator meaning that every time someone in the building called the elevator there was a HUGE bong noise in our suite that could be heard throughout the hotel room. (Room 1107 is the same FYI)

The rooms have almost nothing in them. No hooks (not one!) anywhere, no chest of drawers, no luggage racks. In the kitchen there is one pot, 2 of each plates and cutlery, no paper towels, no sponges or dish soap.

There was one shampoo sample and one bar of soap. If you need more you have to ask front desk as there is only maid service if you stay for longer than a week. (On day 4 you get a "freshen".)

If you are going to be cooking here bring a sharp knife, frying pan and other essentials.

The appearance of the rooms and kitchen are very dated. Coffee provided is awful.

I had read about cold problems from other guests and I can confirm that it's a major problem at this hotel. Today we were told (after I called to enquire) that a boiler had broken and that rooms on the top floors would take a while to heat up again.... Understatement of the year as I am sitting here with my winter coat on. I have my suspicions about the boiler story as we have had a hard time getting any heat all week.

Although we didn't need parking while we were here, our friends did and we're told that none would be available for their stay. They ended up parking 1\2 block away (-24 weather) outside.

The latest issue was that it literally takes 20 mins in the morning for the hot water to make its way up to the higher floors. (I actually called down and the front desk told me to let it run for 15 mins)

The staff here are kind of friendly but not super. I'm sure they get tons of calls all day with complaints so it's understandable that they might be indifferent towards their guests-but not forgivable.

Bottom line, my husband is on a 50 week tour of most of the USA and this is the worst place he's stayed (and me too) yet.
We got a rate of $68/night through the tour. If for some reason you have to stay here don't pay a cent more.

Room Tip: Choose a mid floor and avoid rooms ending in 05, 06 or 07 as they are beside elevators.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I booked through Hotwire, so I wasn't expecting the best hotel for the price I got. It wasn't the worst place though, I mean better then the motels along Rideau Street. If you don't mind a bit of outdated hallways and living room/kitchens then you should be fine, also the entrance of the hotel was quite nice. The room had a lot of storage space, so if your looking to stay for a week this place would be great. It has a kitchen/living room separate from the bathroom/bedroom. Oh yes and the bathroom was brand new, that was nice. We also had the king size bed which was nice and roomie. All and all it had a lot of space, close to downtown, not in a bad neighborhood, parking was cheap at $15 a night (although parking was up a ramp outside, therefor I don't think they had much parking to choose from). Also I wouldn't pay $100 + that is on the website per night for this place, I only stayed here because hotwire gave me a great deal of $70.00 a night and I mean how could I beat that. :D

Room Tip: We stayed on the 10th floor and our bathroom was brand new, our room was warm from the second we got...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. We appreciate you letting us know that you found some of the decor outdated. We are sorry for this issue, but are happy to read that overall we provided you with a stay that met your needs both in size of your room and affordability.