“Rotten food in drawers”

Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa
Ranked #43 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We checked in to the Extended Stay Canada. There was strange odor. We found rotten tim hortons bags and food (including rotten onions) in the drawers under the tv. Went down and told the reception about it, and they asked us pointed questions about when we checked in, insinuating that we had checked in days before and planted the food, perhaps to get a better room. They offered us a new room, which we checked out but was worse. We decided to stay with the old room, but asked that a cleaner be sent up. A lady arrived with no cleaning supplies and grabbed the food with her hands, asking us when we checked in (suspicious that we had planted the rotten food) We asked her if she could please bring a spray to make it better, and she returned and sprayed the room.

Saw a notice by the door saying that some executive would be coming by at 830am to measure the drape sizes of rooms (who knows why they dont have this info already...). Looking forward to getting woken up!

Room Tip: Ask if the room has been cleaned
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Maria S
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Maria - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The situation you described regarding the level of cleanliness in your room is truly unacceptable. We are very sorry for your experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I will be working with our housekeeping staff on different ways to improve their services. As well, while I can assure you our team did not mean any harm by asking about your check-in date, I will be speaking with them directly about the importance of attending to our guests needs in a timely and professional fashion moving forward.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. I would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact me directly, at otw@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here Saturday Aug 24th to drop our daughter off at Ottawa U. This was available because the better places in town were booked. This is a very dated budget property. They have spruced up the bathrooms and splashed a bit of paint here and there, but that's about it. The halls stink from people cooking, the garage looks like a set from Sanford & Son and it advertises a "breakfast". I am still not sure what a "grab and go" breakfast is as the coffee and whatever pastries they offer were gone by 9:30 AM.
Stay here if - you are here for one night and you like the location
Don't stay here: if you hate deceptive advertising like "breakfast" or dated facilities.

Room Tip: Try a different place
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Tom - Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that an odor in the hallway gave you a negative impression of our hotel. As well, I regret that you missed out on our complimentary grab-and-go breakfast which runs from 6am to 9:30am daily. Please know, the onsite restaurant does provide a more substantial breakfast up until 11am; I hope you were able to take advantage of this option. To prevent this from happening again, my team is being coached to remind every guest of the breakfast hours at check-in. Still, I am glad that you liked our hotel's location. We hope your daughter is enjoying Ottawa University!

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at otw@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We used one of those "discount" hotel sites to book the room....you know the ones....you narrow down your preferred location, they tell you the price, then you book and THEN you find out what hotel you just booked. (I'm not saying the title of the of the site because I don't know if we are allowed to). Anyway, for the $70 we paid (normally $120 range I believe) we were very happy. Clean room, 2 double beds, small kitchenette, walking distance to everything. Lots of restaurants up and down Elgin St. Parking at $14 per day.

Well worth it for my son and I.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Lisa - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. It's great to hear that we surpassed your expectations and you enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

House keeping avg., Not a value for money. Good thing : heart of Ottawa City, so everything is nearby like Ottawa museums, Parliament, food etc.

Kind of avg. stay, not so very good.

My recommendation is to give full house cleaning at least twice a week.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. Your comments in regards to the location are much appreciated; yet, I was disheartened to read you were dissatisfied with the housekeeping. Our housekeeping services are provided on a weekly basis and are based on your length of stay, but additional service is always available for a nominal fee and I apologize if this was not adequately communicated. Thank you for sharing your experience with us as it helps us continue to improve the service we provide our guests. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at otw@extendedstay.com. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

This hotel is nothing special. If you're looking for an affordable place to stay in downtown Ottawa withing walking distance to everything, this is it! This hotel is literally a 15 min walk to Parliament and the surrounding attractions. The kitchen is a fabulous amenity to have in the room, the beds were comfortable and the grab and go breakfast was a very nice touch. I would stay here again if I were coming to Ottawa on a budget.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sun_sport_gal

Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. We are happy to know you found the suite comfortable and affordable, and that you would consider staying with us again! Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Extended Stay was a fantastic hotel for a budget price! Our room was only $105, which included 2 double beds, a living room, kitchen and bathroom. Grab and go breakfast was also provided. The room was very clean and spacious, we were very impressed! This hotel is located in walking distance from downtown Ottawa. The staff were genuinely friendly and welcoming. We will definitely stay here again when we are in Ottawa!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Haley - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am proud of our team for making you feel welcome, and for providing you with a spacious and practical suite! We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I'm not typically one to write nasty reviews of an accommodation, but my experience here was unacceptable. My main issue is the fact that my credit card was charged twice for my one-night stay. When I called the hotel to inquire on this mistake, I was told with certainty that I had only been charged once, and that I should take the issue up with my credit card provider. The credit card company verified that there were indeed two separate and equal transactions, thereby confirming that the hotel, through a lack of either diligence or competence, was wrong. Thankfully, the second person I spoke to at the hotel did a modest bit of extra looking and (despite being a new staff member) found the problem, confirming that I had indeed been charged both on the day of my arrival and on the day of my departure. The error is being corrected, and I am grateful that the second staff member I spoke to went the extra mile to resolve my problem. But I would have gladly spent a few dollars more to stay at a full-service hotel and avoid this extra hassle. The utter lack of diligence on the part of the first staff member I spoke to is most worrying, since it increased the risk of a rather substantial issue not getting resolved.

The toilet in my room (310 on the east side) was also not in proper working order, adding an extra headache to my stay.

The hotel itself is adequate, particularly if you are travelling in a larger group and want the privacy of a separate bedroom and a fold-out in the living room. The washroom was clean, and the furnishings, while a little worn down, were not bothersome. The hotel is also very pet-friendly, which I appreciated. The location is excellent for access to the Market, Elgin St., Ottawa U and the Canal. The air conditioning unit in my room was quite loud, which was not an issue for me but may concern some light sleepers out there.

If you end up with this hotel through a blind, prepaid service like Priceline or Hotwire, I wouldn't be too concerned. It's not unclean or dark/miserable, and the likelihood of a billing error is minimized by prepaying. I would just be careful to inspect the room upon your arrival (there seems to be limited maintenance staff available at night) and double-check your room charges on check-out to ensure nothing has slipped through the cracks.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

David - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am encouraged to read your remarks about the cleanliness of your suite and our great location. Still, I am very sorry that we made a billing error. Please know that this situation is taken very seriously, and I met with the staff, and we will take the necessary steps to ensure that the issue is not repeated. I also thank you for bringing your experience with the air conditioner and the toilet in your room to my attention so that they may be corrected.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. I would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact me directly, at otw@extendedstay.com. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.