“location, location, location”

Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa
Ranked #41 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Walked everywhere, safe location, two minutes to Elgin Street and the city hu-bub.
Front desk attendant, Monsour found us a very spacious king studio on the eigth floor, even though we were very early for check-in. Clean and well laid out mini-suite.
No major issues except no hot tub as advertised. Grab and Go breakfast just that. Quick start.
Great value for the money.We booked thru Priceline blindly, pleasant outcome.

Room Tip: Go high, ask for view to Parliament Hill
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelbugOntario58
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

The team and I appreciate your upbeat remarks. We are so encouraged to hear that our team and our hotel suited your needs. As well, I am pleased to read that you found our location to be convenient, close to other establishments in the area.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Like many of the other reviewers, I booked this hotel blindly through an Expedia deal. I then read the reviews so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. Most of the reviews are fairly accurate so it really comes down to expectations/value. For what I paid (under $100 tax in) I would have to say that I was completely satisfied and would recommend this hotel. Yes many of the hallways and furnishing should be updated but the staff was friendly, the rooms clean and functional. We stayed only one night so didn't use the kitchen but some people would really appreciate it. The Grab & Go breakfast is basically coffee, granola bars, and some fruit but there are plenty of fast food restaurants within a couple minutes walk. McDonalds, Harveys, Pizza Pizza, Starbucks. The area also has quite a few pub / restaurants with outdoor seating. We had breakfast at one and really enjoyed it. It's about 15 minutes by foot to the Byward Market / Parliament Hill / Rideau Mall area. I had no parking issues. Paid my $14, had a spot when I arrived and a spot when we came back late from the event we were in town for. A/C worked fine and the hallways were quiet all night. As for comfort, the beds and pillows were good, and the water pressure through the shower head was decent. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking floor if you're sensitive to the smell.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AllanG
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Allan - Thank you for your honest review of our property. We are delighted we were able to provide you with a clean, functional room and friendly service. As well, I am glad to read that you enjoyed our location.

Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Booked on Hotwire and got a great deal at approximately $70/night. The hotel is also in a great location, only a 5-10 minute walk from Parliament Hill 10-15 walk to Byward market. However, these two good features got cancelled out by having no AC in our bedroom and a very high ($16/night) parking charge. Having no AC in the bedroom was a problem when the temps were in the 80s, and the hotel had no fans to spare. There was AC in the sitting area, but the fan that shuttled the air into bedroom could not keep up with the high temps. Also, parking is VERY expensive. Can't say I could recommend this hotel - at least not in the summer or if you have a car.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KBCCharleston_SCUSA
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. Your comments in regards to the great value and location of our hotel are much appreciated; yet, I was disheartened to read that the air conditioning unit in your room was not optimal. I am reviewing the proper settings with our team to ensure that all our suites are cool upon arrival and continue to run that way during a guests entire stay.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at otw@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed in the hotel only one night with my mom, vacation trip. It was GREAT! We wished we had booked that hotel for longer, but because we were going to be in that city only one night we could only stay for that time.

It was way better than Holliday Inn and Radisson. It had a little kitchen, fridge and little teapot.

Great service too! Love it!!
This is a great place to stay at :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Amanda B
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Amanda - It is so rewarding to read that you had an excellent stay with us. Thank you for your comments. I am proud of our team for making you feel at home.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel a couple times before for business meetings in Ottawa. Its location is convenient for the University of Ottawa. I have never had issues before, but our recent stay has put a black mark on this hotel for myself (and upper management who were treated even worse than me). We booked 3 rooms on travelocity with a non-smoking guarantee. I called in before hand to make sure we had rooms with two double beds, non-smoking, front desk agent said we for sure had two double bed rooms and not to worry. My colleagues arrived first and called me to tell me that we were all assigned single bed smoking rooms and there was nothing they could do because they were booked up. The fact that we PREPAID for non-smoking guaranteed rooms made absolutely no difference to them. The manager, Amy, said that a bus group had reserved all of their non-smoking rooms, and that we were out of luck! I called travelocity considering we PAID for NON-smoking rooms and travelocity called the front desk of the hotel. The girl at the front desk told travelocity we had non-smoking rooms!!!! They flat out lied to travelocity and put us in a he said she said situation so we couldn't get our money back. When I went down to confront the manager a second time the girl at the desk who I originally confirmed our rooms with was there, and reassigned our rooms for us. No idea if this got her in trouble with the oblivious manager, but obviously it was the smart thing to do. Regardless we will never stay at this hotel again and have filed a formal complaint with travelocity.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank muppetx

Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. Please accept our most sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations on this visit. While we cannot guarantee a smoking or non-smoking preference, we do strive to meet every guest request. To uphold our company's high standards, we will be more vigilant in verifying these requests in advance.

Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at otw@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for many years now , and while I enjoy it's location and facilities , I have the worst experience with the internet. While away from home , staying here for three weeks with a very slow internet is very difficult. A person from the management made a comment that I should be grateful for WiFI and no cost and I should call tech support...Seriously?!!! I would much rather pay something and not have to wait until 1 am ( when there are fewer guests using the internet) in order to be able to watch some work related videos . They keep saying that everything is fine on the hotel's part....I wonder how other , much larger hotels manage....perhaps they are not being as cheap? So, if you need to use internet while traveling - stay away from this place .

Room Tip: rooms with balconies facing Cooper
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank tatigny
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that the internet connection has interfered with your enjoyment of your stay. In response to your feedback, I am working with our technical support to ensure that every guest has the ability to do the work they need. While we do have the best high speed connection, the volume of traffic does impact the speed; however, our support network is often able to assist with this. I apologize if they were not able to improve your particular experience.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact me directly, at otw@extendedstay.com. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is a hard review to write as I do have some good things to say about this property. We stayed every year, three times per year for business. Each time things got worse and worse for us. The first time it was because internet was only available wired! This was back in 2011 when there should have been no reason they could not provide WIFI. Aside from this minor inconvenience is that simple fact that the staff are rude, unhelpful and to be perfectly honest, aloof.

The worst offender is Amie [---], their General Manager. She is not fit to do a job where, at times, you just need to bend or show a little compassion. She comes across as frustrated, overworked and just uninterested in retaining loyal customers. There really is no worse feeling than that when you make an effort to spend your valuable money with one company.

Our last stay with this property was December 2012. There were 3 fire alarms that night, a loud party taking place on the premise at 3am! and people yelling and screaming in the hallways. Many calls to the front desk did not produce any kind of betterment. The front desk clerk was too afraid to lodge a complaint with the police for noise. He asked me to do it. That is just shameful.

When this matter was brought up with Amie, she shrugged it off, offered no compensation and when I asked her to book a room for my next stay, she told me the price would be higher than what we had been paying.

Does this make any business sense to you? That was the straw that broke the camel's back. Never again. This property is old, the beds are crappy, they had a pretty big bed bug infestation and the staff is now rude and without empathy. We'll stay some place else.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank 2hotheaded

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. It upsets me to hear that you felt your concerns were not taken seriously. I am sorry for your experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have reviewed each one of your comments with our entire team to ensure your experience is not repeated.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. I hope that you will contact me directly, at otw@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We appreciate your past loyalty, and we would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.