“very poor internet connection”

Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa
Ranked #43 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for many years now , and while I enjoy it's location and facilities , I have the worst experience with the internet. While away from home , staying here for three weeks with a very slow internet is very difficult. A person from the management made a comment that I should be grateful for WiFI and no cost and I should call tech support...Seriously?!!! I would much rather pay something and not have to wait until 1 am ( when there are fewer guests using the internet) in order to be able to watch some work related videos . They keep saying that everything is fine on the hotel's part....I wonder how other , much larger hotels manage....perhaps they are not being as cheap? So, if you need to use internet while traveling - stay away from this place .

Room Tip: rooms with balconies facing Cooper
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank tatigny
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that the internet connection has interfered with your enjoyment of your stay. In response to your feedback, I am working with our technical support to ensure that every guest has the ability to do the work they need. While we do have the best high speed connection, the volume of traffic does impact the speed; however, our support network is often able to assist with this. I apologize if they were not able to improve your particular experience.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact me directly, at otw@extendedstay.com. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is a hard review to write as I do have some good things to say about this property. We stayed every year, three times per year for business. Each time things got worse and worse for us. The first time it was because internet was only available wired! This was back in 2011 when there should have been no reason they could not provide WIFI. Aside from this minor inconvenience is that simple fact that the staff are rude, unhelpful and to be perfectly honest, aloof.

The worst offender is Amie [---], their General Manager. She is not fit to do a job where, at times, you just need to bend or show a little compassion. She comes across as frustrated, overworked and just uninterested in retaining loyal customers. There really is no worse feeling than that when you make an effort to spend your valuable money with one company.

Our last stay with this property was December 2012. There were 3 fire alarms that night, a loud party taking place on the premise at 3am! and people yelling and screaming in the hallways. Many calls to the front desk did not produce any kind of betterment. The front desk clerk was too afraid to lodge a complaint with the police for noise. He asked me to do it. That is just shameful.

When this matter was brought up with Amie, she shrugged it off, offered no compensation and when I asked her to book a room for my next stay, she told me the price would be higher than what we had been paying.

Does this make any business sense to you? That was the straw that broke the camel's back. Never again. This property is old, the beds are crappy, they had a pretty big bed bug infestation and the staff is now rude and without empathy. We'll stay some place else.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank 2hotheaded

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. It upsets me to hear that you felt your concerns were not taken seriously. I am sorry for your experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have reviewed each one of your comments with our entire team to ensure your experience is not repeated.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. I hope that you will contact me directly, at otw@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We appreciate your past loyalty, and we would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

It has many facilities. Fridge, stove, coffee maker, toaster, dishes, glasses, everything. Rooms comfortable.It is very accessible. Near many businesses. Must have Canadian money or better yet have visa card. In many places do not accept American money.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Elizabeth - The team and I appreciate your kind remarks. We are so happy to hear that the comforts of home that we provide were appreciated. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

we had 2 nights here, it is easy walking distance to canal and downtown. Plenty of eateries close by and kitchen facilities if you'd rather self cater. Internet was iffy and air con was noisy, but staff were pleasant, room spacious and a light breakfast is thrown in. Overall, we'd stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pamela D
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Pamela - Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. We appreciate you letting us know that you had concerns about the internet and air conditioning. We are sorry for these issues, but are happy to read that overall we provided you with a stay that you would like to repeat.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I've been coming here for twelve summers on business (company rents this hotel, so I don't have a choice). Overall a nice hotel for a long-term stay, but if you need to use internet, don't count on it. The internet speed is pathetically slow (falls below 100K most nights), so you can't get any serious work done if you need access. When I complain, they tell me to call the internet provide tech support, so I spend almost every night on the phone with them with very little of no result. The internet login page says that there is an option to pay for extra speed, but when I called tech support to purchase it, this option said it was not available at this hotel. My guess is the hotel is just being cheap and doesn't purchase enough bandwidth to keep the speed at a tolerable level when more than a few guests are connected. Really a shame at this day and age.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank gkalin
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you for the feedback you provided in your review. Your comments in regards to the suitability of the hotel for a long term stay are much appreciated; yet, I was disheartened to read you find the internet slow. In face, we have recently upgraded our internet service to wireless service throughout the hotel and made it complimentary for all guests. The speed generally depends on the volume of users, which our internet provider has been monitoring, and as we continually work to improve our hotel, I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly, at otw@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

All depends on the price you pay. I paid only US$ 55 per night (via hotwire), thus it was really great value for a place right in the city centre. Very friendly staff but some items such as microwave oven were not working. Also air condition was very noise and could not be switched off Both should not happen, especially when normal rate is more than US$ 120.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Please accept our apologies that you experienced difficulty with both your microwave and air conditioner. Our team is available 24 hours to assist with such concerns and I hope they were helpful in this regard. We are pleased to know that we were able to provide you a stay you found overall to be good value and friendly. Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Got this through a blind bid with hotwire.com and upon reading reviews here it got us so worried as reviews are so mixed. I must say after our trip we're pleasantly surprised. The room is clean and that's our bottom line. It has a kitchen (which we didn't use other than the fridge), a living room and a bedroom with a door. Like many posters have already said, parking is limited so we had to park over at the city hall but frankly it's just 2 mins walk away and it worked out fine. I'm kinda disappointed that the staff didn't tell me ahead of time that they can validate the ticket and I almost paid over at the city hall (and the hotel charged me separately for the hotel parking rate of $14/day). If I did pay over at city hall first then I would have paid double for parking. Another bone to pick is the wifi is slow to virtually non-existent. It didn't bother me that much though. Overall, for the price we've got I'm extremely pleased for what I've got - you get what you paid for, if I needed luxury then I will stay at a different hotel for 10x the price. I would probably stay here again if I were to visit Ottawa again.

As a side note - some posters also complained about the breakfast - it's much better than I thought actually, they have coffee/tea/hot chocolate, oatmeal, some cereal bar and muffins and fruits. Can't ask for more for free breakfast right?

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Wache - I appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review. Thank you for letting us know that you were disappointed with the internet speed. We are sorry for this issue, but are happy to read that we provided you with an otherwise comfortable stay that exceeded your expectations.