“Good value for money”

Ranked #40 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Toronto, Canada
“Good value for money”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Got this through a blind bid with hotwire.com and upon reading reviews here it got us so worried as reviews are so mixed. I must say after our trip we're pleasantly surprised. The room is clean and that's our bottom line. It has a kitchen (which we didn't use other than the fridge), a living room and a bedroom with a door. Like many posters have already said, parking is limited so we had to park over at the city hall but frankly it's just 2 mins walk away and it worked out fine. I'm kinda disappointed that the staff didn't tell me ahead of time that they can validate the ticket and I almost paid over at the city hall (and the hotel charged me separately for the hotel parking rate of $14/day). If I did pay over at city hall first then I would have paid double for parking. Another bone to pick is the wifi is slow to virtually non-existent. It didn't bother me that much though. Overall, for the price we've got I'm extremely pleased for what I've got - you get what you paid for, if I needed luxury then I will stay at a different hotel for 10x the price. I would probably stay here again if I were to visit Ottawa again.

As a side note - some posters also complained about the breakfast - it's much better than I thought actually, they have coffee/tea/hot chocolate, oatmeal, some cereal bar and muffins and fruits. Can't ask for more for free breakfast right?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Wache - I appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review. Thank you for letting us know that you were disappointed with the internet speed. We are sorry for this issue, but are happy to read that we provided you with an otherwise comfortable stay that exceeded your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is probably one of the biggest hotel rooms I've ever had. Forget probably. I paid $140 per night including all taxes, and to be honest I did not expect much seeing that it was the cheapest option for the location. I was pleasantly surprised by the value for money offered by this hotel.

It offers a nice small kitchen(with stove, oven, microwave and fridge), lounge area with a TV and couch, big balcony with a sliding door, bathroom, and a room with 2 smallish double beds.

Additionally there is a mall about 15min walk away up Elgin street. Along Elgin you will find plenty of restaurants and pubs.

I've only been to Ottawa once before (see my reviews), and should I travel here again I will definitely be staying here again. Highly recommended!!

Room Tip: I stayed in a top room and the view from the balcony was pretty decent!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Tinus - It is so rewarding to read that you had a terrific stay with us. Thank you for your comments. We are so gratified to hear that you were pleasantly surprised and that you would return to us again.

West New York, New Jersey
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We chose this hotel as it offered a kitchen area, good location, and seemed like a good value. I did not think it was as bad as others have said but we were a little misled on some points. The parking there is so limited its non-existent. Overflow parking is at city hall and they validate it so you pay the same as parking in their lot, but you are two blocks away. This works out fine if you don't plan on using your car. The construction going on behind it has slowed down but noise does start at 7 am, so its impossible to sleep in right now. That is out of their control but what is they don't offer privacy sheer curtains, only a set of heavy drapes. Since there were constructions workers in the building a short distance behind our room all day we had to keep the windows closed and use lamps as their is no privacy when the drapes are open. They may need to change that when that building is occupied full time. This meant the balcony was useless and we had no view. The bed and pillows were comfortable and the room was clean. The hotel itself was quiet so its a shame that the construction site is so close. We did not use the stove but everything else in the kitchen worked great. The decor matched and was not the hodge podge you sometimes get at more value chains. The bathroom was in good working order except for the water. It was hot ALL the time. Even the water in the toilet would get so hot it was leaving condensation on the top of the seat. I ended up brushing my teeth at the sink in the kitchen area as I got scalded a few times at the bathroom sink. The location was wonderful, it was a short walk to the downtown area and lots of restaurants. The staff was pleasant and willing to answer any questions you may have. The grab and go breakfast should not be counted on, half the time the bins were empty and other guests were waiting around for it to be refilled. Stay here if you want a great location at a good price, but expect no perks or luxuries.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front side (facing the street you walk in on) to avoid being next to the const...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Thank you for the kind comments about the value, comfort and cleanliness we provided; however, we apologize that the adjacent construction interfered with your stay. As you noted, the construction is almost complete, but the exterior work being done during your stay also impacted our parking availability, and for this we apologize.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at otw@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed June 7, 2013

First thing, parking is for about 20 cars. We did manage to get some twice but if not had to get up 7AM and move parked car on the street to avoid ticket. Rooms muggy and stuffy. Even with leaving sliding door open most of the day. Location good enough. Extended stay don't do a turn over service expect once a week and don't change towels expect every 4th day. Not sure how that makes my stay better. Staff were marginally friendly. My nose got stuffed up each night due to the age and stuffiness of the place, very dated. Fine for a Priceline find. Wouldn't want to pay going rate.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. I am so disappointed that you found your room to be stuffy and parking to be limited. Please accept my apology. Unfortunately, our parking has been reduced by 50% for a short period of time; however, we do have overflow parking available at City Hall as well. I am sorry that this was not communicated to you properly at check-in.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. I would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact me directly, at otw@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Travelers are raving about these Ottawa hotels

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel seems to get variable reviews, but overall the experience was excellent and great value for money via Hotwire. The service was professional, the hotel clean and the rooms adequate for a week's stay. Room servicing was not every day, but that didn't matter to me. Didn't use the kitchen but it seemed to have all that was necessary. The negatives? A somewhat slow internet, a noisy air-conditioner and both elevators breaking down which required a 9 floor walk up. But nothing that would prevent me from staying again. The location is excellent, close to all manner of pubs and restaurants from the average to the excellent. Close to the theatre and cinemas also. Highly recommended

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
The team and I appreciate your encouraging remarks. Please accept our apologies that our elevator service was interrupted while you were at our hotel, and that the air conditioner as well as internet were not functioning properly. Still, we are extremely proud to know that you would recommend our hotel based on our service, location and cleanliness.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Overall my experience at the Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa was disappointing:
- poor service or no service at all
- broken items in the room
- awful smell in corridors and room
- room temperature
- stained carpeted floor
- no safe and windows that I could not close properly
- a 'grab'n'go' breakfast = hot water or poor quality coffee and pretty much nothing else

1 Thank Amy1982_AB
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disheartened to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are reviewing our standards to ensure every room is fresh, clean and well equipped. In regards to your comment about not having a safe in your guest room, while we do not offer them, there is an option to use one of our safety deposit boxes, which are made available to guests upon request. As well, I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our grab and go breakfast. This is a new feature, which we are still fine tuning. As we do so, we will definitely keep your feedback in mind.

Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. I would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact me directly, at otw@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This is a good value hotel for travelers who want the option of an apartment style hotel. My room was comfortable - I like the recliner in the living room which I took full advantage of after a day at the office. The bed was moderately comfortable, but the pillows were terrible (soft and flat as a pancake...I had to stack 4 up to make a normal sized pillow). I booked through a 3rd party website and got a great deal which was a good 30% cheaper than booking direct, so based on what I paid, the fact that it was a good size suite with a bedroom, living room, well stocked kitchenette, and the location is excellent, I was VERY satisfied with my stay. Also, very quiet street even though it is close to downtown. This is a serviceable hotel but not lots of extras, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for your thoughtful and practical review of our property. I am so satisfied to know that we provided you with a pleasant experience. I am sorry that you did find the pillows to be comfortable; however, I am glad to hear that you found your room to be clean and spacious.