“comfortable hotel”

Ranked #40 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Rochester, New York
“comfortable hotel”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I booked this hotel on Hot Wire which had it rated as a 3 star. I became concerned that AAA rated it a 2 star. Most of the Trip Advisor reviews were positive, but was also concerned about some that that referred to smoky odors and loud noise. I was happy to observe the hotel management address some of the concerns that people posted. I have to say we were quite satisfied with our one bedroom suite. The room was very clean and had a comfortable king size bed. Room and hallways were clean, quiet, and had no quirky odors. I was told that two of the floors in the hotel were designated as smoking floors. The hotel is a 15 walk to the By Ward market. The location is perfect for folks who simply want to park their car and walk everywhere. The front desk staff were friendly, efficient, and helpful. We stayed for three nights and didn't require house keeping services. This wasn't a big deal with us. We made use of the grab and go breakfast. Coffee was good and appreciated fruits that were available. Our room had a kitchen which we did use to heat up water as well as soup we brought home from the market. There were flat screen TVs in the bedroom and living room. This hotel is situated with a number of other hotels. I didnt feel unsafe walking about the area. Overall, I would give this hotel a 2.5 to 3 star rating. The price we booked it through Hot Wire was quite favorable. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such positive things about our hotel's service and cleanliness. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the breakfast, which is a new offering for us, as well as your description of how our suite features suited your needs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I checked in to a woman who barely acknowledged me...but I can tolerate rudeness. What I couldn't tolerate were the disgusting rooms. The furniture was so worn that I didn't want to sit down. The room stunk of old cigarettes. And then I checked the bed sheets. They were covered in what appeared to be dried blood. I ran down to the front desk to see if they could change the sheets...but was assured that the sheets were changed before I checked in. Like...it was MY fault. I literally had to fight the front desk to get new sheets....which came TWO HOURS after I requested them. I got zero sleep I was so upset and literally left this place in tears. I strongly urge everyone to NOT stay here. A total nightmare.

• Stayed May 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Amy - The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. Please know that we are sincerely sorry you were disappointed in both your guest suite and our service. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I am meeting with all of our team members to review our customer service standards, plus coach them on different ways to handle situations like yours. By doing so, it is our hope that this will ensure your experience is not repeated.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at otw@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.

Travelers are raving about these Ottawa hotels

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed in room 1119 for two nights, booked through Hotwire on a hidden bid. Was weary as some of the reviews state some bad experiences and cleanliness issues. The hotel is built into two towers, I seen both room types. I can truly tell the tale of both sides. Original booking was for king size suite. Upon late checkin around midnight I was greeted by front desk agent name starts w M. He was very friendly and helpful. He told me the room types were sold out and he would have to put me into a smoking room against my wishes. Unless i wanted to pay more for a penthouse suite. He mentioned it shouldn't smell so bad and that if I couldn't bear it to let him know. The elevator, room and halls smelt terrible and the furnishings were very worn down and in need of repair from what I noticed. I couldn't bear the smells and smoking smell. He switched me into a penthouse suite and waived the fee, which was very accommodating in lieu of a non smoking room. This other tower area halls and elevator smelt clean and fresh like a hotel should. The room was very clean, furniture was well appointed and good condition. Bed is comfortable and linens were soft and the ac unit was working full force. The view on this oversized balcony was amazing. One of the best views in Ottawa. There isn't much for amenities here, small shampoo and soap and there wasnt a kitchen unit. There isn't a housekeeper to clean or make sheets etc which was the first time I ever heard of that. You can have someone come but it costs extra each day. All in all the price I paid on hotwire was well worth it. I would stay here again only if I paid for the penthouse floor again or that section of the hotel. Jenn at front desk was very polite and helpful too stored luggage here while went to museums during visit. Lots of potential and needs some upgrades but this hotel is the best on cooper street/ area for the price and service.

1 Thank CanJAD
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate you letting us know that our smoking area was not suitable for you. We are sorry for this issue, but are happy to read that we provided you with an alternative where you could enjoy the hotel and the view. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon!
Toronto
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed at Extended Stay over the weekend, and were pleasantly surprised at how clean and spacious the suits were, not to mention well equipped. My husband found a good deal for the hotel on Priceline, and it was worth every penny we paid. As the name suggests, the hotel caters to those who require apartment-style rooms for longer stays. Our rooms had a fully functioning kitchen, a separate living room, and a bedroom with a king-size bed. The highlights were the comfy bed, the amazing shower pressure and the close proximity to the downtown core of Ottawa. A grab-and-go breakfast was also included in the price, which we didn’t really try. The hotel provided parking for $14/night, but you can also find free parking on the streets over the weekend. The staff at the front desk were pleasant and helpful.

My only criticism would be that the suite that my in-laws stayed in was flooded with the smell of someone cooking fish in an adjacent suite one night. I guess this is no fault of the hotel management, but something that is inevitable when staying at places that allow cooking.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your encouraging review of our property. Please accept our apologies that your in-laws stay was impacted by an odor coming from a different guests room. Still, we are thrilled to know that we were able to provide you great service and value. Especially so, that you were able to enjoy our in-rooms kitchens and comfortable beds.

ontario
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Great location, walking distance from Byward Market, restaurants and shopping. Hotel lobby and room were very clean. Staff were friendly and helpful.
The hallways were dirty and smelly and the noise level was high late at night and early in the morning.
There seemed to be several guests who were staying there for much longer than the usual hotel guest, and based on some conversations I overheard at check in/out it is likely that this hotel serves as temporary housing for homeless individuals.
Parking was available but getting in/out of the underground lot was tricky, the ramp in/out is very narrow, I'm sure many people have damaged their vehicles getting in and out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. Your comments in regards to the staff's friendliness and the level of cleanliness in your room are much appreciated; yet, I was disheartened to read that noise disturbed your stay and that you found the hotel hallways to be dirty. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have discussed your remarks about the property's cleanliness with our housekeeping team to ensure it is attended to immediately.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at otw@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
cincinnati
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located in a very nice place, very close to downtown as lots of nice restaurants. The rooms are older looking for sure, the couch is old looking. We had a problem with the AC and was was fixed. Hotel staff is very friendly and helpful

• Stayed May 2013
George - Thank you for posting a review about your stay at our hotel. Please accept our apologies that you found the furniture in your room to be in need of repair. Still, we are pleased to know that we were able to address your issues and provide helpful, friendly service.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I was looking for hotel and I found this hotel that was a very goog surprise. The price was very good, the location was very good, the front desk people was friendly, the parking is on the hotel and cost $15,00 , the breakfast is poor but was not a surprize for price that we pay. I stayed 1 nigthy and i strong recommend. Paulo from Brazil

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Paulo - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am glad to hear that you were pleased with the value, location, and our team. I am sorry to hear that the grab and go breakfast did not meet your expectations. It is one of our newest offerings, so we are working to perfect what is available for our guests to enjoy. We will keep your comment in mind as we continue to do this.