“Average, but small”

Ranked #40 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Halifax, Canada
“Average, but small”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I found the suite to be satisfactory, and the staff quite pleasant, but the room to be on the small side. The bedroom felt like a bit of a squeeze with two of us. The kitchenette was in good order, and the room clean.

One annoyance was the requirement to use wired Internet as opposed to wireless. Being stuck at the desk to get work done, especially since it cost money.

All in all, it was a decent stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2012

This is a great mid-range hotel (nothing fancy but everything you need). The staff were super friendly and helpful, the room was spacious and clean with a little kitchen area that included a sink, dishes, and a full sized fridge and stove, and there was a little balcony so I could get some air if I wanted to. Internet connectivity was about $4/night and worked perfectly. The location is nice; very central, surrounded by lots of cafes, pubs & restaurants as well as conveniences (bank, pharmacy) and it's walking distance to the canal (about 2 blocks) if you want to see the skaters in winter (or go skating yourself!). The bed was comfy and the hotel is on a quiet side street so there was no noise. I had a very peaceful sleep. It's easily walkable to the Parliament buildings and Byward Market (about 15-20 minutes) but I'd recommend an inexpensive cab ride in winter as it can get pretty cold out (it was -16C on the day I arrived). It was about $30 by cab from the airport. Overall, I thought this was great value for money and would stay here again. It would be especially good for longer stays or for people who don't want to blow a bundle on restaurants 3x/day.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank helenahandbasket2000
Calgary
Reviewed January 17, 2012

This is where we always stay while in Ottawa. This time, we (family of four adults) checked in January 12, for three nights. You can't beat the location or value of this hotel. It's minutes from The Hill, and just half a block from Elgin (excellent restaurants on Elgin). You can walk to the market, and other shopping within minutes.

We arrived in a snow storm, and parked in the back of the hotel. We checked in and were told the back lot was fully reserved, but they had room at the other lot. We were used to this, so had no problem moving the car. We stayed in a one bedroom suite (104/night), with a full, eat-in kitchen, and full balcony. The bedroom had two beds, and the living room had a pull out couch, recliner, and a desk Excellent value. We didn't have maid service as we were only there three nights - not a problem though. We needed some extra pillows, and towels, so called the front desk; all arrived soon after our call. It is an older hotel, but very clean & comfortable, and you can't beat the location. The beds are comfortable. There is a restaurant on site serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was raining when we arrived, so decided to eat at hotel; ordered a thin-crust pizza, the fish (the special), and a couple of pasta dishes. We all enjoyed our food; no complaints (and average prices). The staff at the restaurant, and the hotel are very friendly, and helpful.

When we checked in, we were told they charged a one time fee of 4.99 for internet connection. I didn't have my laptop, so we didn't pay the one time charge. We were told the business centre is free to guests if we did need the internet. I did end up having to print something off in the business centre. The connection is slow, but I wasn't in a rush.

It was a spur of the moment trip, but anytime any of us have to go to Ottawa, this is where we stay, and will continue to do so. I would however, recommend trying to get a room that is not right across from the elevator as it got loud, at times, when people were waiting for it. I had forgotten to request that this time, and it was a tad loud (people talking & laughing while waiting for the elevator).

You just can't beat the location, and value of this hotel. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Even when I've stayed here on my own, I do book a one bedroom, just to have that extra space. D...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FromCalgaryCanada
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I booked at this hotel thru HOTWIRE Dec.18, 2011 and I was surprised when I arrive on this hotel. I came in 3 or 4hrs before the check-in time and still the receptionist find a way to get me the "suite" that I booked and let me check inn..
the downside is you need to pay 5$ for the Internet on the room and it's not wifi..
But the room, it's pretty clean and and it has a fully equipped kitchenette. The washroom is 4/5 but yet, it is still clean..

I was planning on returning on this hotel on FEB.4(Saturday but the hotel is already fully booked online)
I hope the management will read this and find a way for me to stay just for one night..

Thumbs up on this HOTEL.
Cheap $$$ for a clean and great location...

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank crucialedge
Toronto
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We stayed here, on our way to Tremblant from Toronto. Thanks to Priceline, I was able to get a deal for the one night we stayed here ($75 taxes in).

Check-in was very easy, and so was check out. We arrived too late to be able to park at the hotel, however we were able to get (free since we left before 8am) street parking right across from the hotel.

Our room included a fully equipped kitchen. The bathroom was updated and clean. The bed was firm but comfortable.

If you are looking for a clean place to shower and sleep, I'd recommend this place. Otherwise, if you are looking for something fancy look elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank butterf1y
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I stayed their on Oct 14th to Oct 16th 2011. It is an average hotel with acceptable standard. I arrived there earlier than the check in time, the receiption girl helped me to search the available room and let me check in early. That is very nice of her. The hotel has offered free local phone calls, free internet and full kitchen. The location is at heart of downtown Ottawa and very easy to access. The only things I do not like are the construction at the back and drunk people on the street in the mid night, but the hotel can do nothing about this. Overrall, needs a place to stay and sleep, no problem with this hotel, look for something fancy, try somewhere else.

Room Tip: Room on the front side might be better, the construction is on the back
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2011

it is an acceptable hotel, in fact, it uses an old apartment and converts it to a hotel. Therefore, each unit is a suite with a bedroom, and a living room. A Full Kitchen is available. the building is old, and the hotel has not really renovated the building, but the carpet or walls being painted. i can testify that the washroom has been upgraded and the shower, tiles, floor and faucets are all like new. the mattresses are terribly soft, so i got back aches from it for the whole 2 days of staying in there. the Aspirins did the job though. In terms of location, it is top notch. it is just 200 yards from the main street Elgin where all the restaurants are located. you can find any type of food three, including Montreal's Dunn's smoked meat. Falafel is the standard fast food in Ottawa and you can be rest assured to find one on the street. There are lots of pubs, italian restaurants. All have their menus listed at the front doors and i find that their prices are no more expensive than any big cities. It is within walkable distance to the parliament. To go to other museums, you will need to drive. Nonetheless, they have in and out privilege for the parking lot if you pay $14 a day for using the hotel parking lot. If they run out of space, you can park your car in the parking lot of the City hall whcih is just located half a block east of the hotel. yo ualso pay just $14 for the city hall parking lot. The hotel is not upscale, 2-1/2 stars is bang on, but its location is truly worth considering if one does not care much about the soft mattresses. I may consider staying there again when i go to the capital city next year. Finally, there is no bed bug, i stayed in Days Inn nearby, my son got bitten by these buggers.

Room Tip: you got to pay for parking, but for $12 with in and out privilege, it is worth it.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family