“No surprises, average 3 star hotel, but the location is fantastic”

Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa
Ranked #40 of 69 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed December 4, 2011

it is an acceptable hotel, in fact, it uses an old apartment and converts it to a hotel. Therefore, each unit is a suite with a bedroom, and a living room. A Full Kitchen is available. the building is old, and the hotel has not really renovated the building, but the carpet or walls being painted. i can testify that the washroom has been upgraded and the shower, tiles, floor and faucets are all like new. the mattresses are terribly soft, so i got back aches from it for the whole 2 days of staying in there. the Aspirins did the job though. In terms of location, it is top notch. it is just 200 yards from the main street Elgin where all the restaurants are located. you can find any type of food three, including Montreal's Dunn's smoked meat. Falafel is the standard fast food in Ottawa and you can be rest assured to find one on the street. There are lots of pubs, italian restaurants. All have their menus listed at the front doors and i find that their prices are no more expensive than any big cities. It is within walkable distance to the parliament. To go to other museums, you will need to drive. Nonetheless, they have in and out privilege for the parking lot if you pay $14 a day for using the hotel parking lot. If they run out of space, you can park your car in the parking lot of the City hall whcih is just located half a block east of the hotel. yo ualso pay just $14 for the city hall parking lot. The hotel is not upscale, 2-1/2 stars is bang on, but its location is truly worth considering if one does not care much about the soft mattresses. I may consider staying there again when i go to the capital city next year. Finally, there is no bed bug, i stayed in Days Inn nearby, my son got bitten by these buggers.

Room Tip: you got to pay for parking, but for $12 with in and out privilege, it is worth it.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank oldbutcool

Reviewed November 30, 2011

Clean, safe. Quiet internally, but oh, my, that construction at the back!!!! Good thing I was up and out soon after 7 - the suite would have been unusable during the day. Space was great, but amenities were lacking - small, thin towels, no shower cap, conditioner or body lotion, so pack your own.

Kitchen would have been a disappointment if I'd been hoping for even light cooking. Utensils - one frypan. A few dishes & scraps of cutlery. Toaster & coffeemaker, but oops- no electrical outlet in the kitchen. If the outlet on the stove had been in working order, I could have used it by balancing one of the coffeemaker on one of the stove burners,, but that's not a great solution.

Flat screen TV in bedroom juts out into narrow walkway between the wall and the foot of the bed -- a real safety hazard, especially at night. Allergy sufferers will want to be aware that heavily sceented cleaning products are used.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you on the back - you'll be against the construction site. And that's...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Albertagal_11
Reviewed November 13, 2011

My husband and I booked this hotel through hotwire for our visit to Ottawa. When we arrived at the hotel we noticed that the lobby smelled really bad (like old smoke and filth). When we went up to the room the hallway was in really poor condition and the room was along the same lines. Old old old. Old paint, small bedroom and bathroom and there was filth built up in all of the nooks and crannies. Definitely not somewhere where you want to lay your head down for even a second. We should have taken pictures to post.

We checked our within 20 minutes and ate the money we'd paid on Hotwire. Will never book another 3 star hotel in hotwire again.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank WpgFoodie101
Region39, Regional Director Of Operations at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2011

"I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay Deluxe Ottawa-Downtown. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

We booked through an internet service. When we arrived, we asked for a rrom with a balcony. We were told that there were no balcony rooms left for the pricerange we had booked. Then Erin at the front desk (without any encouragement) said "I hate to tell you this, but I'm upgrading you." Erin booked us in a suite!! Beautiful. Location is great....staff were great, and the suite was a real treat. I've stayed here before on business, and again was very satisfied. I would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TREDLindsay_Ontario
Region39, Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2011

"It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay Deluxe Ottawa-Downtown. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

Reviewed October 26, 2011

had a blow out with my father & needed a place to stay on x-mas day.
got this hotel though priceline & it helped save my holiday.
it was a FULLY furnished one bedroom suite with a FULL kitchen in a great location in downtown Ottawa!
thank you extended stay suites & priceline!!! :)

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo

"I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay Deluxe Ottawa-Downtown. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months. We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our customers will continue to bring them back for future stays.

Reviewed October 22, 2011

We were greeted by a really friendly staff, which really exerted themselves to help us with a problem with the reservation, even though not helping would have made more money for the hotel.
The room turned out to be a really nice suite with a full kitchen, a living room and big balcony. The room was clean and quiet. It's downtown, a walking distance from all the monuments, so I was really pleased with this place.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mikmika_27

Reviewed October 19, 2011

I stayed 2 days at this hotel. The overall look of the room is dirty. The carpet looks dirty, the room is cheap, even the paint looks old. The elevators are slow. They say they have high speed internet, but I did a speed test and the download speed is 0.5 mbs/s wich is as slow as dial-up internet. For a couple bucks more you can find a much better place.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Sebastien G

"Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at Extended Stay Deluxe Ottawa-Downtown. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology.

Let me assure you that your experience is certainly not typical, and that we have put in place measures to ensure that the type of stay you had won't be repeated. Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again if future travels will bring you into our area."