“Wonderful B&B”

Ranked #4 of 53 Ottawa B&B and Inns
London
“Wonderful B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

My husband and I had a wonderful stay in this Inn on honeymoon in May 2009. We spent two nights in the Inn and only wish we had been able to stay longer. We were pleasantly surprised by how well located the Inn was - a short walk from a number of the city's main tourist attractions including the war museum and parliament buildings. The staff were very friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble (they happily supplied us with an iron and ironing board, tea and biscuits in our room and booked us our taxi to the airport). Our room was very clean and suited our needs perfectly. The breakfasts at the Inn were amazing - the choice was fabulous and the food of an extremely high quality. We were also given free access to a computer and the internet. We would definitely return in the future.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2009

We spent 3 nice nights at the Albert House. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and breakfasts are excellent. They were helpful getting us directions, answering questions about the bus lines, recommending a restaurant for a light pre-concert dinner, bringing a pot of coffee in the evening, etc.

The facility is fine, not plush, but very adequate. We were in town for a concert and some touring. Since the inn mentioned having bicycle storage, we brought our bikes which we used to get around to tourist spots two of the days. On the third day it rained, and we used the buses that stop across the street.

We had a room in the front of the building. Albert St. is a busy bus route, which leads to a fair amount of traffic noise during some hours. Traffic slacks off later in the evening. If noise is an issue, pick a room in the back. The room was fine for our purposes. The mattress was a bit stiff, but all in all we enjoyed our stay very much. The location is great, and it's close to an excellent bike trail system as well as many restaurants. The concert we attended was at the National Arts Center, less than a mile down Albert St. and we were assured it was safe to walk to and from.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
north bay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

I just spent 3 days at this inn. The staff were accessible & always willing to make your stay with them, or being in Ottawa, as comfortable as possible. I stayed in room 305, which had a very comfortable bed, great t.v. and shower/bath. I decided to stay in on Sunday pm & enjoyed supper that was delivered to my room for a very reasonable rate. Perfect for me, as I had been out 2 pm's for supper while visiting my daughter in Ottawa, & as she was working, & I was tired, it couldn't have been more perfect. The inn reminded me so much of places I stayed in Ireland, with their inherent charm. Breakfast available at more extended hours than most b & b's I've stayed in, with lots of choices and made to your order. You can get tea/coffee/juices/hot chocolate delivered to your room for free right up until 11 pm. I did find the buses on Albert St. loud, as I like to have my window open, & I'm not used to them, as I live in the country and I'm not used to it. If you want a high end hotel or b & b, then that's what you should look for. If you want comfortable, clean, personable, flexible, then I'd highly recommend this inn. They are within walking distance to lots of shopping & restaurants, if you want to leave your car behind

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Pointe Claire, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2009

We stayed in the deluxe king room with large double jacuzzi; found it very clean & comfortable. The innkeeper was very friendly, served us coffee on arrival & started a cozy wood fire in the lounge for us. The breakfast was excellent, served from 8 till 11.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2009

Just spent the weekend at the Albert House Inn. This Inn is affordable, pleasant, quiet and close to everything. The staff were personable and their breakfast menu was superb with many choices for the choosy eater. Try the wild blueberry or apple pancakes-better than home made. The Inn offers limited room service with a small choice of meals. One evening, we had an nice light supper of their sandwiches and dessert.
Great personal service-I left my house keys, cheque book and few other personal items behind. I phoned them and they sent it all back to me at their expense by one day messenger service.
Happy Montrealers!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
west ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2008

Having travelled a lot over the years, Ottawa was able to give me exactly what i was looking for. A spotlessly clean city, friendly , peaceful people, lovely scenary, brilliant food and nightlife.

The Albert Inn is close to all of this, situated a mere 10 minute walk to the centre of things. Check inn was a breeze, staff pleasant, and secure parking was a big plus. Complimentary coffee on arrival was a nice touch.

We requested a high floor and were given a room right on top, which was nice and quiet. There are an awful lot of stairs to the upper floor, so not suitable for those with mobility issues. The room was fairly small but really clean, but be warned this place is extremely old fashioned!! Everything in the room looked like it came from my grandmothers sitting room!! The wallpaper and furniture are so dated and worn out! The toilet and shower facilites are in two seperate little rooms within the room, and the toilet room has no ventilation! That's a big no-no in my book, considering it's a small bedroom.

Breakfast was fine, plenty of everything, but not as amazing as some have mentioned.

Still all in all it was fine, but i wouldn't stay again, there are better places to be had, just have a good look around

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
albertinn, Owner at Albert House Inn, responded to this review, September 29, 2008
Just a few comments re Jocksters review.

Our Inn is advertised on our website and all other publications as an historic, Victorian inn built in 1875 and we do our utmost to maintain the heritage ambiance of the building, including "old fashioned" wallaper. The vast majority of our guests enjoy this atmosphere which they find very comfortable and relaxing after a high priced, ultra modern hotel.

Regarding the complaint about the stairs (even though a room higher up was requested), It states quite clearly on our website:

"Stairs:

Our Breakfast Room is located on the lower level of the Inn, down one set of stairs. Our guest rooms are located on three different levels and we have no elevator, so if climbing stairs is a problem for you, please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate you on a lower level."

If Jockster had mentioned that the stairs were a problem when they were shown to their room, we would certainly have moved them if it was at all possible.

Our rooms are competitively priced as per our "good location" and other amenities and we offer a variety of rooms and prices.

I am somewhat surprised regarding the comment about our breakfast as "fine" and wonder what their experiences have been and what their expectations were when the vast majority of our guests say that is one of the best complimentary breakfasts with the most choices that they have ever had.
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2008

This place is an Inn, not a little B&B, and so you don't have much personal contact with other guests unless you wish to be friendly at breakfast. Also there are no home owners present, as such, to give you little tips on what to do and see. But the gal at the desk was helpful and friendly (although I would have appreciated more detailed info re local restaurants...and frankly some hot tips would have been a scoop!!). We had a plentiful, hot breakfast, too. Our room way up on the 3rd floor was a cosy and nice getaway retreat: very comfy. The location is great (in downtown Ottawa, literally 10 minutes walk from Parliament Hill). You might want to figure out, before you come to Ottawa, where you plan to eat if you wish to eat like a gourmand or check out ethnic cuisine. yes, parking is extra but that's city life. I would definitely recommend this place.

• Liked — Location. nice bright clean room
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)