“Excellent highly recommend it”

Albert at Bay Suite Hotel
Ranked #2 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent highly recommend it”
Reviewed August 28, 2007

We stayed at this hotel earlier this month with my brother who was visiting from England. The room layout in the 2 bed apartment was very well laid out with the bedrooms being either side of the main living and kitchen area. We have 3 kids so my husband and i shared a room with our 2 boys and my daughter was going to sleep on the couch. However when she saw the closet (which was about 6 feet sqaure) she opted to sleep there on couch cushions and a sleeping bag which we had bought with us. we left her door open and the dining area had a dimmer switch which i used at night on low. The first moring i rang down to housekeeeping for 2 more dinding room chairs. To be honest i wasn't expecting them until later on in the day but within 5 minutes there was a knock on the door and the chairs were there. It took us about 20 miutes to walk from the hotel to the byward market and so this made everything we wanted to do an easy walk. The bus service is also excellent and we used it a lot on the civic holiday Monday where we paid $5 for a family ticket and could ride all day. we caught 3 different buses and never waited more than 5 minutes for anyof them. Would definitly stay in the hotel again and i highly recommend it for families. Never heard any noise at all very well soundproofed and the staff (particularly housekeeping were very friendly.) Only one small critisism. In the bathroom there was a notice saying in trying to be more enviromentally friendly if you left your towels hung up then they would not be changed. We hung them up every day and still had fresh ones anyhow. Oh well - we tried.

• Liked — spacious suites
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2007

We booked through TicketPIlot. This hotel is actually very close to downtown, a short walk, and so is very close to all the places in Ottawa that most tourists would want to see. The rooms are great -could not be improved upon. The beds are extremely comfortable with high quality linen and pillows. They have free wireless internet, which I love. The only down side was the service left something to be desired. If you find that you don't need assistance for anything - then no problem. We requested blankets that never arrived, then we reserved a shuttle that was in fact not reserved. It was kind of a passive aggressive kind of service - they would say yes, and then not follow through. I believe this behavior was the work of the fellow on the desk at night - so the day staff were probably much better. Even though, I would highly recommend the hotel because of the roominess of the suites, they can't be beat.

• Liked — The roominess, the location, and the beds!
  • Disliked — The service from the night staff.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Washington DC
Reviewed August 21, 2007

Thought this was a great hotel. As others have noted, the suites are spacious: our one-bedroom was really a small apartment. Although one doesn't necessarily intend to spend much time in a hotel room whilst on vacation, having so much breathing room made hanging out in the suite not unpleasant. I also enjoyed having the amenity of a full kitchen: was able to stock the fridge up with local (Canadian) wine and hang out on the balcony sipping a glass as the beautiful sunset lit up the sky over Hull.

• Liked — The size of the suites
  • Disliked — Had to leg it to the market, etc., but got in my exercise for the weekend.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 19, 2007

positives: I have visited Ottawa numerous times, but this was my first time staying at the Albert at Bay hotel. I made my decision based on the reviews from trip advisor. The hotel is not located in the downtown core, therefore it's a peaceful and quiet stay. Upon arrival the hotel staff were very friendly and assisted us in finding the destinations were planning on visiting throughout the stay. I stayed in the one bedroom suite, which was amazing. The suite had 2 bathrooms, a full kitchen, big bed and a pull out couch. It was such a comfy room and I didn't feel cluttered at all. There are a variety of restaurants in the area so food wasn't a hassle either. The newspaper in the morning was an added bonus as well since I was't expecting it. The price was also amazing we booked online and received the special rate of $109/ with parking including!! The service is also spectacular, we requested extra blankets to be sent to our room and within 5 minutes they were there!
negatives: the biggest drawback to this hotel is the fact that it isn't in a centralized location. It took us a LONG time to get to the byward market, so if you're not one for walking, I wouldn't suggest staying here. It also took quite some time to get to parliament, and just to downtown in general. Another drawback I experienced was that one of key cards wasn't working properly, but it was quickly fixed upon request. One of the showers was also leaking quite a bit of water onto the floor which was a bit annoying as well since the shower head was spraying water in all directions no matter where you positioned it. However, out of all these issues, the only one that I would seriously consider when planning a trip to Ottawa would be the location. It's quite the journey to get to places so bring your comfiest runners with you!
Overall, I had a pleasant stay at the Albert at Bay.

• Liked — the value, the spacious rooms, the service
  • Disliked — the location..was a journey away from a lot of things
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank GuyaneseMadness
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 19, 2007

This is a fine hotel near the center of Ottawa. The rooms are extremely large and have a kitchen, sitting room and bedroom.
The hotel offers wifi and has a laundry room. There's a grocery store next door, which is actually connected to the hotel.
There's a parking garage under the hotel.
All major sights are within walking distance (ie. Locks, Parliament, Notre Dame).

Perfect hotel if you want to explore Ottawa!

• Liked — Location, huge rooms, laundry room, wifi
  • Disliked — Nothing, hotel was fine
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank matthijst
toronto
Reviewed August 15, 2007

I recently visited Ottawa with my husband and 2 kids for 2 nights and stayed at Albert at Bay hotel. We drove in and found ourselves in an alleyway as its entrance and couldn't believe this was the number one Ottawa hotel. A man there told us this was the right place, but we didn't know if he worked there--he certainly did not seem like a hotel employee as he was not dressed as such and did not even speak clearly. But once inside, we were impressed with the size of the suite for the low rates. We found we wished we were closer to the downtown area (it is not right near everything). The staff, however, was pleasant and the lobby area was updated. The restaurant was horrible, though, from the service to the food to the (lack of) cleanliness.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
British Columbia
Reviewed August 12, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights on our first trip to Ottawa. Location was good, but we did a lot of walking - to Byward Market area, to Parliament, and to the Museum of Civilization among other spots.

Our suite was huge. Considering the price we paid ($147 CAD) I was astonished at the size. Two bathrooms, full kitchen, living room with sofa bed, office area, storage room, patio and bedroom. My only issue with the room is the bed was a double (not a queen as booked). Free internet was available in lobby.

The only concern I had was the check in ... the front desk clerk was unbelievable abrupt. Almost rude. Certainly not welcoming or friendly. We later heard the same clerk being totally unhelpful and abrupt with another guest.

Still, I recommend the hotel highly! (The other staff were just fine)

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple