“A great hotel, close to Parliment”

Albert at Bay Suite Hotel
Ranked #2 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed at the hotel based on the good reviews we'd read on the internet... and we're glad we did. Not knowing the city, we wanted to be sure that our accomodation was at least perect.... and it pretty much was.
The staff were great throughout our stay and the room itself was huge. With a living / dining room containing a comfy suite & flat screen TV, fully setup kitchen, main bathroom, bedroom (again with flat screen TV) and en-suite, it was absolutely all we needed for our 3 night stay.
The room was always well cleaned and while not the last word in modern decor, it was still well presented, comfortably and relaxing.
Travelling with a baby, we made good use of the fridge, microwave & kettle in the kitchen. Coffee was topped up daily too.
The only downsides to the hotel are the location. The main roads (Albert / Bay) are busy and there's a bus stop outside the hotel which makes it a little noisy in the front facing rooms. Also, while only 10/15min from the Parliment buidlings, it takes a good 25/30mins to walk to Byward Market / Rideau St and the bulk of the shopping / nightlife / restaurants. That said, the restaurant attached to the hotel serves some brilliant food!
All things considered it's a great hotel as long as you don't mind a bit of a walk to anything past Parliment.

1  Thank 356speedster1975
There are newer reviews for Albert at Bay Suite Hotel

Reviewed October 16, 2011

The hotel has a good location, and the room I had was extremely spacious - actually a big apartment. Large bedroom with two large beds - great sleeping quality - huge tv in both the bedroom and the living room. Well equipped kitchen, living room with both sofa+table and dining table. Good bathroom, nice and clean, A/C that worked well. Reception staff friendly - check in and check out was rapid. Tried the call-a-taxi-phone in the reception, and was told that it would come in 5-10 minutes - after 30 minutes waiting we gave up. Gym on one of the top floors - small but adequat and wonderful view. Newspaper delivered every morning, Coffee and tea in-room. No breakfast, but a small and good restaurant next door (only tried it for dinner), and a small grocery store close by where you can buy food to eat in your room if you like. 10-15 minutes walk to Parliament hill. To be recommended for at stay in Ottawa.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Ragnhild
Reviewed October 15, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel about seven years ago and it was looking a little rough at the time. I'm pleased to say that it is much improved now and is quite clean and modern. The rooms are just as large as they were in the past, but have been vastly improved in look and quality. The free WiFi was much appreciated and was quite quick.

The suite I stayed in was two bathrooms, one bedroom with a queen bed. As a solo traveler, I laughed at having two bathrooms, but the deal I got on the room was too good to pass up. I appreciated having a kettle and tea bags in the kitchen. They could do with some actual mugs as well as larger bowls for cereal.

The pub/bistro on the ground floor of the hotel was pleasant with a good selection of taps and scotches. The only real downside to the experience was the distinct lack of anything close to the hotel. I mean anything: grocery stores, other restaurants, anything. No, the "Quickie" next door doesn't count as a grocery store. I had to walk fairly far to find even a Shoppers to pick up a few items.

Finally, be aware of the price of the parking. At over $20 with taxes, it is kind of excessive.

Room Tip: Albert side of the hotel has noise from passing buses. If that is an issue, get a room near the top...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Adam W
Reviewed October 14, 2011

We had 1000 sq feet apartment suite that included a fully equipped kitchen, one bedroom, two bathrooms (including one en suite), living room, dining room and a storage room. It was like having our own appartment in Ottawa. Indeed, I wish that our rented appartment in Montréal was that good. Since we were going to be in Ottawa for two weeks, it made sense for us to have a kitchen since eating out everyday can get a bit expensive. We have absolutely no regrets!!! In addition to the suite, I loved the gym - it was very spacious, with plentiful equipment. I particularly liked the person TVs. There is even a convenience store on premises. The cleaning staff was very nice. The hotel is also conveniently situated a short walk from downtown Ottawa. The only criticism that I can think of is that the food in the on site restaurant was nothing to write home about.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MagicalRhyme
Reviewed October 12, 2011

We stayed 2 days Oct 5-6 ,2011 . We were 2 families and had 2 suites. Suites were very spacious .The kitchen was well equipped . The beds were some of the comfiest I have ever slept in,the linens very nice.The hotel is very clean.Staff at desk was very friendly and helpful in all our dealings .The location is fabulous with a short walk to Parliment Hill and so much more downtown.I would stay at this hotel again for sure .

1  Thank shellster
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We couldn't have asked for a better hotel. Location was perfect. We had an extremely spacious 2-BR suite with all the amenities (kitchen, dining area, living room, three huge closets, a safe for your valuables). The beds/linens/pillows were unbelievably comfortable. The hotel staff was pleasant and helpful. I liked the added security of the hotel & parking garage. We will definitely stay here again when we come back to the area.

1  Thank Diane500
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I've been travelling to Ottawa occasionally for business for about 20 years. A colleague told me about Albert @ Bay and I've never looked back. Over the years the decor has sometimes been dated but recently it has had a major overhaul and updated and they now have large flat screen TV and WiFi but the friendly staff and space are still A+. Whenever I had any questions or needed something the staff was more than willing to oblige.

For my money, you can't get better value in downtown Ottawa.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter but tend to be dark as you are looking across an alley into another ho...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business