“Would never stay there again!!!”

Best Western Plus Ottawa Kanata Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #39 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
“Would never stay there again!!!”
Reviewed January 16, 2012

From the time we walked into this hotel the service was lousy. The young ladies were not very friendly, actually downright rude. The night staff which were men were great. As we walked into lobby there was no elevator and while waiting for men to bring our belongings up the stairs, I seen 2 bugs crawling along baseboards. We then proceeded to walk into our room to find dirty carpets that were in desperate need of washing and none the less vacuuming. Then I walked into bathroom to find toothpaste all over the counter and then turned around to see a dirty toilets. Where the seat and lid join was all yellow...looked like someone had urined all over and all the had done was wipe. Into the crevices you need more than that. Then we noticed that the ceiling was all full of yellow spots to find out in the morning that the ventilation was not working. There was so much humidity after one shower that the whole ceiling was dripping yellow fluid. It was so bad you had to cover your head to get my things out of the bathroom. And of course my good while shirt was covered in yellow stains. They did change us rooms when we called them up but made it look like they had no idea there had been a problem. It was obvious from when we walked into that room that there had been problems in the bathroom before. There was many complaints from the majority of our team from yellow stains on sheets to body fluids on comforters and to towels that didn't even smell freshly washed. In the morning we went and asked if they had napkins or anything cause we had brought some breakfast things to eat and they gave us plates that had dried up yellow stuff on them which made our decision really easy about whether or not to even consider eating at that restaurant. I forgot to mention that once they changed us rooms, there was this big round rusted thing that was left in our room not sure what it was but there was just so many things that was wrong with this hotel. I have stayed in alot of hotels with my son playing on a travelling team for soccer and hockey and have never seen a hotel like this. I have pictures to even back up all my claims. I was so not impressed with this hotel!! And I can't forget when I complained the hotel gave us a $25.00 credit!! For the price they charged us for the room you could get alot better for a cheaper rate!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kim H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Reviewed December 26, 2011

We had a plesant experience at this hotel. Hotel was clean, neighbourhood was good, staffs were helpful, pool was nice and well maintained, check in was easy.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Even though it is located on a busy street, we didn't hear a sound! Restaurants and shopping across the street. The room was clean and the staff were friendly. We will stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
SRutters, Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa Kanata Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Thank you we appreciate your input and value you as a customer. We hope to see you back soon

Management
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed at Best Western Plus Barons hotel when we went to attend a show at Scotiabank place. The hotel is quite old, although it has been updated recently. The rooms were regular size, the beds and pillows were extremely comfortable - we had the best sleep ever, and we are light sleepers. It was quiet in and outside of the room, did not even hear the heater working. The bathrooms could use some upgrading, but the water pressure in the shower was good, towels and toiletteries were provided. For a one night stay it was well worth the price that we paid ($95.00 through advanced booking). The pool is heated and I believe it is salt water - we made good use of it in the morning, however towels were not readily available at the pool - had to ask reception and they only had 2 towels. It was 8 am, so perhaps the regular service was not done yet at that time. The restaurant on site is reasonable priced and food was surprisingly good. I would recommend the hotel for a short sleep over. Location is near the major road and easy to get to.
Staff was pleasant and check in/out was a breeze.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
SRutters, Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa Kanata Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Thank you for your kind words. We do our best to keep our guest comfortable and give them a feeling of being welcomed.
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2011

My sister and I booked a room based on the photos and thought we would arrive at a modern bright facility. Our check in was very pleasant and the staff delightful and very helpful however when we got to our room it was like walking into a cave,very dark, no welcoming lights. We were told it looked out onto a courtyard so we decided to open the curtain and let some light in. The courtyard was a parking lot and the there was a wee bit of grass but this has a picnic table with burn marks all over it and a rusty old barbecue. Unfortunately it was also the "smoke hole"

The room was clean though dismal and the staff excellent.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ginny L
Thank you for your response. will will be renovating outside area in spring 2012. also, we have replaced the entrance light in the rooms with ones that cast a better light.
Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We stayed over for one night only. Rate was cheap, as we bought from online booking service. The room seemed clean, but smelled like an old cigarette room with tons of perfume laid down by service people to mask the odors. If you're thinking of heading into downtown Ottawa, this hotel is quite a drive (more than 10 minutes) from the downtown area.
Great inside pool, convenient small workout room, and all the spa amenities were fine, such as sauna and whirlpool bath.
I would recommend this hotel if you play less than 100$ and you are not to "fussy" on funny room smells. By the way, the beds (2 queens) were good and blankets and all were okay too. The service folks seemed okay. There was no contintental breakfast available.

Room Tip: Book through an online booking service....rates can drop by 50%
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your review. We are in the process on replacing the carpets in the rooms. It is part of the last phase in our room update and renovation. This will help in the musty smell that you get from dome of our rooms.
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We booked a one bedroom suit,we got a one room with king size bed and a sofa ,the booking was four 4 persons but in the room we have two cups ,two towels,two coffe cups etc.,everything was for two person,at this point I was sure that we paid for four person and we got a room for two person.
First the at the reception desk,we were told that somebody by mistake,put us in the wrong room,but they do not have suits available,so if we want another room we have to pay for it.It was not my mistake,but I have to pay for it.
WE have no room to sleep,they do not care.NO manager to talk to.The receptionist ,Dave,he said this is not his real name,show me my reservation on mine was 4 person,on that one was 3 person,somebody has changed the nr of person,I feel that I am in some third world country,not in CANADA and certanly not in OTAWA.
Guys do not go there,you will not get what you paid for it

Room Tip: Do not go there,I will post photos soon
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank sweetandsour_10
SRutters, Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa Kanata Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Hello We are very sorry for the inconvenience we gave you. I was informed about this issue and was told that you would be speaking with me later the next day. As I was not aware that you had left I did not get the opportunity to talk to you. If you can contact me at the hotel, I will gladly refund you for your second room.

Shawn
Front Office Manger

Travelers are raving about these Ottawa hotels