“Nice plain pleasant place to stay in Ottawa”

Best Western Plus Ottawa City Centre
Ranked #33 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Picton, Canada
“Nice plain pleasant place to stay in Ottawa”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Macie's location is excellent: close to the centre of Ottawa, with buses to downtown at the door, across from a shopping centre, & near the Experimental Farm if you feel like some instant country. It isn't fancy (no pool or spa), but its prices are reasonable. The rooms are clean, quiet & comfortable & the decor is easy on the eye. The staff (especially Wilson on the front desk) are cheerful & eager to help.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
GMMaciesHotel, Customer Service Director at Best Western Plus Ottawa City Centre, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Elizabeth C,

Thank you for taking the time to review Best Western Plus Macies Hotel.

We really appreciate your positive remarks and will pass your compliments on to our Staff and Wilson. It is genuine comments from guests such as you that help motivate us to continue to improve our hotel and service.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back on your next visit to Ottawa.

Kind regards,

Tracey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 12, 2014

No complaints whatsoever about this very clean, modern hotel. Room immaculate, bed comfortable. Ten minutes to downtown Ottawa. Ate at the diner across the street in the mall for the most part. The restaurant located in the hotel basement did not appeal to me at all but that's my own opinion. Found the prices for dinner a little high. Restaurant not affiliated with Best Western btw.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Lindsay Ontario, Canada
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Macies Best Western is convehiently located on Carling near the 417. I find the price reasonable. The restaurant does a fairly good job and that is a good thing as there are very few restaurants nearby. The staff at Macies are friendly and helpful. The hotel is clean. Ottawa is not a cheap city to stay overnight. I find Macies reasonable and a good value.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

1 Thank Terry F
Winnipeg
Reviewed June 8, 2014

The tap in our room was broken (broken cartridge?) and the scalding water burnt my 5 year old daughter's hand. After that, we made the tap off limits and reported it to the front desk (but we left the next day, we only reported it so someone else would not get injured.) Was not impressed that I was overcharged for my room stay (and didn't realize this until a few days later when I was adding up the cost in my head and wondered why it was $50 more than I was told it would be.) I phoned to inquire about this, and was told that this was common practice for "most hotels" as I might make long distance or room service charges and not to worry as I dd not rack up any extra charges. I thought that was dumb, as they had my credit card number, and that in my experience, it is not "common" practice. Anyways, despite this, the room was large and fairly clean. The location was okay, as it was near restaurants and Bayshore mall and parliment was a short drive.The elevator was slow. Breakfast was not free. The front desk staff seemed really busy and the hotel was packed. Only stayed here as all the hotels in the city that I called were booked. I am not sure if I would recommend this or stay here again, as I didn't like how they reacted to me reporting the taps or calling about the strange overcharges. Found parking free and easy in the parking lot. Did not use the pool or gym. The room was larger than most hotel rooms with easy access to ice machine. Liked that our room had a fridge. There was a 24 hour Shoppers Drug Mart across the street and it was fairly close to a hospital.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Great place to stay while visiting Ottawa. Comfortable, great food, close to all amenities, easy to get to and to get downtown. Highly recommend! Staff was excellent, so was the food. Lots of parking, a new place we will go to over and over again each time we visit Ottawa.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Great location from HWY 417 since I am not from the Capital. Only thing is that breakfast not included. The staff are better than the other (Robertson Rd) location. Room is cleaner than other location as well and did not see any big bugs in room.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

1 Thank Rezwanul I
Grand Valley, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Elevator slow as hell, air condition sucked, like living in a tin shack for noise levels, staff did the best they could for what they had to work with, not much help around when your that busy, there was something going on in the lounge, but not enough staff to serve guests who were not part of that group. No security cameras for outside protection of property or self. Would go to Ottawa again, but for our nations capital, Best Western should up their game, this Hotel did not meet the standards that should be associated with our Capital.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends