“Good stay but misleading internet information”

Best Western Plus Ottawa City Centre
Ranked #27 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 4, 2013

1  Thank kinzcan
GMMaciesHotel, Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I just returned from another great stay at Macies. There's new equipment in the gym - treadmill, elliptical, bike - each with a personal TV and iPod hookups. There's a bigger TV in the gym as well, if you prefer that.

I was doing a lot of driving all over Ottawa and the central location of Macies can't be beat. On/off the highway is really easy, downtown is less than 10 minutes away. The easy access and free parking are also big pluses.

I spend a lot of time in hotels and I find the beds at Macies really comfortable. I always sleep great.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 13, 2012

The place is very clean. The breakfest was Ok. The employe at the desk made sure of my identity before she reactivate my room card, a good point for her and for our security. Excellent price-quality place to stay.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I travel for business and have a client near this hotel. I have stayed here over a dozen times in the last four months, staying for up to a week at a time. At ALL times the staff were very friendly and helpful. As they now know me, they greet me by name, ensure I get my favourite room each time, and even the staff in the restaurant know me, with the morning waitress remembering my regular order before I even speak. They may me feel welcome and like part of the family. The room I get is well laid out, is always spotless, and with an easily-controlled temperature. Some of the other reviews mention uncomfortable beds -- not the one I get. Perhaps they are going through a round of replacing mattresses and that other person's room hadn't been done yet? I'm not sure, but mine is always fine.

This location is NOT near the downtown/parliament buildings. If you are looking to see those sights, you may want to check out something closer to that area. However, it is on Carling, a short cab ride away from Preston, the "Little Italy" neighbourhood with great restaurants and bars. While the decor in the hotel restaurant is quite basic, the food is excellent -- I've never been disappointed.

Room Tip: I like the #11 room on each floor -- the windows face a tree and across the way, a brick wall with n...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Kevin A
GMMaciesHotel, Customer Service Director at Best Western Plus Ottawa City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear Kevin A,
Wow, what a great review. We want to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write about your positive experiences. It is through kind compliments such as yours that keep us focused on striving to be better and better. We will pass on your kind comments to all of our staff and I know they will truly appreciate them.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Best Western Plus Macies Hotel.
Kind regards,
Tracey Power

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Very good location, I drove from Toronto to Ottawa, I was able to park for free on the hotel..

Staff was very friendly, room was overall very good. Bathroom was a bit outdated, but it was fine for me.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel while on training. This could be a good hotel if not for 2 things :

- The mattresses were too soft and didn't provide any good support.
- The top layer of the mattresses were of a foam-like substance that just felt too hot.

Everything else was pretty good :
- Friendly and competent service
- Clean
- Large room
- Descent WiFi signal with sufficient speed

I'm pretty sensitive about noise and the noise level (mostly ventilation) was average or slightly bellow average.

However, since when I spend a night at an hotel, my primary goal is sleeping, if I can't sleep or en up throwing the covers on the floor and sleeping there, I can't give this hotel a good rating!

I asked at the front desk if they had room with firmer mattresses. They replied that they didn't really know. Getting an apology instead of a solution might be polite, but it doesn't fix the problem!

Given the fact that I stayed in motel that costed 70$ per night and offered better bedding, I find this to be greatly over priced.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
GMMaciesHotel, Customer Service Director at Best Western Plus Ottawa City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear Samuel G,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Tripadvisor.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the difficulties you faced while staying at Best Western Plus Macies Hotel. As a family run hotel in business for over 70 years, we take complaints very seriously and we are disappointed we did not resolve your issue with the service we strive for.

If you consider returning, please contact me and I will endeavor to provide you with a firmer mattress.

Kind regards,