“A repeat visit, just as good as the last one....”

Best Western Plus Ottawa City Centre
Ranked #27 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I recently had another stay at Macies Best Western when I was in Ottawa visiting family. The rooms are very good - clean, spacious, and well appointed (the internet connection is easy and very fast). The location is very good - access to the main highways is convenient and it's so quick to get from the hotel pretty much anywhere in Ottawa you want to go. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed December 6, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel for the first time for 4 nights this week and I don't know how anyone could find anything wrong here. The hotel room was very nice and spotlessly clean, the staff were all helpful and friendly, the location was ideal and the room service food was great. As a non-smoker I was on the 4th floor which non-smoking and I was never bothered with smoke odours anywhere in the hotel.
I used the hot tub once which was very relaxing after a long day at work. Everything in the fitness area was spotless with a small but good selection of exercise machines.
After I checked out my car would not start and they loaned me their battery booster which got me quickly on my way and saved me waiting for CAA to come.
I am looking forward to a return business/pleasure trip there later later this month.
This is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in period.

Room Tip: I had a room near the stairs so I could come and go without having to use the elevator which I don...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank LarryH49
GMMaciesHotel, Customer Service Director at Best Western Plus Ottawa City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2011

Dear LarryH49,

Wow, we would like to thank you for your wonderful review and comments.

We always enjoy receiving positive feedback, as it reinforces our commitment to providing guests with excellent service and value.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Best Western Plus Macies Hotel.

Customer Service Director

Reviewed October 14, 2011

Nine of us stayed there for the Thanksgiving weekend, to join in on family festivities in the west end of Ottawa. Clean, comfortable and all around pleasant. Heard that the line-up for breakfast was very long on Sunday, so we got a recommendation (from another guest) for what turned out to be a great bagel place. The place is surrounded by road construction, so be prepared for a little frustration. Front desl staff were friendly & helpful. Will stay there again. Enjoyed the free apples!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Pilvi4444
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I booked this hotel for my parent's travel accommodations based on the reviews I found on Trip Advisor ... The hotel was nothing to RAVE about. Most of all what was disappointing was the fact that it was never noted that this hotel allows smoking. Yes, its true. The 2nd floor is designated to smokers and those with pets. Of course being that the hotel uses the same ventilation system, lets just say that hotel could have been considered a complete smokers hotel.

Be aware that there is a lot of construction in that area and was a real frustration for the people transporting them to and from the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank righteousfox92
GMMaciesHotel, Customer Service Director at Best Western Plus Ottawa City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Family owned and operated for over 70 years, Best Western Plus Macies Hotel always endeavours to provide excellent service and value to our guests.

We are sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your stay. We agree that smoking rooms present a challenge and that is why our hotel will be going smoke-free as of January 2012. We do not allow pets in our hotel and each room does have its own ventialation system. We also understand the construction on Carling Avenue has made it difficult to navigate. It is expected to be completed in Spring 2012.

Please rest assured we have taken your feedback seriously, as it helps us to provide our guests with the high level of service they have come to expect from Best Western Plus Macies Hotel.

Reviewed October 12, 2011

Macies is a nice hotel, my room was well appointed and clean. There's a restaurant downstairs that I used for breakfast; the food was well cooked and prices were reasonable. The staff were very friendly. My complaint is (probably the carpeting) that the whole hotel smelled of smoke. Fortunately I was able to open my bedroom window, and I used the a/c unit to recycle the air. That cleared my room so I wasn't uncomfortable, but when I got home I felt my clothes were somewhat smoky. So if they would rip out and replace the carpet, I think Macie's would be a great value. For now, if you are sensitive to smoke, don't go.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor so you can open your window.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ghengiscon
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights while on personal business and a bit of touring the area. The staff were friendly and professional. The room I reserved was waiting for me upon my late arrival. Being a woman travelling alone, I felt safe at this hotel. The room and bed were very comfortable. The no additional charge wireless internet was appreciated.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Dogsports
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We stayed here for three days on our recent road trip through parts of Canada.

We had a large King room which was very tastefully decorated - the bathroom was large and comfortable with a lot of counter space, the room had a refrigerator, the linens were first rate and the bed was very comfortable. Parking was easy, there was an in house coin laundry, professional and courteous staff and a small restaurant in the basement.

We are not early risers on a trip like this and each day we went for a late breakfast. The restaurant is very small but the service, provided daily by Francine, was excellent and friendly. We ate there each day and found the prices reasonable and the food good. We would recommend that too.

We toured Ottawa and even made a day trip to Montreal - a bit of a drive at the low speed limits (compared to the US) but enjoyable - and Macies hotel was a welcome place to return each evening.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bensus
GMMaciesHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

We would like to thank you for your kind comments about our Hotel and the Cafe 1274 restaurant. As a family owned and operated hotel for over 70 years, we endeavour to provide the best service and value to our guests and we appreciate knowing we have done our job.

Customer Service Director