“Impressive rooms, free wi-fi and a simple breakfast at a very good price.”

Best Western Plus Ottawa Downtown Suites
Ranked #11 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 26, 2013

First impressions both by photo and when you arrive outside the Suites do not do it justice. I encountered a vey slick check-in ahead of a 4 night stay while on a business trip. The rooms are of one standard - 2 very comfortable double beds, clean and well supplied bathroom with views of the city (not a selling point). As I was working, the Suites provide an excellent central base for work. Downtown nightlife is a 20 minute walk in a city that feels safe if not that remarkable. The staff were charming and helpful while the rudimentary breakfast meets the needs of the average traveller. A good experience and bag storage for late departures is readily available.

Top food place: The Keg - probably the best steak I have enjoyed in all my 35 years of travel combined with excellent and intelligent service - go for the restaurant rather than the bar experience.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
VictoriaParkSuites, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa Downtown Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Richard M,

I would like to start off by saying thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I was so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that your check in process was efficient.
It would seem as well that you were able to take in some culture around our area and that was great to see as well.

I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel when your travels bring you to our neighborhood again.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Ottawa Downtown Suites

Reviewed September 25, 2013

September 2013 I attended the Television Animation Conference which was hosted at the Museum of Nature in Ottawa. I found one of the closest hotels to the Museum as I wanted to roll our of bed and be at the conference with no rushing around. I booked at the Best Western Plus Victoria Park Suites. I was very happy with my room which had a separate bedroom with King Bed, 2 TVs, a kitchenette, and whirlpool tub. The complimentary breakfasts were really nice and coffee was excellent (which is not something I usually find in hotels) The neighborhood is great as it's just a short walk to either Bank Street of Elgin Street - and the Rideau Canal is only a 15 minute walk away. I used to live in this neighborhood as a teenager and it is a really nice part of Ottawa. I highly recommend this hotel especially if you are traveling with friends who want to share a room. There is a pull-out sofa bed in the living room.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
VictoriaParkSuites, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa Downtown Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear SurvivorRoom305,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. The detailed recount of your time with us is very much appreciated and will be very useful for future guests looking to make an informed decision on where to stay while in Ottawa.
I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that you enjoyed our neighborhood!

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to the Nation's Capital!

Front Office Manager.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

The rooms are reasonably large, well equipped, very traditional, not stylish in any way. So is the bathroom.
This hotel hits the demands of cost sensitive travelers. Nothing special, good mattresses and an arsenal of different types of pillows... really impressive.

Somewhat negative is the fact that you cannot open the window far enough to exchange the air in the room reasonable fast.
When I entered my room (5th floor) it had a bad smell and such an open window would have helped.
Once I wanted to take a shower around 8am but the water went cold very quickly and did not heat up - so - no shower in the rush hour. Did not happen at nights though.

Good hotel with a very very basic breakfast at a reasonable price in Ottawa, although quite remote from the market area with bars and restaurants, etc.

Dear lonesomerider,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate your feed back.
I was happy to read that you enjoyed our pillow menu; a little something different that many of our travellers have come to love.
I was sorry to read that you found a bad smell in your room. I have informed our housekeeping manager of this to look into it further. As well I was troubled to read that you were not provided with enough hot water to take a shower. If this does happen please do let us know right away so that we are able to rectify the issue immediately.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Ottawa.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located reasonable walking distance from the parliament buildings and Byward market, and is across from the newly renovated and revamped Museum of Natural History (which is free Thursday nights). It is also right near bike rentals, Rama Lotus yoga studio, and lots of great restaurants and shops. It has underground parking for an extra fee. The breakfast is ample with a variety of hot or cold options. The staff was friendly, the room was clean and our 5th floor room had a good view. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view and are quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
VictoriaParkSuites, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa Downtown Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear janadian3,

It was a pleasure to read your review. Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that you will return to us again on your next trip to Ottawa.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

The hotel is situated nicely in Ottawa, just a couple of blocks away from a ton of restaurants. The front desk staff was very friendly and accomodating. The free breakfast is a nice touch. The rooms were clean and perfect for a single business traveler.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
VictoriaParkSuites, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa Downtown Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear adharris0915,

I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed all aspects of our hotel including our friendly staff! We appreciate your comments and hope that you will return to us again on your next visit to the Nation's Capital!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We recently completed our 5th stay at the hotel, and its pretty much the same but there are a few things that need improvement.
The policy is that towels on the floor need to be washed. I noticed that the mat that is placed in front of the shower was not replaced despite it being on the floor and having an obvious stain. The stain was cause by me so I expected since it was so noticeable e it would have been changed. Nope, it w as flipped over, not good. It mad me wonder about the towels, if they were just folded and put back.
While comfortable for some the beds were too short and too soft for me. I sat in the chair because my back ached. I am not sure if there are options regarding mattresses, but a firmer mattress would be nice.
The breakfast was fine and staff while not friendly did their best to keep up with people and the demand. It would be nice if guests did not crowd around the toaster area, but that is a reflection off guest rudeness and not staff.
Front desk staff were for the most part helpful. Parking is very tight, but we are used to it and luckily found a spot and parked the car for the weekend.
Would I stay here again, probably but I will be looking around for other options as well.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Vidaltravel,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor. Your comments are very much appreciated.
I was troubled to read that you had issues with the replacements of our towels each day. I have forwarded your comments to our housekeeping manager so he may follow up as to why this might have occured.
As well, i'm sorry to hear that you found our mattresses to be uncomfortable. Although we don't offer a selection of mattresses we can offer a bedboard to be put under the mattress which can make the mattress more firm. It can simply be requested at the time of reservation.
I'm sorry that you encountered unfriendly staff in our breakfast room. I have forwarded your comments to the Banquet Manager to follow up with his team.
We do hope that you will chose to join us again on your next visit to Ottawa and if I can be of further assistance personally please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I can be reached at 613.288.0986 or by email at andrew@victoriapark.com.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here from Aug 19-22, two adults and two teenagers. In Ottawa for some sightseeing and checking out universities for our daughter.
What we liked: The deluxe queen suite comfortably accommodated our 4 travellers and it was sparkling clean each day. Easy check in and staff were super friendly and accomodating (breakfast staff seemed a bit surlier than the front desk and cleaning staff but you don't really have to interact with them). We got a good room rate with the stay for 3 pay for 2 deal.
What we didn't like: I'd say the breakfast was middle of the pack for free continentals. The biggest issue for a multi-day stay is that it was exactly the same every day, right down to the muffins and yogurt varieties. However, the coffee was above average and although the hotel was full, there was always room to sit. Many other reviewers have mentioned the parking. The cost was included in our package but parking (we have a small SUV) required skills last used in our driver's licence test (8 point turns etc). Best to park your vehicle and leave it for the duration. Which brings me to the next point - location. Now, this is not the hotel's fault in any way since thanks to mapquest and GPS there is no reason not to be aware of distances but I think a 15 minute walk to Byward Market is a real exaggeration. Just want other travellers to be aware that it is at least 25-30 minutes to the Rideau/Byward areas unless you're racewalking. 15 minutes to Parliment Hill is about right. There is a bus that goes right by the hotel and will take you Rideau Centre directly. We used this option one day when it was hot and we were too tired to walk. Within 2 blocks however is Elgin Street which has a great variety of restaurants and pubs, so dining is accessible. We did have to get a second wifi code (5 devices - 4 iphones and an ipad and I think the limit is 3) but this was readily available. The wifi is spotty during peak times however I have noticed this at other hotels also. There was no pool in the hotel. Normally not something I would care about but it was REALLY hot the week were there.
Overall, for the price I believe this hotel was a good value and met our expectations. For future travel I would compare the Residence Inn for closer proximity to attractions, better breakfast and a pool - however for us the price was much better at the Best Western this time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear mom2girls09<

I would like to take a moment to thank you very much for posting your review on Trip Advisor. Your thoughts and comments allow us to continuously refine our service and product.
Firstly, I was thrilled to read that you and your kids enjoyed your sightseeing trip in Ottawa and that you enjoyed your suite and the staff.
Secondly, I was troubled to read that our breakfast room staff were not the same. All of our staff do their best on a daily basis to ensure that their service delivery and interactions with guest pair seamlessly together.I will review your comments with our Food and Beverage Manager.
Lastly, I'm sorry that you had challenges with navigating our underground garage. We hope that you will return to us when your next opportunity brings you to Ottawa.