“A menu for pillows, no warm water to shower, ...”

Best Western Plus Ottawa Downtown Suites
Ranked #10 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Munich, Germany
“A menu for pillows, no warm water to shower, ...”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

The rooms are reasonably large, well equipped, very traditional, not stylish in any way. So is the bathroom.
This hotel hits the demands of cost sensitive travelers. Nothing special, good mattresses and an arsenal of different types of pillows... really impressive.

Somewhat negative is the fact that you cannot open the window far enough to exchange the air in the room reasonable fast.
When I entered my room (5th floor) it had a bad smell and such an open window would have helped.
Once I wanted to take a shower around 8am but the water went cold very quickly and did not heat up - so - no shower in the rush hour. Did not happen at nights though.

Good hotel with a very very basic breakfast at a reasonable price in Ottawa, although quite remote from the market area with bars and restaurants, etc.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
VictoriaParkSuites, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa Downtown Suites, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear lonesomerider,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate your feed back.
I was happy to read that you enjoyed our pillow menu; a little something different that many of our travellers have come to love.
I was sorry to read that you found a bad smell in your room. I have informed our housekeeping manager of this to look into it further. As well I was troubled to read that you were not provided with enough hot water to take a shower. If this does happen please do let us know right away so that we are able to rectify the issue immediately.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Ottawa.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Korean first
Billings, Montana
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located reasonable walking distance from the parliament buildings and Byward market, and is across from the newly renovated and revamped Museum of Natural History (which is free Thursday nights). It is also right near bike rentals, Rama Lotus yoga studio, and lots of great restaurants and shops. It has underground parking for an extra fee. The breakfast is ample with a variety of hot or cold options. The staff was friendly, the room was clean and our 5th floor room had a good view. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view and are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
VictoriaParkSuites, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa Downtown Suites, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear janadian3,

It was a pleasure to read your review. Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that you will return to us again on your next trip to Ottawa.

Forest, Virginia
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The hotel is situated nicely in Ottawa, just a couple of blocks away from a ton of restaurants. The front desk staff was very friendly and accomodating. The free breakfast is a nice touch. The rooms were clean and perfect for a single business traveler.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
VictoriaParkSuites, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa Downtown Suites, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear adharris0915,

I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed all aspects of our hotel including our friendly staff! We appreciate your comments and hope that you will return to us again on your next visit to the Nation's Capital!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We recently completed our 5th stay at the hotel, and its pretty much the same but there are a few things that need improvement.
The policy is that towels on the floor need to be washed. I noticed that the mat that is placed in front of the shower was not replaced despite it being on the floor and having an obvious stain. The stain was cause by me so I expected since it was so noticeable e it would have been changed. Nope, it w as flipped over, not good. It mad me wonder about the towels, if they were just folded and put back.
While comfortable for some the beds were too short and too soft for me. I sat in the chair because my back ached. I am not sure if there are options regarding mattresses, but a firmer mattress would be nice.
The breakfast was fine and staff while not friendly did their best to keep up with people and the demand. It would be nice if guests did not crowd around the toaster area, but that is a reflection off guest rudeness and not staff.
Front desk staff were for the most part helpful. Parking is very tight, but we are used to it and luckily found a spot and parked the car for the weekend.
Would I stay here again, probably but I will be looking around for other options as well.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Vidaltravel,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor. Your comments are very much appreciated.
I was troubled to read that you had issues with the replacements of our towels each day. I have forwarded your comments to our housekeeping manager so he may follow up as to why this might have occured.
As well, i'm sorry to hear that you found our mattresses to be uncomfortable. Although we don't offer a selection of mattresses we can offer a bedboard to be put under the mattress which can make the mattress more firm. It can simply be requested at the time of reservation.
I'm sorry that you encountered unfriendly staff in our breakfast room. I have forwarded your comments to the Banquet Manager to follow up with his team.
We do hope that you will chose to join us again on your next visit to Ottawa and if I can be of further assistance personally please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I can be reached at 613.288.0986 or by email at andrew@victoriapark.com.

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here from Aug 19-22, two adults and two teenagers. In Ottawa for some sightseeing and checking out universities for our daughter.
What we liked: The deluxe queen suite comfortably accommodated our 4 travellers and it was sparkling clean each day. Easy check in and staff were super friendly and accomodating (breakfast staff seemed a bit surlier than the front desk and cleaning staff but you don't really have to interact with them). We got a good room rate with the stay for 3 pay for 2 deal.
What we didn't like: I'd say the breakfast was middle of the pack for free continentals. The biggest issue for a multi-day stay is that it was exactly the same every day, right down to the muffins and yogurt varieties. However, the coffee was above average and although the hotel was full, there was always room to sit. Many other reviewers have mentioned the parking. The cost was included in our package but parking (we have a small SUV) required skills last used in our driver's licence test (8 point turns etc). Best to park your vehicle and leave it for the duration. Which brings me to the next point - location. Now, this is not the hotel's fault in any way since thanks to mapquest and GPS there is no reason not to be aware of distances but I think a 15 minute walk to Byward Market is a real exaggeration. Just want other travellers to be aware that it is at least 25-30 minutes to the Rideau/Byward areas unless you're racewalking. 15 minutes to Parliment Hill is about right. There is a bus that goes right by the hotel and will take you Rideau Centre directly. We used this option one day when it was hot and we were too tired to walk. Within 2 blocks however is Elgin Street which has a great variety of restaurants and pubs, so dining is accessible. We did have to get a second wifi code (5 devices - 4 iphones and an ipad and I think the limit is 3) but this was readily available. The wifi is spotty during peak times however I have noticed this at other hotels also. There was no pool in the hotel. Normally not something I would care about but it was REALLY hot the week were there.
Overall, for the price I believe this hotel was a good value and met our expectations. For future travel I would compare the Residence Inn for closer proximity to attractions, better breakfast and a pool - however for us the price was much better at the Best Western this time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear mom2girls09<

I would like to take a moment to thank you very much for posting your review on Trip Advisor. Your thoughts and comments allow us to continuously refine our service and product.
Firstly, I was thrilled to read that you and your kids enjoyed your sightseeing trip in Ottawa and that you enjoyed your suite and the staff.
Secondly, I was troubled to read that our breakfast room staff were not the same. All of our staff do their best on a daily basis to ensure that their service delivery and interactions with guest pair seamlessly together.I will review your comments with our Food and Beverage Manager.
Lastly, I'm sorry that you had challenges with navigating our underground garage. We hope that you will return to us when your next opportunity brings you to Ottawa.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Good rooms, very clean with a safe provided, so no having to carry the valuables around.
Free WiFi, and secure car parking underground.
Staff were extremely helpful and friendly.
The breakfast was buffet and the food was a pretty good selection.
Hotel was situated about ten minutes walk from the key areas of the city we wanted to see with many good places to choose from for food and drink.
Would choose this hotel again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
VictoriaParkSuites, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa Downtown Suites, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Spoons123,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate your feed back.
I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed our facilities and that you were happy with our amenities as well.

We very much appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and hope to see you agan in the near future.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Although this hotel was pleasant and we were upgraded because we stayed 7 days, we booked it because it was described as having a kitchenette. This was extremely minimal with only a microwave and a few plates. No hot plate or cooking dishes for the microwave. As we were in Ottawa for a sporting event we did not want to be constantly eating out. Breakfast was complimentary, and while the staff tried hard to keep up, there were often long queues and the food was very mass produced. There was a coin operated laundry for guests. The location was rather isolated but there was a bus route to the Rideau Centre and Rideau market (beautiful fresh fruit and vegetables). It was about a 10min walk to a good selection of bars and restaurants. The Museum of Nature is across the street.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KiwiTwo
Dear KiwiTwo,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very much appreciated and allows us the opportunity to continuously refine our service delivery.
I'm sorry to hear that our kitchenette facilities were not what you were expecting. Hopefully you were able to make the best use of the facilites none-the-less. I would be curious to know which channel you booked your room through so that I would be able to verify it to ensure accuracy. It sounds like you were able to visit the Market area and were able to enjoy some local produce. That is great to hear.
I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further detail. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience by email andrew@victoriapark.com or by phone directly at 613.288.0986.
I hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back again on your next trip to Ottawa.