“Best Deal in Downtown Ottawa”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Ottawa City Centre
Ranked #22 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I was looking for a reasonably priced hotel in Ottawa near all the major attractions. The Delta Ottawa was a perfect fit. Location wise, it is 2 blocks away from Sparks St. pedestrian mall and down the street from the Supreme Court Building. An easy 15-20 minute walk from the Parliament Buildings and other attractions. I wasn't thrilled about the $18 daily parking fee but there is a public parking lot across the street that is a little cheaper.

We found the rooms to be clean and up to date. Most important, they were quiet. Great eating in the area (see my restaurant reviews). There is even a Tim Hortons in the lobby area that is open 24 hrs.

Service was friendly and the staff knowledgeable if you need directions or recommendations.

Have stayed in other hotels when visiting Ottawa that were more expensive and offered less so this was a real good find on this trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Marjolaine1202, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Ottawa City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time in giving us your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and it's location. We look forward to seeing you back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,183)

Reviewed July 26, 2013

The staff were so incredible that they made up for any defects. We were only there 2 days, but in particular, Josee and George seemed thrilled to see us at every encounter and leaped to be helpful. If only I could get the same response from my family members, I dipped my hand in the pool and it felt like my perfect warm temperature, although I didn't get a chance to leap in. Being dumb phone inclined, we used the free computers on the mezzanine which was really helpful. Our breakfast buffet and parking were included on a www.livingsocial.com voucher. OK, the toilet ran continually and the second morning's shower was invigoratingly freezing. My husband couldn't sleep due to extreme thickness of the pillows and they had no flatter alternatives. We liked the hotel so much otherwise that all was forgiven.
It was a short walk to Parliament. Considering I use a cane and walk like a turtle I can't understand those of you who say the walk is too long. It seems like a safe area, nice restaurants nearby and we didn't detect any street noise that others complained about. No, our hearing is still acute...well maybe not my husband's, which is a source of controversy. He couldn't tell in the shower when I switched the English TV channels to French which I prefer. Yes, it's a shower and bathroom meant for only one occupant. I don't have the need to congregate in the bathroom, so no problem. Yes, I wish there was a fridge in the room, but we kept the AC high enough to compensate. I also read some of you complaining about tepid AC. Ours simulated the arctic on the hottest day in Ottawa. All in all, it was the perfect launching pad for our trip to the amazing city of Ottawa.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. We will make sure that staff mentioned are informed of your positive comments. We look forward to your return trip to Ottawa and us.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here for a July long weekend. Room was just fine although a bar fridge would have been nice to cool drinks during this hot weather. Service wasn't the best - dirty dishes in the hallway by another room were left there for 2 days and only picked up long after we complained. When the desk clerk told us it wasn't housekeeping's job, it was food service's job - that told us it all. At the better hotels any staff would pick up dirty dishes and not walk by them as it wasn't their job.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Marjolaine1202, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Ottawa City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Hello and thank you for giving us your feedback on your recent stay. Fridges are not a standard in our rooms however upon request and availability we can provide one for you.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I recently stayed at the newly renovated Delta in downtown Ottawa. I was very surprised to see the new modern boutique look of the Delta hotel. Bright colors, fresh décor and great ambience.
Checking in was sweet and simple. Their staff were helpful and friendly!

The room was spacious and well equipped. Excellent wifi / highspeed service. Perfect for someone like me who was traveling for work! This hotel is located in the heart of downtown Ottawa, close to other hotels, business district, retailers such as Holt Renfrew, HBC, Rexall etc ... but everything closes at 6-7pm. Still, there are quite a number of decent restaurants, pubs and cafes in the area, all within walking distance.

I enjoyed my stay and would recommend this hotel!

1  Thank Bee833

We thank you for taking some time in letting us know how we did during your recent stay. We are very happy your enjoyed our new look and the city's attractions.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

2 nights spent during the heat wave week of July 15 2013. Interesting stay in that I remained in my assigned room for only 1/2 hour as the AC unit would not work (yikes). A call to the front desk had a very pleasant mechanical service chap in the room verifying the issue. 2 minutes later the news was given that I would probably want to change rooms as the AC motor had seized. The chap had come well prepared, had a key to another room with him and offered to help me move my belongings. 5 minutes later, I was in a wonderfully cool room and as he was about to leave presented me with a card for a free full breakfast. Smooth recovery! Next day, another minor infrastructure problem as the coffee maker would not work. Found out that the socket into which it was plugged was dead.

A second service event, this time positive, occurred the next day when I needed a few color copies made of a presentation. The business office printer prints in B&W only. Simply went to the front desk, waited a few minutes and presto. Done AND with a huge smile.

So, how do I rate this property as a 4 despite the annoyance of having to pick up and move and having difficulty with the coffee maker? Simple , , , some of the best service I have ever experienced at a Canadian property. Smiles and a positive attitude pulled this from a 3 to a 4 star rating in my books.

A simple but highly appreciated room feature was the connectivity and power options available at the desk. Someone had the business traveller in mind here! Could even and SIMPLY hook up a laptop to the flatscreen TV. Would be great for a family with kids,,, bring a few DVDs and presto!

So, the ultimate test , , , would I return again? Despite a few technical speed bumps (this is "middle aged yet very nicely decorated building") the answer is a clear yes. The crew's service was over the top from checkin through to checkout and all points inbetween. Well done folks!

Carpe diem.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Marjolaine1202, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Ottawa City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

We understand you time is precious, please note we are very grateful for you letting us know how we did during your stay. We are glad you enjoyed your stay even with the few hiccups we were able to redeem ourselves to ensure you were satisfied! We look forward to you next visit with us. Thank you!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hotel has undergone extensive renovations and at the end it has become excellent.
The staff is super-friendly and helpful and the new rooms are great.
The dining room decor is cold, but the staff are welcoming and warm.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Your comments are appreciated, thank you! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your return trip to us.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed at the Delta Ottawa City Centre last weekend. It has obviously been recently renovated and looks great. The staff were excellent, friendly and very helpful. We enjoyed the buffet breakfast in the morning. Again the staff were excellent. Always there to refresh your orange juice glass. I liked the thermos of coffee on the table and the "to go cup" at the end was a nice touch! Will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: We asked for a room on a higher floor overlooking the river. Had a lovely view. Our room was close...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Marjolaine1202, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Ottawa City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Your comments are appreciated, thank you! We look forward to your return trip.