“Nice try”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Beautiful space. Went with positive expectations. Service cold with an attitude from hostess who couldn't be bothered to take my coat or get it later to waiter who kept forgetting our order. Almost 45 min between courses. Small portions for top price. There is better value in Ottawa.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was excited to eat French but was sorely disappointed by the pompous waiter and lacklustre menu.
Mushroom Soup needed some umph
Halibut en Pappilotte was "uneventful", bland and wrong - waiter told me I meant delicate instead of my description above.
Steak Frites was delightful as was Lemon Tartlette for Dessert.
1/2 ltr. Pinot Noir, Appies, Mains & Dessert $200.00 that I will never recoup.
Reservations required but I don't recommend going here (I am a trained chef by trade)

1  Thank J H
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very nice little bistro, on the small side. Reserve ahead of time!
We visited last Saturday with another couple and were not disappointed.
We tried 3 different appetizers, 3 entrées and 2 deserts between the 4 of us. Portions were good for the price.
The service, wow!
Every single staff member gives a damn about this place. I really enjoyed the service, it was top notch. Having grown up in Ottawa, I’ve experienced all the highs and lows of service this city has to offer (lovely government town). This place gives a damn. I also liked the mention of the slow food cooking movement notice in the menu. Relax, enjoy, they don’t push the cooking.

Highly recommend.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I am a real burger lover. Having tried burgers all over North America and Europe, including many of the big name chef's like Daniel Boulud's in Las Vegas and NYC--- I must say that I enjoyed the Black Cat Burger better than any one that I have tasted so far. It's hard to believe that such an awesome burger exists in this little city of Ottawa, but it does, and it rocks!! The bun, meat, toppings, special sauce and cooking temperature were all absolutely perfection. Bravo to the chef and staff--- Took my wife here for her birthday and it was an exceptional experience! Love it, Love it, Love it!!!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Made reservation for a birthday dinner following a friends advice that the food is definitely worth trying. The service was excellent! our server was cheerful, prompt and accommodating. Given that it is a small family bistro and everything is made to order I didn't mind the wait as much but certainly the wait time for meals was a concern for some that evening. The food was wonderful, beef tartar with homemade chips was Awesome! I enjoyed the duck that nite, was cooked perfectly. Overall a pleasant meal, excellent service, but slightly greater than average wait time for meals but definitely worth a try