“Very good and beyond”
Review of Black Cat Bistro

Black Cat Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Cat Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #427 of 2,738 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ottawa, Canada
“Very good and beyond”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Attending the Black Cat with my parents in law, who eat very healthily, and are quite conscious of food, nutrition and caloric intake! We had a great evening, the food was wonderful, the service excellent and the ambiance just right.

Our food choices which I highly recommend were:
- Scallops and pork belly....odd sounding combination but a delight to the palate.
- Steak and frites...every popular dish cooked and served to perfect at the Black Cat.
- Trenette - lovely fresh pasta, light and tasty.
- Duck confit with seasonal vegetables

I had called to make payment arrangements in advance because it was my father-in-laws birthday and he would have absolutely wanted to pay for the dinner and the staff was very helpful in arranging a special table, the prepayment, and even offering to serve dessert with a happy birthday wish. Unfortunately there was a communication mixup between the person I made the arrangements with and our server so none of the prearrangements actually happened (different table, plain dessert, and cheque brought to the table where I had to arm wrestle my father-in-law)....however this did not dampen our enjoyment of the evening at all. I did follow up with the Black Cat just to ensure my credit card would not be charged for the table where we were to have been seated (another group of four who were also enjoying their meals immensely), and was promptly contacted by the Black Cat with profound apologies and the offer of a $50 gift card.

As a small business owner I do go above and beyond to ensure my guests are happy so I was very pleased to see that the Black Cat also does the same. I happily accepted their apologies and the gift card and am looking forward to our next visit, some fabulous food, great wine and excellent customer service.

• Visited September 2012

Ottawa
“Pretty expensive...”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I went here a few years ago for a Christmas dinner with my work - I thought it was okay, but there seem to be a lot of positive reviews, so maybe we were there on an off night? Anyway...

The food was pretty good, but VERY expensive. I had one, maybe two drinks, a salad and a soup and I paid $70 (before tip)!!!
Because we were a larger group, we were sitting right where you came in the door, which I found to not be heated very well, as we were all pretty chilly. We didn't get a chance to sit in the main dining room area though (which looked very nice, by the way), so I'm not sure if it was like that throughout the restaurant.

Our server was nice and friendly, and was pretty quick with the drink service. However, the food took forever! We waited for probably an hour and fifteen minutes for our food. Yes, we were a group, but only a group of 12 or so. Plus, we didn't even order off of the full menu, we were given a menu specifically for groups, which means the kitchen should have been able to prepare it in a decent amount of time.

It was definitely a nice restaurant, and the food was decent, but I probably wouldn't go again just because of how expensive it was!

• Visited November 2011
“WHAT A HAPPY BIRTHDAY IT WAS!”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband took me here for my birthday dinner and for a surprise our best friends joined us!
The server, Hillary, was delightful: pleasant,professional, knowledgeable, attentive and always with her beautiful smile! the menu had a wonderful variety of choices to offer at each course so each of us had something different and shared a taste...all very good, using great combinations of spices to bring out the best of the food! The portion sizes were just right and my striploin was one of the most flavourful I have ever had! Wide assortments of wines were available too.
We will definitely return!!

• Visited September 2012
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“a special treat”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

we had dinner there winter of 2011 and it was simply amazing. service and food was superb and the price did reflect the fine cuisine.

Gatineau, Canada
“love the food, wine price 3 times LCBO price”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Saturday August 18, 2012. I visited the Black Cat Bistro for the 1st time. The food is excellent (really, really good) as well as the service. The ambiance is ok. Nothing to die for. I'm a wine lover and the wine I had was excellent. I researched the LCBO website to see if they have it. Yes! they do for 3 times less. I was very insulted to find out the restaurant charged 3 times the price. The bottle at LCBO is 18.95$ and I paid 60$ or 62$. I will be really fine with 2 times the price. For this reason, I won't recommend the place. I do go to fairely expensive restaurant few time a year as well as some of my friends. We like to try the resto we each other recommend.

• Visited August 2012